Featured Why is IPS Community Forum so restrictive?

Discussion in 'IPS' started by Mouth, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Mouth

Mouth Participant

+36
    Wondering why https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/ is so restrictive for non-financial customers?
    How does a potential customer get a good feel for the system and community, see and understand previously asked questions and issues, when so much of the forums are restricted and un-available?

2. Joel R

Joel R Adherent

+316
    IPS does not emphasize its peer support forum, and many features of the software are not actually usable in their peer support forum such as Gallery, Calendar, Blogs, and Calendar. They prefer their private ticket system. Sometimes I'd like to think the entire purpose of their support forums is to nudge clients into sending in support tickets.

They make good community software. They're not good at building a community of their own.

With that said, it has one of the lowest start-up costs for you to fully use. In addition to their demo, you can spin up an entire community using their Community in the Cloud for $25 for one month to fully test it out (which of course moves you into the Client membergroup, where you can see everything in the forums.)

3. KimmiKat

KimmiKat Enthusiast

+45
    Wasn't IPS free at one time and the author said it would always be free, but decided to go the pay route?

4. gogoblender

gogoblender shiny happy pantless

+442
    Wasn't that invisionfree? That was where we started our first forum before going paid with invision Power Board

I think they're zeta boards now...they're still free

http://s1.zetaboards.com/L_Anon/topic/5816587/6/

:)

gogo

5. Steve

Steve Administrator

+2,623
    Yes the moderation of pre-sales is annoying. It took 3 days to get a reply and then my last message was never approved which ultimately lead me to not even give it consideration any longer. I did send in tickets with similar questions which may be why it was not approved? Who knows..,

Also contacting 3rd party devs for quotes was also a waiting game or no reply. *shrugs*

6. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,046
    This is one of the reasons why when I was looking to convert all my sites from vBulletin, I didn't choose IPS and instead chose Xenforo..

7. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Senior Citizen

+462
    Ditto what Joey said. I gave IPS serious consideration for a long time. They fail to understand that having a decent product is only part of the sale. The other part, a very important part to me, is customer service - with even the slightest resemblance of a smile. What I got for answers seemed more dismissive, rude and an apparent lack of understanding (or was it caring) of certain niche needs.

That's not to say that XF was the complete opposite of that, but they were much easier to communicate with. On the other hand, if I judged only by friendliness and willingness to provide support, I'd be using WoltLab Suite right now. I think all forum software support staff could take lessons from them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  8. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,214
    That is the weakness of IPS communication good software but if communication fails you know you lose business. The problem is that companies look and see only the good what they do but don’t see the bad and act on that and make their company even better.

9. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,046
    Exactly. For me, friendliness was part of it, but not all of it. I also looked at custom coders and found there aren't very many and most are pretty busy. I also looked at cost, what addons were already available (and at what cost) as well as ease of use.

I chose XF over IPB because:
    • Coming from vBulletin I felt my users would have an easier time making the transition as much of it is the same or very similar;
    • The cost of IPB + addons I believed would be higher, upfront and annually;
    • I had a much easier time getting information on the XF forums then IPB;
    • XF seemed to have more addons;
    • XFseemed to have more custom coders available.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. peteuk82

peteuk82 Coder/Designer

+4
    Depending on what 3rd party devs you contacted ? many have left due to different reasons only few original 3rd party devs around now many new faces have turn up.

11. Mouth

Mouth Participant

+36
    Quality is always more important than quantity. I think XF only has a handful of decent dev's that I would trust with my site.

12. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+5,004
    Which isn't enough... they're always ridiculously busy.

13. Mouth

Mouth Participant

+36
    Anyone with insight on why IPS themselves make it so restrictive?

14. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+1,641
    Cannot see bugs.
    For pirated software users is harder to get information about how to fix their software.

• List
  15. nicksource

nicksource Participant

+21
    I have used IPB for over 12 years and they have always been exceptional with their support for me.

16. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated ass-hat

+2,966
    To try to alleviate any unlicensed script users from getting any type of support by reading. Even though the "official" help is only through tickets, occasionally you will get some help from other admins in the topical areas.
    The fun part is for a long time even if you were legitimately licensed, if you didn't have an ACTIVE license you could not participate in many of the areas.

• List
  17. Pete

Pete Fan

+124
    I think the simple reason is that they're not trying to use it as a showcase but as a forum for their uses, and people who want to see what it can do can play with the demo instead.

18. Woffie

Woffie Participant

+39
    Trying to get help at Xenforo is a slow and painful process. I gave them a year, they did not convince me to stay which is why I am back with IPS.

19. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+5,004
    Usually it's easy to get help with XenForo as long as:
    • The issue isn't caused by an add-on or a conflict between add--ons.
    • The XF staff and/or "principle members" agree that there is an issue that needs to be resolved.

20. Omri Amos

Omri Amos Neophyte

+2
    Exactly.
    I am a paying customer of IPS, I paid over a $1,000 on renewals, and even I get pretty rude answers sometimes.
    I had a feature suggestion topic on their forum, they ignored it for a whole year even though other clients said that's a must-have feature (weekly mailing-list with popular topics, so users will come back to the forums).
    Recently, after a whole year without any reply from them I started bumping the topic every few days.
    The results? They ended up deleting my messages, giving me a warning, and I also got a PM threatening me that I will get banned.
    They said that "my license does not give me granted access to the community forums", so I should "behave" or they will ban me.

IPS is a really good community software, but their customer service could be much better.
    I also had similar bad experience (rude replies) with their support tickets system a while back.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted