Who else thinks Google Groups is a terrible forum solution?

Discussion in 'Free Hosted Forums' started by s.molinari, May 10, 2014.

1. s.molinari

s.molinari Leader of Skooppa

+1,958
    This is a bit off topic, but somehow "par for some of the Google course". I just replied to my first Blogger post (which is owned by Google) with my Google account and it

1. asked me to fill out a Captcha. I thought, "Wait a sec, I just logged into my Google account. Why should I fill out a Captcha?"

So I shrugged my shoulders, did like a good user should, filled out the Captcha and...

2. then it posted my post as "anonymous" anyway. :noid:

I guess with Google, it is as the old adage goes, you win some and you lose some.:)

Thank God their search works really well (along with a good number of other services).

Scott

2. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,186
    Its been around 34 years, not 13 or 14. :)

3. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,186
    Asking why companies are using Google groups as their forum is like saying why are people using buses as motorcycles. They are only remotely similar because they are both modes of transportation. Same with this..... companies are not using it as their forum ... they are using Usenet for their Usenet group, and Google happens to get and display a Usenet feed. If you don't like Google's interface, download a better one --- some are really good!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Usenet_newsreaders

4. s.molinari

+1,958
    But the ones I know of don't advertise their Google Groups as "usenet groups". They advertise it as their "customer community". Seeing usenet is so old, wouldn't you say a better, more modern service for a customer community should be something other than/ better than a usenet group?

Scott

5. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,186
    The reason they don't advertise them as Usenet groups is simply nomenclature. I'd guess it's because there are a lot of people on the Internet who are technically ignorant about the Internet. Usenet has some advantages over forums, and some disadvantages. It's a perfect fit for open source projects because it's decentralized, can be obtained through many Usenet servers around the world, it's archived by many servers which dole out the feeds and therefore protected against deletion, etc.

In some ways Usenet, with it's distributed nature, is more modern than some forum technology. How many forums do you know of which have tens of thousands of topic sections? The number of posts archived? Well, put it this way... it's not measured in terabytes, or even petabytes, but tens of petabytes. I'd say Usenet is plenty robust for modern times! The current daily volume is 15 terabytes.

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  6. Pferdeschnell

Pferdeschnell Neophyte

+0
    Sometimes i think so,This forum is not perform a regular forum should have a function to provide more convenient platform for users to communicate.

7. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Tazmanian

+1,828
    The only use for google groups is to migrate a stubborn yahoo group that won't move to a real community package.

8. Hostname.club

Hostname.club Aspirant

+4
    Google Groups work as a very simple way to communicate 10 years ago. :( Totally agree it is terrible!

9. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman Tazmanian Master

+1,942
    I'm surprised Google hasn't dropped that feature and encouraged the use of PLUS instead?!

10. s.molinari

+1,958
    Shhhhhh! Don't give them any stupid ideas!

Scott

11. Azareal

Azareal The AtomBB Overlord

+474
    They use a modified version of it for their customer support forums, so its probably only since they use it, otherwise they probably would.

12. cheat_master30

cheat_master30 Moderator

+1,044
    Yeah, Google Groups is an awful forum solution. It's like discussion lists, another terrible idea that a lot of open source communities tend to use.

13. Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman Aspirant

+7
    I wouldn't have thought Google Groups was the right thing to use for starting a forum. It's not proper forum software is it.

14. s.molinari

+1,958
    It is more like a single category forum, with newsgroup functionality. Or you could also say, it is a newsgroup, that sort of works like a forum. It does newsgroups semi-decently and is terrible as a forum, like, you can't even edit your messages. Yuck!:sick:

Scott

15. Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman Aspirant

+7
    No I don't like it. Nabble is another bland and horrible forum software. Nabble is another free forum service but not as many features as Proboards and the like.Their forums don't look like forums at all.

16. cheat_master30

cheat_master30 Moderator

+1,044
    There are a surprisingly high amount of those horrible free forum solutions with their own 'script' and minimal features. They seem to be targeting people who don't take the time to search the internet and realise how backwards their forums actually are. The kind who sees the first site for 'free forum' and then signs up unquestionably.

17. Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman Aspirant

+7
    Yes but even f you do choose a free forum service there are ones that are way better than Nabble and Google Groups. Nabble has very minimum features and yo cannot even moderate new members or ban them!
    Also the forum theme is terrible, really bland and ugly, if you take a look at some of the forums on there. Same with Google Groups.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.