White Hat Cloaking

Discussion in 'Forum SEO' started by The Sandman, Aug 3, 2016.

1. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+5,510
    White Hat Cloaking: It Exists. It's Permitted. It's Useful.
    Read the complete blog post Here.

2. smirkley

smirkley ID'mazing

+137
    The article, although informational, largely directs to tactics of safely targeting advertisements as landing pages from search engine sourced traffic.

I can see why google and the likes provides opportunities to webmasters like this. It serves both the webmaster and the advertising network.

I dont see this benefitting traffic conversion for a forum though, as it is hard enough getting eyeballs that stick let alone non-bouncing sign-ups.

3. The Sandman

+5,510
    True, and besides that it's a bit dated. I posted this because there's been a few posts lately suggesting that anything done differently for bots and guests is automatically considered bad by Google.

4. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,256
    It is automatically considered bad by Google if you don't do it correctly.

5. The Sandman

+5,510
    Right... so I suppose that means that if someone isn't 100% sure they're doing it correctly they shouldn't be doing it at all. But apparently white hat cloaking does exist....

6. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,256
    Obviously it does exist because Google documents when it's appropriate, and how to do it so their engine "knows" the information is behind a login, paywall, limited number of month reads, etc. As with anything, if someone is not 100% sure, then it's a matter of possible risk verses reward.

7. esquire

esquire Habitué

+629
    Unless it's important and harmless, cloaking is not a great idea and a needless way of possibly catching the bot in your unnecessary tripwire. Being part of the first click free program is a whole different thing than cloaking. You can read about that here: https://support.google.com/news/publisher/answer/40543?hl=en

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.