Why did you choose phpbb3 over SMF?

Discussion in 'phpBB' started by onthehanger, May 2, 2009.

1. retrostar

retrostar Neophyte

+0
    i prefer smf because it has alot of features.

2. Xee

Xee Aspirant

+0
    That's pretty much why I'm sticking with it. Support is never far away. I understand how some people think it looks outdated, especially if you go with subsilver2, but a custom style and some other customization can go a long way to updating the look.

As others have said though, if you got a lot of mods it would really benefit you to learn some php to make sure everything works together smoothly.

3. Rahfal

Rahfal Neophyte

+0
    I like phpBB over SMF because I how it looks a lot more modern, but user-wise and staff-wise. In the ACP for SMF, it's a lot of old old-fashion drop down menus and simple table layouts for permissions and other things. phpBB is more modern in that sense.

4. complexity

complexity Aspirant

+0
    Because the ability to modify it is way more impressive.

5. JanusX

JanusX Neophyte

+0
    PHPBB is a lot nicer. I tried SMF and it's horrible.

6. Ryu2532

Ryu2532 Aspirant

+0
    Because I like phpbb better than SMF.

7. 78Xe

78Xe Neophyte

+0
    I prefer SMF over phpbb actually it's a lot nicer. I really like the way it's layed out.

8. sunsettommy

sunsettommy Enthusiast

+10
    It is always interesting to see such contrary opinions over a few software choices.

I for one by personal experience learned to dislike some of the phpBB3 set up because it is way too scaled and that adding a mod has be a chore.Making a logo is torture and so on.

But it does have on thing that I think is the best around and that is the WIDE size of the post box to make a post in.But alas there are too few reasons for me to like it.

I hope they do better with the upcoming 4.0 version.