Why WoltLab?

Discussion in 'WoltLab Burning Board' started by Gary, Mar 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Gary

Gary Fan

+35
    I have posted this exact topic on the WoltLab Forum but thought I would expand my audience to get some more feedback. One question that lingers is simply 'why WoltLab'?

I have been using forum software for many years and have extended experience with most; Flarum (still new to the game), FluxBB, IP.Board, MyBB, phpBB, Simple Machines Forum and XenForo. I have a niche project I am about to work on and it is pure coincidence that WoltLab is made in Germany. My project is a Volkswagen enthusiast forum for owners of a Volkswagen and its counterparts here in Australia.

I don't mind paying for a forum software or using a free one. What matters to me is that it is maintained, kept up to date and meets the expectations and requirements any other forum owner would want. I am a fan of having a helpful and active community as well.

I am going to try out the products to see exactly how they work in a live environment but would appreciate any feedback. I know I'm not the first to ask and by no means do I expect to be spoon fed. I just like doing my research before jumping in the deep end.

Thanks guys and I hope to receive some feedback before handing over my hard earned. :)

2. Horizon

Horizon Participant

+66
    Check out my review of their software in this forum.

My primary knowledge of forum software is from a user point of view, not admin, and that is of vbulletin3 and 4, but as they're not maintained now, admins who use that software need to look elsewhere.

WoltLab is maintained, but you pay each year for the upgrades for the new versions. If you initially purchase all their apps, then you need to purchase a upgrade each year for all purchased apps. You are not allowed to only upgrade one app. So, its upgrade all, or none. Something I only found out recently...

WoltLab do a demo, so try it to see what you think.

3. Gary

Gary Fan

+35
    I will read through it when I get a chance at work today.

That is definitely something that I must take into consideration. Whilst I am happy to pay for upgrades, is there any reason why you are forced to pay for every single upgrade on all apps you have bought prior? That may be something I address with them directly.

I am 100% going to take advantage of the demo. It really is the only way to experience it first-hand without forking out the money first.

Is there anything else you can comment on even from a user perspective alone?

4. AllanD

AllanD Habitué

+164
    There are somethings about the software that will get to you over time, the German part is the big one for me. When you go to find a plugin a lot of them are described in German. The software itself is very nice to use and creating your on style is just adding css, it's that easy.

5. Gary

Gary Fan

+35
    That has been slightly annoying but there are few plugins I would need to add to my community so it may not prove to be the deal breaker for me personally. I very much like what I have used thus far with the demo though.

What other things get to you over time if you don't mind me asking?

I'm looking at buying the software fairly soon if all is well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.