Featured Why is IPS Community Forum so restrictive?

Discussion in 'IPS' started by Mouth, Sep 22, 2017.

1. MarkFL

MarkFL La Villa Strangiato

+749
    What is your policy regarding bumping on your own site?

I am assuming we're talking about posting simply to draw attention to a thread, to raise its profile without adding new content. I don't allow this on the site I help admin, but I would send a PM rather than a formal warning with a threat to ban, unless it had been ongoing and previous requests to stop had been ignored.

2. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated ass-hat

+2,966
    Well, if you are comparing ticket/ticket, then they are about the same.... if you are comparing forum/forum support by actual developers, then XenForo is HEADS above IPS. IPS will typically request you submit a ticket for support, which negates getting actual support in the forum that can also be beneficial to others to see how to resolve some common issues.
    They have gotten a little better about it (a few of them) but overall, support is still pointed to ticket submissions.

3. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer

+1,184
    Haven't you just basically described how software support works, universally?
    • Are there software developers handing out support for issues caused by code or customisations that they didn't write?
    • Are there software developers resolving issues that don't need to be resolved?

4. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+5,004
    Yes, of course.

Well, yes and no. It's difficult to run a substantial forum without a lot of add-ons. And it can be tricky to maintain a forum when you're running a lot of add-ons. Whether you blame the software developers for creating software that's particularly dependent on 3rd party modifications, the add-on developers for creating less than perfect code, or the forum admin for installing the add-ons - it's problematic (from the admin's point of view) that there is often no easy way to get to the bottom of the inevitable problems that crop up when running XenForo with add-ons.

Out of curiosity, what percentage of official ticket issues are ultimately attributed to add-ons?

5. Omri Amos

Omri Amos Neophyte

+2
    They should not ignore customers' threads to begin with.

6. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,214
    One of the problems is that you need to search if you have issues with your forum. Take in XF the option to disable all add-ons you need to find that then edit the php file then test. Why not make that easier why not an option in the admincp or if that cant be done commened it out with explanation what its for and how to use it.

7. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer

+1,184
    Difficult to quantify exactly, but most of them. People seem to imply that it's difficult or a slow process to deduce whether an add-on is involved or not. It isn't. It's literally the quickest thing and most common cause hence why it's a troubleshooting step that has to happen first, and that is reasonable, I think.

Is this about XF? We literally never tell people they need to search to find answers to things on their own. Just ask on the forum, doesn't really matter to us if it's been posted before or not. But, even so, that's not the support you pay for -- you pay for ticket support. So if you find searching the forum difficult or would rather get a direct answer from a member of staff, just submit a ticket. Obviously if you have an expired license there's no ticket support but even so you'd still likely get a direct response on the forum anyway.

Generally, the "enableListeners" switch in the config is just designed as a fail safe in case you can't access your forum normally. But if you're having trouble and that is required, you'd usually just be told to add it (and how, and what it does and why). We wouldn't really want to just have it sitting there in the config albeit commented out because that's a great idea until someone comes along tinkering with stuff and suddenly they can't work out why none of their add-ons work.

But, that's beside the point. It is possible to disable all add-ons in the Admin CP. Just go to the add-on list and click the "Disable All Add-Ons" button in the top right corner.

8. Tracy Perry

+2,966
    Pretty sure that XF has had the ability to disable the add-ons via the ACP for a long time. The config.php method is for when you cannot access the ACP due to a badly misbehaving add-on.

I'd have to install XF again on the VPS to verify - something I'm not really interested in doing right now as I've got to many oars in the water with other things going on.

EDIT: Just grabbed a demo on the XF site, and i was correct, you can do this from the ACP. You can either disable them individually or disable all at one time.
    Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 12.39.18 PM.png

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  9. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,046
    I haven't had a problem...

10. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+3,970
    Neither have I but that got me thinking how many times I've actually needed xF support to which the answer is possibly once or twice and this is the reason why I've need so little support...

The software just works. Any problems I've encountered have always disappeared when I've disabled all the installed add-ons.

11. MarkFL

MarkFL La Villa Strangiato

+749
    Yes, ideally all users would get a reply to their questions, but there can be a variety of reasons why a particular question gets no reply. But even with that, most sites I've seen try to discourage bumping, especially repeated bumping. I think there are better ways to handle the frustration of not getting a reply. Also, there are different kind of bumping...when people simply post "Bump" that's what I call a "bad bump" but if they were to post something like "Hey, I still haven't been able to resolve this issue and I would appreciate it if someone could look into it..." then I would look on that as a "good bump." If no reply comes within a reasonable amount of time after that, then perhaps privately contacting a staff member would be a good next step.

I'm not trying to side with anyone here, I'm just saying I think it is reasonable that multiple bumps to a thread would be deleted. It doesn't add relevant content to a site, and is just annoying at the end of the day.

12. Oldsmoboi

Oldsmoboi Fan

+230
    Interesting that this is still going on. Around the time that they released 4.0, I was very active over there and I'm sure I was a bit of a thorn in their side. I got a similar warning from them and talked it out with Lindy so he could see where I was coming from. I felt that they did start to change a bit after that. I've been mostly absent since the start of this year due to life reasons, but I'm going to be getting active over there again over the next few months.

13. Oldsmoboi

Oldsmoboi Fan

+230
    Not saying that yours was, but to be fair, a lot of the customer requests on there are dumb.

14. Tracy Perry

+2,966
    And how many of those are from site owners and not actual site admins (there is a difference but it pisses the site owners off when you bring that fact up).

15. Joel R

Joel R Adherent

+316
    I hate to tell you this Omri but,

1. Your idea isn't popular.
    2. Daily bumping of your topics doesn't make your suggestion any more valuable. It just makes you ... more annoying to IPS? (Personally, I applaud your persistence in the face of great adversity and total indifference ;))
    3. Just because a handful of other IPS clients agreed with you doesn't mean IPS needs to stop everything they're doing and immediately implement your idea.

There are plenty of good ideas in Feedback & Ideas; IPS just happens to be very selective in which ones they implement. I don't think any regular visitor to their forums would have forecasted they would implement features like Reactions, Clubs, and Social Media Promotion in 4.2.0. Those weren't brought up in Feedback at all.

16. Tracy Perry

+2,966
    Just as an aside.. I've NEVER seen this type of help provided by IPS developers in the forum itself
    https://xenforo.com/community/threads/facebook-app.135424/#post-1182307
    So yep, their support is slow and painful. Initial post was Tuesday @ 1:07PM and the ultimate resolution (taken care of by developers via the forum itself and not a ticket submission) was yesterday (Wednesday) @ 5:51PM.

Oh, and nowhere in that thread do you see "submit a ticket for assistance".

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted