Will humans become cyborgs?

Discussion in 'Internet and Technology' started by CarpCharacin, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Danielx64

Danielx64 Developer

+1,395
  2. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Habitué

+164
    Well I have never played it.

I hope humans never become cyborgs :hopeless:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2016
  3. davemacc

davemacc Fan

+393
    It really depends on your definition of cybernetics. It is an artificial device which restores function. Some of them also send and receive signals from the body which would make them cybernetic. I will grant you though, most valves are probably 'dumb' valves.

Can I ask, what worries you about these developments?

4. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Habitué

+164
    There are tissue heart valves. They are either from pigs, or they are made from cow pericardium. The pericardium is the sac that surrounds the heart. What worries me is Ray Kurzweil's predictions coming true, or humans being more machine that human.

5. ozzy47

ozzy47 Tazmanian Veteran

+4,338
    You won't see that in your lifetime.

6. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Habitué

+164
    Let's hope. They simulated the "brain" of a worm in a computer.

7. ozzy47

ozzy47 Tazmanian Veteran

+4,338
    You can simulate just about anything in a computer, don't mean it is practical to use though. ;)

8. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Habitué

+164
    Ray Kurzweil says that matter can be converted into what he calls "computronium". He predicts that all the matter in the universe will be converted into computers. I just hope that does not happen.

9. ozzy47

ozzy47 Tazmanian Veteran

+4,338
    Again, it is a theory, and even if it was to come to fruition, you will never know as it is not going to happen any time soon.

10. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Habitué

+164
    Even if people don't upload their brains like Kurzweil predicted, that dosen't mean that people won't merge with machines.

11. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,145
    Protheses with digital triggers like remotes and voice control will eventually go mainstream, but it will always remain limited to those with lost limbs (like soldiers, war victims, amputees), and those with physical disabilities (as a way to strengthen working limbs. Exoskeletons are the natural evolution here)

12. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Habitué

+164
    Prosthesis that are controlled by the body's nerves will go into mainstream. They already exist. I just hope that people don't go chopping off their arms and legs to be stronger or run faster etc.

13. ozzy47

ozzy47 Tazmanian Veteran

+4,338
    I doubt that is going to happen.

14. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,145
    That's too scifi and impractical. The level of incapacitation that would make them viable would require human assistance in the first place, making it a pointless evolution outside limited uses for the tetraplegic.

Right now, replacement limbs only need basic functionalty like moving in desired directions (walking, helping retain balance during movement), and for hands the ability to do basic gestures like carrying and holding objects. The stimulus necessary to perform these will always need to be persistently reliable, and willpower just isn't.

15. ozzy47

ozzy47 Tazmanian Veteran

+4,338
    Exactly, if people were going to do that, they would have done it in the 70's to try and be like the Six Million Dollar Man. :)

16. Zero Numbers

Zero Numbers Adherent

+30
    It sounds like we're headed for the end times prophecy. When humans will be forced or pushed to receive the mark of the beast.

17. Wes of StarArmy

Wes of StarArmy Adherent

+129
    I've got to meet some cyborgs at conventions and it's very exciting. For example one women I met has a brain implant that has an electric cable that runs under her skin to a battery pack. She's fine now, but without the implant she'd still be suffering from a severe mental illness (IIRC it was severe depression).

Imagine how many people are going to have a quality of life improvement if we could develop a cybernetic dialysis organ that would save people from having to visit clinics every week.

18. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Habitué

+164
    What kind of implant?
    I don't think that is going to happen. Instead, I think that organs will be grown from the cells of the person who needs them. That way there would be no need for immunosuppressant drugs.

19. Wes of StarArmy

Wes of StarArmy Adherent

+129
    It was essentially a small electrode that supplies tiny electrical impulses. Kind of like a pacemaker but for your brain instead of your heart.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.