whois guard privacy?

Discussion in 'Site Security & Legal Issues' started by King G, Jan 8, 2017.

1. King G

King G Enthusiast

+13
    I know i said i'd research this myself but i can't find any info.

So suppose I get bored with my site and I stop paying for my host and I stop paying for my domain. If I bought the whoisguard. If I stop paying for the domain will my personal info be available or will i just be cutoff from the service (both domain and whois guard)?

thanks really paranoid can't find any info on google about this.

2. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,304
    Whoisguard will end only when you stop paying or domain is canceled, no one can see information except when laywers get involved.

3. King G

King G Enthusiast

+13
    No what if i get bored with my site and i don't want my domain anymore and I stop paying for my domain all together. will my info be public?

what do i do to protect my private info if i decide i don't want my domain and website?

4. DaveL

DaveL Habitué

+163
    Sorry, but are you sure running a forum is for you? Setting it up should be the easiest and most enjoyable part.

5. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,304
    Same as canceling as long as Whoisgaurd ends at the same time it will not matter.

6. King G

King G Enthusiast

+13
    yeah but i apologize i was not clear what i mean is if i delete my namecheap account and cutoff my domain name and whois guard will my personal info be delted or can creepers still find it?

Thanks

7. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+535
    Your domain name will run for the period you pay for it - if it's 12 months and you decide to quit after 8 months, your domain will still be registered to you for another 4 months; I also believe there is a grace period after your domain name expires, but that's something you would need to check with whoever is going to be your registrar. If your details are closed and guarded (that is not made public) then they will stay that way - once your domain name goes back into the wild for registration all details regarding you as associated with the domain name will be deleted and replaced with the new domain name owner.

8. King G

King G Enthusiast

+13
    phew so your saying if i delete my namecheap account and quit, my personal info will be gone? right?

Also is it likely that creepers can find my personal info through my host?

Thanks

9. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+535
    If your namecheap account is for a set period then it will run exactly the same as your domain name - you would have to ask namecheap if they delete your data when your term expires or if it is held on record for any future business you may conduct with them.

You appear to be obsessed with crawlers (not creepers) and anonymity - makes one wonder if you are operating from a police state and doing something illegal lol - and crawlers only harvest what they can see within the code on your site; your information with a host or domain name registrar cannot be crawled - it can be hacked, but that's a different story altogether and will depend if who you go with is worth hacking and whether they have good security or not.

There are absolutely no guarantees for anything regarding what the Net has to offer in terms of you and your data being 100% secure and invisible. If you are so really paranoid about your details being seen by anyone other than you, then you really ought to think and consider if the Internet is the place for you.

10. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,304
    Lawyers, police, FBI etc can find the information if needed, so if something happens on our website people can still find out.

11. King G

King G Enthusiast

+13
    No I don't mean crawlers im just scared of stalkers and creepy people finding my personal info. I know nothing is 100 percent but if i end my service with namecheap we_are_borgwe_are_borg is it likely my info will be accessable to the public (besides cops and law enforcement)

Thanks

12. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,304
    Nothing is 100% fool proof.

13. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+535
    Why don't you ask namecheap - they're the only ones who can give you an answer, we can't. If you need assurance then go to the businesses you intend to use and ask them. Repeatedly asking the same questions over and over on TAZ will only get you the same answers over and over and then people will just give up.

14. King G

King G Enthusiast

+13
    tru i'll ask em :)

just wanted to know if anyone had past stories.

15. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+535
    As a website developer for the past 17 years I have had the responsibility for registering over 1000 domain names for clients and for myself. In that time I've had dealings with two governing bodies - Nominet and Icaan - for domain names. There are some variances in how both operate and what names they are responsible for, however, both require the details of the registrant and these must be kept up-to-date; so, for example, if you move home you are responsible for informing the responsible registrant body of your change of address, you can usually do this through your chosen domain name registrar, but you need to check. As I pointed out in a previous post, as long as you are the named registrant of a domain name then your details remain assigned to it; once your domain name expires and it goes back into the wild and someone else registers it, then their details will be assigned to it. You remain the assigned registrant for as long a period as you sign up for, generally 12 months, but in some cases 2 years or more. Stopping using the domain name doesn't mean you are released from your contracted period.

As for your host, you need to enquire with them as to what their business practices are with regards to holding a clients details and for how long. Google is your best friend when it comes to finding out information - you can ask on TAZ but realise that if you have a mountain of questions put them into one topic instead of creating many topics, that way you will get answers concisely in one place and with the advice given you can then go Googling to find out any legalities you need to know. If you are using businesses for their services and you have questions about their practices, they are the best people to give you the answers you need.

I understand your concerns, to a degree, with regards to keeping your info hidden, but realise that the Internet is not the safe place that it was when it first fired up, there are thousands of 'creepy' (as you deem them) people out there, but they're not interested in you as an individual (unless you're mega famous or mega rich). If they're going to hack details then they will hit a high profile organisation and if your details are with those organisations then your details could be hacked along with thousands of others. That's a known risk for anyone using the Internet today and it's unlikely that landscape will change anytime soon.

;)

16. cheat_master30

cheat_master30 Moderator

+934
    It all depends on the terms specified when you registered the domain.

Usually, WHOIS Guard or whatever is tied to the domain itself. So if you stop paying, you eventually lose both the domain and WHOIS Guard, leaving you minus one domain but without your personal details visible (since you don't own it any more).

If WHOIS Guard was a seperate add on and expired at a certain time, then yes, I assume your details would be visible when it runs out. Though again, depends on the site. Some may just keep it the same until the domain is renewed, so it'd still show the details from WHOIS Guard.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted