Why so much celebration when a site moves away from vBulletin?

Discussion in 'Forum Software' started by ChrisTERiS, Mar 1, 2017.

1. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+309
    Hello all,

Last 2 years I've read so many posts like "Site AAA with XX millions posts leaves vB", "Site BBB with XXX thousands posts leaves vB", and I'm wonderting why so much celebration if a site leaves vB?

Why only vB and not other forum? Every month many forums are closing, many forums are changing owners, many forums are changing software. Why the interesting news are only about vBulletin and only for leaving? Why keep silence in case that they leave of IPB, or leave of any other software.

Currently I'm using xenForo. It's the 3nd time that I'm trying to use it in the last 3 years. I'm also with IPB for 4 years. I'm with WBB for 6 years. Do you know something? The only that vBulletin (talking for vB4 version) is missing is a responsive templating system. Nothing more.

Last month I worked hard to understand the way that xF works. Yes, is a very good software. But still is missing features that vBulletin has since 2009 when vB4 released. But this is normal. Is human impossible, for even the best developepment team to add in 7 years what vBulletin added in 16 years. Simple logic.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but in everything (from Airlines to Telecommunication companies), I used to respect the pioneers. And nobody can refuse the fact that vBulletin is the pioneer at forum software. So it needs my respection ... your respection too. We're sad when we're loosing something valuable, we don't celebrate. Life's rule.

Worst of all, many times, have seen that those who celebrating the most, are people who earn in money or glory working with vBulletin.

Yes, I do accept the fact that IB (the company) is killing vBulletin (the software). But I'm giving a s**t for the company. I'll continue loving the software, I'll continue respecting those who released for free a Lite version of vB (if I remember well it was 2002), and I'll continue be greatful to all those who helped me to understand how vBulletin code works.

Even if I'll stay with xenForo, or even if I'll change to another forum software, vBulletin (the software) should be always in my heart. And I'll never celebrate reading that another site moved away.

Thank you for reading
    Christos

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  2. GoingRight

GoingRight Participant

+13
    Mobile use accounts for a majority of users. Not having responsive is reason enough to be a XF fan.

3. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+309
    I know it that's why I wrote "The only that vBulletin (talking for vB4 version) is missing is a responsive templating system".

But the question is not why the leave. Everybody can have couple of reasons to leave. What I can't understand is why so much celebration.

4. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+4,996
    There may be some celebration - after all there are still quite a few people who feel that vB (or rather the powers that be behind it since the Jelsoft buyout) screwed them over.

But more than that, there are people who feel vindicated in their earlier decisions to convert away from vBulletin, or who have been considering a move away from vBulletin but have been afraid of the logistics of such a move (especially very large and/or heavily customized forums). News of successful migrations gives them confidence in their own conversions.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  5. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

+1,493
    People like to hate IB, even after 7 years (yes, its that long ago ...).

Its why I dont visit TAZ much anymore (just for updating the PHP 7 stuff mostly) they still hijack threads with their general hatred.
    Why these people cannot just move on and leave those still using or interested in vB alone I have no idea, but they dont, so I dont bother anymore.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. The Sandman

+4,996
    It's not "TAZ" that "hates" IB - it's a subset of TAZ's members. TAZ doesn't like IB, but it doesn't hate IB either.

BTW, you do know what that green badge under your username on the left (with the heartbeat) means, right?

upload_2017-3-1_14-42-9.png

7. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+309
    Very well said Paul !! Very well !! Pitty that my English level does not permit me to explose my real thoughts and feeling in English :(

8. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+309
    I don't think that he meant TAZ but rather members who post here. TAZ (the site) has nothing to do with the content as long as this content follows the rules.

Finally even Paul has some problems with IB (the company) as I read in another thread. But I don't think that this will be a reason to leave vB or start talking against vB.

9. The Sandman

+4,996
    Oh, I know what he meant. :)
    Could it be because they feel grievously wronged by IB after years of support and camaraderie, and that IB won't ever give them closure by apologizing for (or even admitting) their mistakes. I can see where someone might not agree with them, but not understand them at all? That is IB's biggest mistake.

10. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+309
    That's the problem. I understand that is some how annoying to say "I love vBulletin, but I hate IB", but this is true. Actually I didn't gave them a cent. Last time that I paid was on November 2009 when vB4 released (if I'm not be mistaken). I didn't upgraded to vB5 and don't plan to do it ever.

IB killed vBulletin. But I'll continue supporting the software because I like it. I like the features that it has. I like people like Paul, Lynne, MarkFL, Dave and many others who continue supporting the SOFTWARE. I'm respectful and greatful to them, that's why I'm not leaving the boat.

11. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,211
    We can say enough about vBulletin and Internet Brands (i do not like them how they do business). We can also say a lot about Paul MPaul M and BirdOPrey5BirdOPrey5 but at least they are trying to help people there a few others at vBulletin that are the same but there hands are tied to really help.

12. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

+1,493
    However, that "subset" affect the section of TAZ I have an interest in, so to me, its my perception of TAZ.

That I'm still alive ? other than that, no, not really.
    I assume its based on some rule about visits, something I happen to have done more often recently for the 3x/4x updates.

Its just a forum software company (well, vbulletin division is).
    I'm sure people had good reasons to be upset 5, 6 or 7 years ago, but good grief, move on with life, you only get one shot at it.

(Just to be clear, its not nearly as bad as a year or two ago, but still there).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Alfa1

Alfa1 Moderator

+1,807
    I do think the upset is long gone. We used to see daily vbulletin fanboys vs vbulletin haters here. That has faded last year or earlier even.
    The people who had a real problem with vbulletin have completed their journey to other platforms. Myself included. I'm just happy I migrated my last site off vbulletin a few days ago. So whatever happens to vb has no bearing anymore.

I do know that Paul leaving vbulletin would have made me very nervous about the platform if I were still using vbulletin.

14. The Sandman

+4,996
    It means you're an Active Member of TAZ. :p
    If course they did, and perhaps they would have gotten over it if IB would have given them closure. You know as well as I do that forum administrators are a peculiar lot.

15. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Adherent

+111
    Examples?

• Also Wondering! Also Wondering! x 1
    • List
  16. Klaatu

Klaatu Fan

+514
    I'm sure if Digital Point or any other big forum running XF converted to a different software it would be news too. I just see it as news, not a "celebration".

17. Gus

Gus Enthusiast

+66
    This reminds me of a friend of mine who stays with his wife even though she is a terrible cold-hearted person who cheats on him constantly. He's aware of how toxic she is but he stays with her anyway. If you try to tell him that he would be better off without her, he gets all defensive and doesn't want to hang out anymore. I think deep down he knows that he could do better, but is afraid of change.

18. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,044
    This.

19. TheChiro

TheChiro Devotee

+711
    Legacy features left out of vb5 :rofl:

I don't think I've posted much in any of those threads...well, in any threads really in the recent history. I think the threads are only a validation of the perceived sinking titanic. Vbulletin WAS forums. They were the market. When IB stepped in and changed some policies, that put a wedge between them and their customers, splitting the market, causing people to not "upgrade" to vb4, waiting to see what would happen in the market. Many, including myself, moved over to IPB (though, mine was because a 0day exploit that some skiddies were using on my site constantly and I had to move quickly). Then when xf came about and people were switching, IB stepped in again with what appeared to be a frivolous lawsuit on a new company, which then halted production and creating an uncertainty as to the future of the xenforo brand.

Then there were little things with their marketing guy that I can't recall the full details. The forums were ultra censored for any displeasure of the software, bugs, "upgrades", etc.

Not once did they try to right their wrongs...unless you include "hey, buy vb4 before it comes out to get a huge discount!"....... :tdown:

I stopped paying attention to that company immediately after the lawsuit. Haven't looked back, always looking forward with xenforo and it's been huge for my site.

20. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+309
    Do you want the simpliest? There is no way (other than modifying code) to change the order of tabs display. Should be in ver.2 as Chris D told me. You can't Add/Edit widgets. Features that I never used even with vB like infraction etc, from a first eye does not exist. But because I never needed them, I don't care if exist or not.

But as I said this is normal. vBulletin added them at 2009 and later so when it had 8 years in market. The same happens with xF and actually a bit earlier. In 7 years they're adding such features.

I don't blame xF or any other forum software. As I wrote I've bought all. But is almost impossible to expect from a 7 years script to has all features like a 16 years script.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted