Why is everyone moving away from vBulletin ?

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by Sespe, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Sespe

Sespe Aspirant

+2
    Hi, how are you all doing ? Hope you are all fine! I wanted to ask why everyone is moving away from vBulletin, I'm currently developing a local open source game (nothing that important) and all the other folks arround here that had done what I'm planing to develop are using vBulletin. I don't know why, since most of the people here are using Xenforo or IPB (the version they are using is Version 4.2.3 and just only one is using the 5.X)

2. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+1,684
    They are still using it because they started with it years ago and VB 3-4 are still usable.
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
    But "Why is everyone moving away from vBulletin ?"
    VB 5 is not popular, VB 3-4 are not developed anymore.
    IPB is getting better day by day and seems XF2 will be ready not too far in the future.

3. -MFL-

-MFL- Aspirant

+7
    My forum was vbulletin 4.x. Half a year ago we migrated to XenForo. I would never ever consider vBulletin as an upgrade path. It is a dead end, a swamp. The real talented developers have left the company years ago.

4. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,083
    Moved ---- past tense.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  5. Alfa1

Alfa1 Moderator

+1,909
    The world has gone mobile. 85% of my users are mobile and on vbulletin my members were struggling.
    To cater to the needs of my community I need to have a solid platform to build on. Something that keeps with the times and provides regular. Not ancient code that relies on deprecated libraries and is the world's leading community software in regards of getting hacked.

6. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+1,780
    For budget users, cost of ownership is likely higher than when it made sense, for both existing customers and new ones.
    Existing customer (pre-vb4, then vb5): the cost to obtain the new version was too high, and especially higher than buying a *new* licence from competing providers (a major blunder). This made it extremely compelling to try other scripts. At worst, you could run an extra site out of it, or resell the new script to fund your vb upgrade.

Addons/vb.org, once considered vB's most compelling asset dwindled as well since modders tried other platforms and often stuck there. So, vB gets fewer addons from fewer modders.

But the real reason people move away from or dont flock to vB anymore may be simpler: its no longer exciting or at the helm of forum technology. The loss of its most capable developpers limited its ability to remain trendsetting, and this pool of expertise has not been restored since. Even when vB introduces a potentially trendsetting feature, its often poorly promoted or documented, when polish itself is not an issue.

7. ozzy47

ozzy47 Tazmanian Veteran

+4,303
    Because IB destroyed the once great vB.

8. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,046
    There are better platforms on which to build a community. As things are at the moment vBulletin has no future.

9. Sespe

Sespe Aspirant

+2
    Yes, gues that's why everyone is using it, I think those communitys where created arround 2005 or 2006.

Thanks for the information!
    Yes I can agree with that, I didn't know that Xenforo was mobile friendly THAT'S HUGE. This are some poor stats of a responsive web page I launched a couple of days ago, most of the people that had visited it, where from mobile devices
    ai.imgur.com_yaTZTJ2.png

Thank you very much, can you make a mini review like this one but from Xenforo and IPB ? I like IPB the most, but I have just noticed Xenforo is mobile friendly with no extensions or addons needed, and I think that's great.

Why would you say IB destroyed vB ? It's something shady, or because it's simply better ? I'm really new to this whole forum software stuff, but what people are saying here is that vB destroyed himself, I'm I right ?

So should I only choose between Xenforo, IPB and WoltLab if I want to pay ? I was trying to buy a cheap vBulletin licence seems everyone is trying to get rid of it, but people are asking $100+ and I have to pay for the transferr feed too that's $45, for that price I can simply get Xenforo or IPB :S

10. Horizon

Horizon Aspirant

+34
    ....I'm a newbie admin using vb5 and while there are some benefits to it (forum, blogs, album, now a calendar (sort of) out of the box, there are too many issues with it. Problems like basic functionality, ie the new posts module I have in my sidebar, doesn't always display new posts. This is a known bug which will be fixed at "some" point. The software is 3-4 years old, the time to fix that bug was then. I can't send content to twitter or facebook or any other social networking site, there is no function to do it, I could go on...

There is the making a a very powerful platform in vb5 and in effect, a full blown content management system, but its too awkward to use. Do you change a option in the "edit page" or the admincp, (which in itself it pretty poor)?

