Why do so many new forums have too many sections?

Oldsmoboi

Fan
Some forums just by the nature of their theme need more categories and forum areas. For example if you have a motor vehicle forum it would not go down well if you excluded some of the models of that range, thus more areas are needed. Then on top of these you need your support forums for tech questions, modifications, possibly ride outs and road trips.

These types of forums are a hard one to start as they do require huge amounts of work to get them going even in their very basic forms.

Until you get discussion going, most of that can be dumped into about 3 forums and you don't need a forum for each model. The only time to break out by model is if your forums start to get messy finding things.

Malcolm

Aspirant
Just a lack of experience... I've learned from my experience, it's a balancing act it seems like lol. I add some then I remove some just because they aren't being used.

NYCGuy76

Fanatic
Nothing wrong with too many forums if you plan on keeping them busy. Some themes need many forums like ones that target a country as whole.

NYCGuy76

Fanatic
Plan on keeping them busy isn't the same as having them actually be busy though. A lot of new forums start with big plans, but end up with an empty wasteland.
That’s a mistake on their part. If you can keep posting new interesting content daily and I mean really keep at it it can work. It worked for me.

Jeremy8

Enthusiast
There's a new thread here on TAZ where other people are making suggestions to add too many boards. This thread is 5 years old, but it's still not an understood topic even here on TAZ.