Domain Name(s) Which registrar do you use for your domains?

Discussion in 'Domains and SSL Certificates' started by tokyoice, Apr 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. tokyoice

tokyoice Adherent

+35
    I use NameCheap. Used these guys for years - also use them for different services they offer too (SSL's), haven't used them for hosting though!

2. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,174
    always used godaddy

3. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Administrator

+2,279
    Namesilo. Moved everything from Namecheap to them a few years ago and never looked back.

4. eva2000

eva2000 Habitué

+810
  5. haqzore

haqzore Devotee

+1,255
    Exactly the same here.

I still use Namecheap for hosting.
    But saved a decent amount of $ with NameSilo for domain registration.

6. Greg Spinks

Greg Spinks Aspirant

+2
    I've started to use Google Domains. They seem pretty legit!

7. KimmiKat

KimmiKat Adherent

+124
    Hover. The no BS registrar where GoDaddy throws up-sells kilometres of extra crap.

8. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Senior Citizen

+644
    I registered my first domain at 1&1 in 1995 or 96. I was with them for a few years, then transferred to GoDaddy. Somewhere around 2008 or 9, I began transferring all my domains, as they neared renewal, to NameSilo. Been with them ever since and am very happy with them. I would never get hosting with the same company I get my domain registrations with. NameCheap has a very good reputation too, but all I get from them is my SSL certificates.

9. tokyoice

tokyoice Adherent

+35
    What was the reason for the move?

10. two50v

two50v Neophyte

+0
    NameCheap here or Porkbun. Both are quite nice, though I prefer Porkbun's UX.

11. cornnfedd

cornnfedd Captain Futurama

+250
  12. haqzore

haqzore Devotee

+1,255
    You didn't ask me, but I made the same move.

Primarily, price. NameSilo offered a little more (ie: WHOIS privacy) for a little less ($). It adds up over time.

13. haqzore

haqzore Devotee

+1,255
    I was looking forward to trying Google domains, but their prices are prohibitive. Much more expensive than many reliable alternatives.

Any insight into what you like about them, specifically when comparing to other companies you've used?

14. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Administrator

+2,279
    When I found out they had slightly better prices, I tested them out with one of my domains to see if I liked their interface and service. After using it for a month or so, I liked it much more than any other registrar I'd used. Simple and easy to use, and not a lot of BS to deal with. As each of my domains came up for renewal I moved them over to Namesilo and they handled the transfers very quickly (minutes in most cases).

15. overcast

overcast Adherent

+72
    I have few domains at Godaddy and few at the Namecheap. I used those 99c godaddy domain offer and kept my domains in it for some time now.

16. tokyoice

tokyoice Adherent

+35
    First time I have heard of Porkbun - I'm going to check them out! How long have they been around for? Are there renewals cheaper than NameCheap?

17. tokyoice

tokyoice Adherent

+35
    Did some research into Porkbun the past 24 hours and decided to move two of my most important domains to them. They should be transferred successfully within the next 7 days. Woo!

Thank you for the recommendation two50v!

18. cornnfedd

cornnfedd Captain Futurama

+250
    what made you decide to move? whats so great about porkbuns?

(I literally had a pork roll for lunch today btw)

19. dojo

dojo Passionate admin

+131
    After a clash with godaddy 12 years ago, I moved to namecheap and never looked back.

20. Oldcrow

Oldcrow Enthusiast

+35
    I have all mine and always have used the same host and register all my domains with them. https://ifastnet.com/ been over 20 years now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.