Why dont forum software websites have a showcase section?

Discussion in 'Forum Software' started by cornnfedd, Jan 30, 2019.

1. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,335
    An interesting analogy and sadly probably not short of the mark.

2. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+978
    Are there really recent issues in that screenshot about MD5 hashing and supporting emoji?

I love that last one too, where if you're already subscribed to a forum, you can't subscribe or unsubscribe to topics within it.

Elite level coding there by the sound of it :D

I'd be keen to see a current VB5 showcase.

3. Anton Chigurh

Anton Chigurh Ultimate Badass

+992
    Go visit any livestock feedlot.

4. cornnfedd

cornnfedd Captain Futurama

+248
    Also what I tend to do if I am looking at forum software is go and look at custom themes on other websites and see if there is anything good. I mean if you are trying to market a forum using just the original theme normally it looks pretty crap, customization is what most people want.

Good discussion though on VB, is it feces or just plain brown crap?

5. Kevin

Kevin Oooh, something shiny!

+1,199
    Do all of those show as "Confirmed"? If not, can you filter out to get just a count of "Confirmed" issues? I'd be curious if that is how many confirmed issues there really are or if no triage is being done by staff and it's become a dumping ground for all "bugs", real or not.

6. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,335
    They do.

confirmed.jpg

• Informative! Informative! x 5
    • List
  7. Kevin

Kevin Oooh, something shiny!

+1,199
    :eek: Holy ....

8. Anton Chigurh

Anton Chigurh Ultimate Badass

+992
    Resolved: 0.

Quite telling.

9. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,335
    What would worry me more as a forum owner is their current licensing model gives very limited and often slow, erratic support unless you are prepared to purchase a support contract.

10. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+978
    Give them a break, it’s obvious that they can’t do anything until the 2 issues they’re awaiting feedback for are resolved.

11. cornnfedd

+248
    Maybe check back in about 8 years, like others of said give them a bit of breathing room to get things done.

Maybe 10?

12. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+978
    Good idea, maybe XenForo will have a calendar out by then for full feature parity with VB5.

:Peek:

13. cornnfedd

+248
    lol anything is possible.
    hahaha keep hiding. :)

14. paul_from_minibb

paul_from_minibb Neophyte

+1
    The main problem with showcases (and we're experiencing it on miniBB, too) is that they have to be checked constantly. May be about 0,5% of forums ever presented in such sections, could handle 10 years challenge. Most of nicely customized and even over-customized forums in my practice don't experience a long time to live: they are either switched off, or moved to another software/platform, or something similar... Things change dramatically fast these days, so if there's a rich showcase, it has to be checked at least once in a month, and if sites are often removed from there, that's just another questions of the website support costs.

15. cornnfedd

+248
    true but its could just be in the forum section, checked once a month and if site is dead topic is closed, doesn't sound like too much work..

but you make a good point, i didnt think of that.

16. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+978
    That's a good point, but I'd have thought sites good enough to be 'featured' would also be the ones more likely to last.

A more evergreen approach to it if you're worried about the showcased site changing, would be to have a dedicated showcase page for site, one that utilises screenshots, gifs, vids and other written info showing off the best of the design and what cool features that particular site has, as a snapshot at a certain date in time. Then you don't have to worry about the site changing it or going down.

17. cornnfedd

+248
    Really though a showcase section can be run by the members, just a simple section of the forum where members can post up a link to their site, and I guess if it doesnt get bumped the topic eventually dies.

18. MagicalAzareal

MagicalAzareal Magical Developer

+152
    I think one problem with a lot of showcase sections is that they can get very spammy, unless you filter it down to big brands and they don't really need your traffic. You likely have them featured somewhere anyway for marketing purposes.
    vB still exists? I thought they would have gone bankrupt by now o_O

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.