Why do most people behave like jerks and are rude online?

Discussion in 'Managing an Online Community' started by Anonymous, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Ummagumma

Ummagumma Adherent

+186
    Agreed, it's as if it's crossing a moral boundary to do so when it should preserve their selves and feelings et al.
    Nowt strange as folk.

2. cheat_master30

cheat_master30 Moderator

+934
    I'd say it's definitely more distance than anything else. If you know they're aren't any real consequences for your actions online, there's a great incentive to act like as much of a jerk as possible. Anonymity doesn't actually come into it too much, note how many people are assholes using their real name and profile picture on sites like Facebook. They know they can be easily identified, they just don't care. They know that in at least 99% of cases, no one will care enough to do anything about their behaviour.

Everyone says deterrence doesn't stop crime or bad behaviour... one look at the internet and comment sections would make them change their mind immediately.

3. Gladius

Gladius Enthusiast

+22
    The question "Why do most people behave like jerks and are rude online?" already contains the answer. It's because most people really are jerks or rude when faced with no consequences for such behaviour.

It's RL where people have to wear masks and fake being nice and respectful when in reality, they are not. They simply act in such a manner because IRL, the consequences to anti-social behaviour range from non-cooperation, scorn and avoidance of others to fines and potentially jail time when taken to the extreme.

So when you see people behaving like jerks or being rude online, you're actually seeing their true face, it's not that respectful and nice people have suddenly changed. It's just the fact that they never were that to begin with.

"Proper" behaviour goes down the drain the minute any mass of people realizes that there's no control and oversight present.

4. PoetJC

PoetJC ❤ Jacq Owns The Beanstalk ❤

+4,653
    Very simple. You ever heard the colloquialism of "finding courage in bottle"? People tend to be bolder after a few drinks. Their inhibitions and their guards are down. Liquid courage...

Some people are much more bold behind the relative anonymity of their keyboards and internet connections. High-speed courage as it were. Some would say anyway...

I find it to be a bit of that mingled with a tinge of cowardice actually. If you can't say to someone's face what you'd say behind their back and/or via keyboard strokes and cute lil emoticons, then it probably shouldn't be said at all. A bit of a personal mantra that I live by :censored:

J.

5. Ummagumma

Ummagumma Adherent

+186
    I like that phrase... agreed.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted