Who do you think is the best server tech?

Jim McClain

Senior Citizen
I am considering hiring someone to optimize my dedicated (KnownHost managed) server. It's running CENTOS 7.6 standard v74.0.12 with 8 Intel Core i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz processors, 16GB RAM. Operating on Apache 2.4.37, PHP 7.0.33 and MySQL 5.6.41. There are currently 7 cPanel accounts set up for 8 websites. One is a single page, hard-coded HTML site, 7 use WordPress and one of those also uses XenForo.

I know too little about server technology and want more than generic server tweaking. I'd like to make contact with trusted techs you recommend and see if I can get estimates. Thank you for any recommendations you would like to offer.

Jim
PS: I tried to create this topic in the server forum, but every time I clicked the Create Thread button, nothing happened.

cheat_master30

Fanatic
Well, since you said you wanted it posted in the servers forum, I've just moved it there. Hopefully you get some better answers than you would in the previous location.

maksim

Serial Entrepreneur
For server tweaking a good place to start is your hosting company. I had them go through and do a security audit and beef up vulnerabilities. To that, looked eat where our traffic was coming from and blocked a lot of troublesome traffic which had nothing to do with our forum, namely Ukraine and china.

Steve

Fanatic
I am considering hiring someone to optimize my dedicated (KnownHost managed) server. It's running CENTOS 7.6 standard v74.0.12 with 8 Intel Core i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz processors, 16GB RAM. Operating on Apache 2.4.37, PHP 7.0.33 and MySQL 5.6.41. There are currently 7 cPanel accounts set up for 8 websites. One is a single page, hard-coded HTML site, 7 use WordPress and one of those also uses XenForo.

I know too little about server technology and want more than generic server tweaking. I'd like to make contact with trusted techs you recommend and see if I can get estimates. Thank you for any recommendations you would like to offer.

Jim
PS: I tried to create this topic in the server forum, but every time I clicked the Create Thread button, nothing happened.
I would suggest contacting MattW , definitely knows his way around a server. ;)

Alpha1

Administrator
Choose a hosting company that specializes in your forum software and is used to deal with big boards. MattW is highly recommended.

bilbo baggins

Aspirant
Isn't the 7700 processor more for desktop/consumer uses? A big advantage in my opinion would be to use something with ECC memory as they're supposed to be more reliable than machine without, I would look for something that uses Xeon or Epyc processors that use ECC memory.