Will Facebook Kill Forums?

By Rudy, Oct 21, 2010 | |
  1. paradoxG(r)eek

paradoxG(r)eek Adherent

+149
    ....rlof.... you're incredible........ If you need help just tell me which site to visit and I'll happily quote to all post "I do agree" :p

2. gilmoreren

gilmoreren Aspirant

+26
    Given that this discussion has been going strong for about 7 years, it seems that Facebook hasn't triumphed over all!

3. FriendStein

FriendStein Aspirant

+4
    I said this in a different thread...

I'm just going to say that there is no community software can match up with FB.

4. PeterH

PeterH Participant

+1
    Forums are useful for technical topics, social media sites are more interactive but you can't get useful answers on a particular topic as in forums.

5. jacboy

jacboy Aspirant

+6
    I want to write some words about the initial questions if Facebook (or let us talk about social networks in general) will kill forums.

In my opinion, it depends on what your forum is related to. For example, if your running a community about animals, something like the german-based Rennmaus (which is based on WBB 4.1 and very well customized), Facebook will never get you out of the place.

Smalltalk, News sites / communities and classifieds sites (for example to recommend designers) won't live very long if they don't have something very special which binds the user to the site. I'm participating in many of these Facebook groups to find and offer coding, designs, etc. and they doing their job very well.

What makes forums to be in good standing in my opinion is:
    1. Do something specific.
    2. Be different than others (in general and especially in your topic)
    3. Always take care of what your users think and want.
    4. It may be a good idea to make contests or meetups or something special
      to keep your users in a good mood.
    5. Be individual (design, pagination, etc.)
    What do you think about that? What are your breakpoints for a good standing community?

6. Rosey Lumina

Rosey Lumina Aspirant

+3
    jacboyjacboy : It's more difficult these days to make a unique forum, since so many larger forums are out there that people can go to and get quicker answers. However, I have to agree, contests, looking different from the competition and generally being a certain niche will get you somewhere. Being like everyone else won't go anywhere since they won't have a reason to come to your forum.