Why do so many new forums have too many sections?

Discussion in 'Community Organization' started by cheat_master30, Mar 19, 2016.

1. insaneadmin

insaneadmin Participant

+46
    A lot of people create a community because they feel they know what it should be like, especially hobbyists. When they start thinking about what could be talked about they start to add and add and add instead of starting small and adding as needed. Everyone does it unless they have read a guide or book about doing it right but that urge will always rear its head and pester you to add more than you need.

Some people are just unorganised too, I've known and seen forums where a change to layout is made after a number of years and it doesn't work because it's doing something that is not needed at that time either.

tl;dr: they plan for a future that's too far ahead and might not even happen rather than starting small

2. Shimei

Shimei Adherent

+184
    Right now my forums main page is under development. There is a two category list, adding sub-forums that pop up when hovered over. Should be done soon enough. Altogether though we have near 100 categories and sub-forums.

Enjoy,
    William

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  3. Z E E

Z E E Aspirant

+14
    New forum owners who create a forum with many subsections have no idea on how to run a forum. Feel free to show an example of a new site that opened up with numerous empty/sparse subsections that have taken off.

Its the biggest new forum owners make. They think that their forum is so unique that it needs that....

4. TheGamingRow

TheGamingRow Aspirant

+7
    My website / forum is brand new, it's a gaming and technology website. I've started off with 5 main sections:
    Gaming
    Technology
    Sport
    Off Topic
    Support.

I was considering adding sub-forums for the different platforms (PS4, Xbox etc) but from reading the replies in this thread it seems as if that's not such a good idea?

Could someone explain why? - is it just too much to browse through for the user?

5. cheat_master30

cheat_master30 Moderator

+862
    It's not a good idea to have too many sections because that makes the site look empty.

Think about it, what looks more active? A site with five sections and say, 20 posts in each or a site with twenty sections and 1 post in each?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  6. GTB

GTB Tazmanian

+1,043
    Yeah, I just trimmed my forums down further today and got rid of two that will hardly be used

7. Nando de mo

Nando de mo Adherent

+19
    That's obvious though. Certain factors will play in the user experience. The five sections can have more posts, but that doesn't mean the ones that are more active have something worth reading.

8. BeyBrad

BeyBrad Adherent

+122
    If that's the case, the admin would have bigger issues to deal with than the number of categories.

9. KimmiKat

KimmiKat Enthusiast

+38
    There are some established mboards that have too many sub forums on them. For example there's a Satellite mboard (Using Xenforo) that bazillion sub forums and it looks dis-organised.

I made the mistake when I had my board up, then consolidated down to just the most popular areas and one catch-all forum.

10. LordOfSpoon

LordOfSpoon I Am Spoon!

+55
    I guess people just get carried away with their shiny new board and create too many forums out of excitement. Then they wont have any engagement and wonder what is going on.

11. Drastic

Drastic Habitué

+588
    Make sure you should have e-sports, not regular sports.

One makes sense, the other does not.

12. BeyBrad

BeyBrad Adherent

+122
    esports would already belong in gaming though. Plus there's a huge overlap between fans of game and tech and sports ...

13. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Neophyte

+2
    We we moved to XF about a year ago, we went from a single forum to 4 sections. Additional sections have been added, in part, when users request them because they say it's too difficult to find content on a topic that isn't often discussed in an existing section.

We also have sections available to only certain subsets of our population, and for the most part, I keep those hidden from the view of everyone else so that those who don't need a particular section don't see it.

-S-

14. Drastic

Drastic Habitué

+588
    Very true. I'm one of those people.

If I want game news, I go to IGN or something like that. Sports news, then I login to a fantasy site.

I don't mix or match. The sports sites update by the minute, so no gaming forum will have current info/stats/fantasy sports info like a legit sports site will have.

Might have a good chat going on, that's kinda cool.

Gaming and sports seem like two very niched topics that are hard to succeed in. One of the first mistakes is adding too many topics and not having laser focus on the gaming niche itself.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  15. bigpapapascarab1

bigpapapascarab1 Aspirant

+7
    sorry to bump again but here is my answer. it is excitement. from experience when i would start i was very excited to get started and wanted to add as many categories as possible to try to appeal to all demographics. cut the newbies some slack :) :D :D

16. Oldsmoboi

Oldsmoboi Fan

+225
    I have a ton of sections, but I've also been in operation for 16 years. That said, I regularly trim, consolidate, and reorganize my forums.... once in awhile (about annually) I add a section for archive stuff.

If I were starting a new forum today, I would keep the section number very limited and break up sections when they got too large and disorganized.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Sal Collaziano

Sal Collaziano Womanizer

+84
    It's far better to have 2 forums with 10 posts each than 10 forums with 2 posts each. When somebody visits your site for the first time, and they land on your forum homepage, they're not going to bother going any further if it appears as if only the site owner has posted 2 messages in each forum. You want people to be curious about the information and conversations waiting for them inside. 2 posts in each of 10 forums looks like this in their imagination:

Forum 1:
    - Welcome to the board!
    - What this section is for...

Forum 2:
    - Welcome to the board!
    - What this section is for...

Nobody in 2017 is going to click through to see that...

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted