Why are video games not huge in retirement homes?

Discussion in 'Internet and Technology' started by fixer, Jan 6, 2019.

1. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,070
    i would think that they would be huge and a company that would create controlers that people can use with arthritis would be very popular.

maybe it will take our generation getting to retirement age for it to happen?

2. Lala

Lala Participant

+40
    I'm not at retirement age yet, but I find video games... too stressful I guess? Requiring too much focus, too fast a reaction, to be enjoyable. My eyes get tired, I tend to hold my breath, my neck muscles spasm, I sweat, get headaches, etc. It's not arthritis that prevents me from playing them, it's that they are exhausting me, mostly with reaction speed they require. It's just too many different things happening at once.

We're a mental health site, all members are living independently, about a quarter are seniors. We have some games on site, that members suggested - all of it is puzzles, with no timers, and nothing flashing on screen unexpectedly. Jigsaw puzzles, chess, scrabble, physics games, memory games, hidden object games, online coloring pages, etc - the type of games that are popular at retirement homes.

• Informative! Informative! x 2
    • List
  3. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,334
    I think the expression is use it or lose it. My point being if you spend too much time sitting around playing video games you'll probably end up needing a retirement home long before you retire.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  4. cornnfedd

cornnfedd Captain Futurama

+248
    More so to do with the age of people in a retirement home, gamers are really from 45 years or younger.... So give it another 30 years and it will happen (maybe) :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,050
    It's an exhausting, hard JOB instead of entertainment.

6. haqzore

haqzore Devotee

+1,193
    Not always / not every game.

fixer - I'm with cornnfedd. I just don't think the video game generation is there yet.

I've done volunteering in these places with my kids, and we play card/board games with them.

7. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,070
    sounds like promising niche to get into for our generation?

8. haqzore

haqzore Devotee

+1,193
    Perhaps get in early as investors on the Senior Citizen Competitive Gaming circuit :cool:

• Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
    • List
  9. Maddox

Maddox Habitué

+970
    I live in a retirement complex with people aged from 59 to 100 and there are only a handful that can use a computer for checking and sending emails. Other than that there is absolutely no interest whatsoever in computers or computer games.

There are many factors that can be attributed to the lack of interest:

No skills and an unwillingness to learn (atypical)
    Mobility issues (can also be attributed to hands as in dexterity)
    Ailment issues (can be attributed to hands and mobility)
    Lack of money to buy a computer/games machine and games
    Lack of space in which to house a computer/games machines

And then there is the generational issues where most of the people here grew up in an age without computers and games machines.

When you get older your interests change so that needs to be considered. I grew up with Atari/Amiga/Spectrum/Megadrive and so on and I loved playing games; I recently (well almost a year ago lol) bought the latest Doom revamp as this was my all-time favourite game - it's still sealed as I can't be bothered to install it. This is something you will discover as you grow older.

Whilst the idea is good, the implementation of it would be less than inspiring for many people. Perhaps the next generation will think differently, but until that generation enters the retirement era the idea may change.

;)

10. Panupat

Panupat Habitué

+95
    I think it's just the current retired generation weren't the ones growing up with games. Generation that did grow up with games are about to reach that age group pretty soon. Gawd I can't believe I'm this old myself. And I'm still watching Aggretsuko.

11. southernlady

southernlady Coder/Designer

+189
    My husband was a gamer when I met him, 23 years ago. No longer a gamer and really doesn't want to go back to it. So I am suspecting it may take a bit longer...down to our kids turning retirement age. Which is quite a number of decades away.

12. Ingenious

Ingenious Fan

+233
    I think retirement home might mean different things in different countries.

It can also span quite a wide age range. There's no reason newly or early retired people won't like to game, but as anyone who has ageing parents will know, "old age" is something quite different and altogether more scary. My parents are incapable of opening a jam jar or getting to the toilet "in time", so gaming is totally out of the question. It will come to us all.

In 2060 when we're all in a retirement home (those of us who make it!), young people will be on TAZ asking, "Why isn't thought controlled virtual holographic reality not huge in retirement homes?" while we're all struggling to remember who the f**k we are :ROFLMAO:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  13. overcast

overcast Enthusiast

+46
    To think of it. Video games consume a lot of your cognitive energy. And they also make you more tired too. As you age, you can't have much energy to be quick on the reflexes required for games. So that is another reason.

14. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,070
    they play bingo and cards

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.