Reviewed Wii Pros

Discussion in 'Community Reviews' started by Renshaw, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Renshaw

Renshaw Keep at it!

+1
    Name: Wii Pros
    URL: http://wiipros.co.uk
    Topic: Wii Community
    Software: MyBB
    Launch Date: July 2007

Hi All,

Brand new community, just wanting some feedback on the theme, logo, layout etc.

It's brand new, not pumped any advertising into it yet hence no members, just wanting a feel to what other people think!

Thanks all,
    Matt

2. zefer

zefer Neophyte

+0
    I like it, though I'm not sure on the mushroom forum markers...

3. Renshaw

Renshaw Keep at it!

+1
    Why?

Dont the mushrooms do it for you? :bonk:

4. zefer

zefer Neophyte

+0
    They shouldn't be transparant IMO.

5. Fac1

Fac1 Aspirant

+0
    Nice looking forums. I like the mushrooms! ;)

6. Hazel

Hazel Forum Fanatic

+10
    Thank you for your review request, a full review approved. Please be aware that we currently have a backlog.

7. tennisplayer89

tennisplayer89 Aspirant

+0
    Nice forum. I really like the banner.

8. Renshaw

Renshaw Keep at it!

+1
    thank you

9. Sinistra

Sinistra IPB3 ROCKS

+2
    Nice theme and layout ^_^ Maybe a suggestion? maybe different themes for the popular games? I myself don'thave a wii but I LOVE LOZ so maybe a link theme? :p but other then that a nice looking layout

10. Renshaw

Renshaw Keep at it!

+1
    Thanks again :D

11. Tanabe

Tanabe Participant

+0
    I like the forum but think the mushrooms are a bit common. I've seen them on other forums used the same way. Thus I rendered a new mushroom for you :p

Just kidding ^^ if you want to use it go ahead. The forum is really clean ^^

Attached Files:

12. Arkane

Arkane Aspirant

+1
    never seen the mushrooms... but everything looks perfect... real clean, and the theme is consistent.. good luck once you officially open it...

13. Renshaw

Renshaw Keep at it!

+1
    Just a little update. We've now been open nearly a month! So, some stats to help:

Members: 565
    Threads: 1,219
    Most online: 33 members

14. gogoblender

gogoblender shiny happy pantless

+508
    Great looking forum.
    Great index, and...lol, I gotta say I like the mushrooms :D
    I also have to say that the list of members that you've had visit in the last 24 hour is staggering!
    Seems your popular. ^^
    :)

gogo

15. Renshaw

Renshaw Keep at it!

+1
    Thanks for your kind words gogo. I'm suprised too at 166 members in the last 24 hours.

We have lots from official nintendo forums. Sweedish nintendo forums seem to have come visiting today (100 new members today). I don't do any advertising at all, a lot's done Word of mouth, or, other websites! - I'm very happy so far!

Matt

16. gogoblender

gogoblender shiny happy pantless

+508
    Now I'm interested in your secret, lol How did you get game officials to come over?

Skin, content...massive amount of emails and pms?

Them coming over gives your site some great credibility.

:D

gogo

Last edited: Aug 12, 2007
  17. PalePhoenix

PalePhoenix Prince of Dorkness

+29
    As would I be, Matt. Check them closely (use DNStuff.com, or some other IP/spam evaluation site). I used to rate forums around here. For now, I suggest you create a more particular look for yours. Yes, it's good to call upon the whole "Mario" iconography, but if your board is named after the Wii, then there are other titles you might want to have people see when they first arrive.

If you cannot invent your own main index icons, then use something more in the middle of the Wii releases (some play tennis, others use it as a FPS). "Branding" is important, but not in the sense that you should have to ride on the shoulders of what's already a logo for someone else.

18. SageStone

SageStone just david(:

+28
    First Impressions
    The skin’s colors look a little “over used,” with just basically red and white alternations. There are a healthy amount of forums for discussion viewable publicly, not too few, and not too many – just perfect! There are quite a few ads displayed.

Look

Guest's Outlook: Without question, the forums are neatly categorized and all displayed publicly are active. There isn’t any sort of “portal” which would give members an overall idea of how the forum runs, and that would list some of the newest discussion topics. Portals often aid with brining in new members, and I would suggest getting one.

Logos and Banners: The “Mario” banner is a nice idea, but it just doesn’t scream “Wii Pros” to me. Instead it screams out “Mario Party for Wii.” I would really suggest finding a new default theme for the forums which is based around “Nintendo Wii,” which would give the visitors a better perspective of what goes on inside the forums and its purpose. I’m not saying remove the theme; just changing the default theme for guests.

Quantity of Forums: The general structure of the forums are great; I think that some of the forum descriptions could be longer and more descriptive, however. Another idea to boost the visitors’ likeliness to register would be to mark some boards as “private,” so that visitors can see that the boards exist, yet not be able to read the topics within; some board such as “Wii General” and “Wii Help & Advice” would be good to do this with.

Advertisements: I did notice that there are quite a few advertisements, which is not a good thing to have as it makes the forums look “cluttered.” Yes, advertisements are perfectly fine to have, but you can have “too much of a good thing.” I would suggest limiting the number of advertisements down to 1 advertisement per page, such as the one that is displayed in topics as that would be the most likely to get clicks and actually be read. Having advertisements in the registration alert area is never a good idea – it just makes that area look totally cluttered in my opinion, which is not something that you would want a visitor to think.

Color scheme: I do like the red and white color scheme in general, but it does look overused. If not getting a new theme like I suggested above, I would definitely recommend removing the outlining red border, which is what I think sets off the “overused” part.

Styles: The overall style of the forums are great, I don’t really have any suggestions in this area except the above about the border and theme! :)

Page and Image Sizes: The page sizes are great, as they are in most forums. The sizes of the board icons, however, are a bit large; I would suggest scaling them down a bit.

Favicon, Buttons, and Other Graphics: A favicon would be a great idea to have. For your forums, I would suggest something along the lines of the text “Wii,” a mushroom, or just a simple “W.” Any of those would work perfectly with this forum.

Feel

Theme: Obviously, the theme of your forum is the Nintendo Wii, and everything about the Nintendo Wii. There are some off topic forums, which is good to have; there aren’t many off topic boards which is a good thing as well.

Sense of Community: There is a lot of activity on your forums, and your members seem to have a generally high interested in the theme of the forums – the Nintendo Wii.

Postcount and Quality: The post count is doing great – over 37,000 posts with about 1,200 members. The quality and lengthiness of a lot of posts is fine as well.

Participation Overview: For the most part, your members take a great interest in the forums. Most, from what I looked at, have customized their profile with signatures, avatars, and other areas such as location and bio.

Contests, Games, and Diversions: There is an arcade section – or “Game Section” in this case – which members can use to compete for high scores with each other, and it generally fits in with the theme of the Nintendo Wii – gaming. There are also now trade-ins, coins for real-life items and vouchers, which is outstanding! A lot of forums would not even think to give away free vouchers and games.

Management

Points of Registration: A portal would have been nicer to come to, for the purpose of getting more information about the theme without having to read topics, as well as read some of the latest topics right from the portal. The registration process seems swift and straightforward – just how new users prefer it!

Rules, FAQ, and Privacy Policy: I did not see any rules organized in a “Rules” topic; one should be crafted and put-up in the “News & Announcements” area, if possible. Along with that, a FAQ area would be nice as well, such as a Wiki which members could edit in information about the Nintendo Wii, as well as about the forums itself. I also did not see a Privacy Policy. A Privacy Policy should be added ASAP, in most cases they are required as to protect yourself and your forums from certain legality issues.

Quantity and Activity of Staff: The moderator team seems fair; however I would suggest maybe 1 or 2 more moderators due to the amount of members and posts. However, if you feel the current amount is fine there is no problem, I am just suggesting by looking at the number of posts and members compared to the number of staff.

Overall Impressions
    Overall, the forums are very popular and bubbling with activity. I like how the boards are organized. I think that if a lot of my suggestions above are acted on, the forums will become even more popular! I wish you the best with your community.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.