Why do people use discourse?

Discussion in 'Discourse' started by CarpCharacin, Oct 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. rafalp

rafalp Desu Ex

+353
    Speak of the devil.

2. Danielx64

Danielx64 Developer

+1,395
    What do you mean? There is always the edge case where switching is better.

3. rafalp

rafalp Desu Ex

+353
    Read more of the discussion for context ;)

4. Dan18

Dan18 Fan

+261
    He mean switch to Misago is the best :D.

5. Timelord_

Timelord_ Enthusiast

+37

The price is right for the software! $0.00

6. NotRupert

NotRupert Neophyte

+2
    This. VB5 actually made a couple of dozen members leave a forum I frequent, because it sucks so bad I don't even know any fitting expletives. Our community is active *despite* VB5, which speaks volumes about the engagement of members. There are daily complaints about the software, but pragmatic reasons have pushed the planned migration to another platform further into the future for years.

7. overcast

overcast Enthusiast

+22
    I personally don't like the discourse the reason being lot of content at the bottom gets stuck with the parallax loading. And it's one of the worst features of the discourse. Adding important pages at the bottom and then using parallax loading is not worth it. I prefer flarum instead, which is lot easier to use.

8. Mark Wilkin

Mark Wilkin Neophyte

+7
    I use it because I like it. It's clean and simple to use as a member and as an admin it has a host of features I find useful, like their automated spam blocking and their recently redesigned moderation queue. Their metrics dashboard is also the best one I've seen for forum admin (of Vbulletin, Xenforo and Lithium). Also I found setup to be remarkably easy on a digitalocean, which was reasonably cheap hosting wise as well.

It's designed for mobiles so it's very easy to use, even for admin tasks, on them compared to the other forum I manage on Xenforo. And considering 45% of my forum traffic is on mobile this is important. Also since Google put in a bunch of work on their javascript engine Android performance is up to where iPhone performance is (state of play as of June 2018).

I also like the fact that it's still being actively developed with regular updates, yes Jeff very much has his own oppinions about what a forum should do but generally him and the team have steered things in a direction I approve of. Just for example the recent release has a thing where it tells mods and trusted users if someone hasn't posted in a while and comes back to post so you can make sure to try and keep them engaged. It's a small thing, but there's a lot of useful tweaks like that they've added over the years.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  9. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,131
    It's gaining popularity as nowadays classic php-tuned hosting is no longer an ideal server environment, wether it is at the budget level or highend. New age scripts got rid of a lot of issues the php scripts us dinosaurs still have to contend with. Discourse might feel ugly as hell but the technicals are sound, and user-facing interface easy to modify.

No numbers here, but I suspect a large part of discourse's audience actually went to nodebb as an alternative much easier to setup and manage. Consider the average age of forumgoers - have they surfed on desktops during php scripts' golden age, or was a simple mobile experience the dominant one they experienced?

10. MagicalAzareal

MagicalAzareal Magical Developer

+74
    People like it because it's modern.

Live topic list, live topics, live notifications, etc. It's had those for about six years while the "major software" sat around doing nothing but twiddling their thumbs and pushing out relatively trivial features.
    These days, they're largely copying Discourse, but have nowhere near as much useful functionality and everything is ten times as clunky (e.g. XF2's "post from homepage").

I think Discourse is overrated though, there are much better options, maybe NodeBB.
    It supports both infinite scrolling or pagination, if you find the other option uncomfortable.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  11. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Habitué

+164
    What's wrong with the functionality implemented in XF2?

12. MagicalAzareal

MagicalAzareal Magical Developer

+74
    I haven't tried it in a while (a couple of years or so), but I personally found it very clunky.

You go to the forum list, you hit the button to make a post, and then, you get a little modal with all the forum descriptions, counts, etc. when they could have just had a simple drop-down with all the forums next to the topic title field like in the new age software.

It's not something they can't fix, but for a feature which exists for the sole purpose of making things quicker and easier, it feels strange to have so much boilerplate in between you and you creating the topic you want.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.