Like you I am lookiing at both IP and XF, but if I were to move to XF, I would wait for XF2. Both platforms have their pros and cons, I'd wish they'd merge...that would make things easier. Although it maybe the case that XF wins the day in the end, it's by no means a dead cert. I found out today that XF2 won't work with my current FIrefox browser and their is no "go to last unread posts" feature in the forum list, a rather basic thing! A test forum I had in January using smf didn't have this basic feature, and what members I had back then, complained like hell about it and left.

So, like you I am stuck as to what to do. And the question of add ons just makes the question more complex. You could purchase a load of expensive add ons, like those with vb3/4 boards did, only to find in 3-4 years time that your forum software is being "upgraded" and the add ons will not work and you'll have to purchase them all over again. A bit of a racket...

My second test forum was using phpbb 3.2, but literally 3.2 had only just came out and there were no mods for it and still not many now, so another mistake. I think in the end, the likes of smf/phpbb will overtake the paid forum software in terms of functionality at some point, some argue they already have, but really there aren't that many choices for a paid solution. I am staying away from Wolf, don't like the like of it and its too new.

Good luck with your decision and let us know what you decided.

11. Sespe

Sespe Aspirant

+2
    It's nice to see that someone else is at my situation, thank you very much for your contribution. Regarding the addons aspect, I have read that XenForo depends off a lot of addons, and that the top and most useful need to be renewed by X amount of time. Do you know how vBulletin and IPB are regarding the addon aspect of them ?

12. Horizon

Horizon Aspirant

+34
    ....as far as vb5 goes, add ons are pretty much non-existent. All the third party developers, the people who create the add ons, have abandoned vbulletin and I doubt they will ever go back.

As for IP Board, there are lots of add ons available, but whatever software you choose will eventually get changed to a new version which is completely incompatible with the previous version. So, as example, any add ons for XF1 will not work with XF2, any add ons for IP4 will not work with IP5 (if it ever comes out) etc.

So, in terms of renewals and costs for add ons for IP Board, it's the same as XF. You may purchase a add on for $30 which gives you a license period of one year, If you want to keep getting updates for that add on after the one year, you would have to renew, typical cost say $10 for another year. But as said, these add ons only work for the same version of software, not a completely different change to a new version of software, ie XF has had 1.0, 1.1, 1,2, 1.3, 1.4 and 1.5. The brand new and incompatible version will be XF2.0, so adds on for 1.4/1.5 won't work with 2.0.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  13. Amaury

Amaury Habitué

+404
    Because they want to.

14. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Tazmanian

+1,812
    vBulletin is exiting the forum market.
    vB5 is a waste of time. It doesnt work.
    Literally no one uses vB5, including IB itself.
    If you don't use your own products, that is a big red flag.

Xenforo, IPB, Woltlab BB are the only options.

15. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,046
    Those are the three I'd recommend and possibly Discourse if you feeling brave!

16. Sespe

Sespe Aspirant

+2
    Than you very much, vB is not even an option for me now. Thanks!

Thank you, I will probably go for Xen Foro, but I'm not sure if buying it right now is an option, let's say that I get one copy now. When 2.0 comes, I will need to start a fresh forum since migration isn't suported from them ? The plugins and themes I would have gotten will be outdated in who knows, weeks, months ?

Does anybody know when xenforo 2.0 is going to launch ? I have already seen 2 or 3 plugins I would like to purchase, and a theme I found by checking Pixel exit (found the link at the sponsors down here) If I get those for 1.x, as a user told me just a few post above, they won't work for my xen 2.0

17. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+1,684
    No.
    Migration not supported only currently.(Developer Preview)
    XF 2.0 will support upgrades from 1.x to 2.x

18. Gus

Gus Enthusiast

+66
    Your project would probably do better on XenForo.

19. Sespe

Sespe Aspirant

+2
    Oh! That's great to hear, guess I could start building something with no plugins and no themes until 2.0 version comes out! Thanks for letting me know, does 12 months of ticket support and upgrades also include the upgrade to 2.x version ?

After hearing all of your opinions and checking here: https://theadminzone.com/threads/the-watching-vbulletins-market-share-nosedive-thread.106727/ that vbulletin is slowly dying, I'm going to pick XenForo!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+1,684
    That's a good idea.
    Yes. (Provided XF 2.x will be released in 12 months)

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted