Which programming language is the easiest to learn?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by KarenL80, Mar 19, 2017 at 2:32 PM.

1. KarenL80

KarenL80 Aspirant

+1
    Programmers and developers would you please help me? I'd like to know which programming language is the hardest to learn and which is the easiest one?
    How many programing languages do you know? And which ones are the most important to you?

2. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+3,349
    Frivolous answer; the hardest and easiest programming languages to learn are one and the same, binary. How hard can it be to learn a language with just two commands?

Personally I found 8 bit assembly language the easiest to learn, particularly 6502 and C++ almost impossible. I know less than 10 programming languages fairly well and at least twice that number not very well at all. PHP, a language I really struggle with is currently the most important to me because I need to use it.

3. doubt

doubt Fanatic

+1,489
    C++ is very easy to learn:

cout << "Hello World";

That's all. :p

4. pierce

pierce Fan

+461
    A programming language is one thing.

A programming architecture is completely different.

In reality it's how fast and quick you can adapt.

A website can have:

Html
    CSS
    Php
    Js
    SQL

All different languages.

Html has a ton sub languages XML, RSS, atom, html 5, owl, etc

CSS is complex with many ways to hammer square pegs in round holes

Php is from a scripting language to a full blown monster with layers of abstraction.

Js - an evolving monster getting bigger every day due to web technologies exploding

SQL probably the most stable language of them all in my list. Again varies from mysql, mssql, oracle etc

5. PeterH

PeterH Neophyte

+0
    I know C++,C,Pascal,Java,C# but I prefer C# and I think it is easy to learn.

6. KarenL80

KarenL80 Aspirant

+1
    I heard php is free open source platform but less secure.

7. KarenL80

KarenL80 Aspirant

+1
    Some programming languages have a complex architecture, that what I meant I need an easy language with simple architecture to start with.

8. rafalp

rafalp Desu Ex

+310
    Somebody please tell me what "programming architecture" means in the context?

9. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+1,667
    Javascript may be the most accessible after HTML, especially if you standardize on a specific framework.
    It's not native code but since pretty much all browsers run it, you can either make your code a web app or embed it into compact local webkit instance.

API calls have significantly abstracted the need to learn and master programming languages, since all your app needs is to interface with the real app using whatever connectors and languages you're yourself comfortable with using, even if it's a different one from that app's.
    If it's APIs for websites like Facebook, it's the easiest to handle and can be leveraged in pretty much all programming languages as long as your app is connected to the web and can contact those sites' APIs. If it's locally installed libraries/DLLs, you're relieved from the heavylifting their function provides (using an mp3 encoding or ImageMagick library, for example)

10. pierce

pierce Fan

+461
    If you are about to code a million line, a 5000 class, with 20,000 functions you need a drawing.

A coder needs software architecture like
    A builder needs a plan made by an architect.

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&sour...n0M_SytNFDWpFEcoA&sig2=LA6vg6-TlcBgTqBrMd8dUw

It can describe the programming pattern like MVC

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Architectural_pattern

API or a coding library are helpers. Like how many times do you validate user input for malicious content? That gets boring real fast.

Combining multiple api's into one product is still real programming.

Take a property site:

Google maps
    Twitter/Google/Facebook login
    Dropbox for pdf brochures
    Google+ for photos
    OneSignal for alerts to new properties

What are you storing at the end?

Users and property details. Which you could serialise and store in Amazon aws.

Then cache the whole page as static in cloudflare.

That's a lot of work a lot of real programming ( or copy paste from stack over flow).

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2017 at 5:27 AM
  11. rafalp

rafalp Desu Ex

+310
    Yes, software architecture, not "programming architecture". ;)

12. pierce

pierce Fan

+461
    I would argue that beyond syntax a programming language has its own "architecture" depending on which train of thought you follow.

Perhaps what I am saying is covered by software architecture?

Code:
    <?php
    echo "hello world";
    ?>

vs

Code:
    <?php

class SayHello
    {
        public function  World()
        {
            echo "Hello World";
        }
    }

SayHello::World();

?>

Yes, linear vs objective but you can get very funky registrys, with auto loaders, with frameworks and libraries that expect you to follow a very specific pattern.

13. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+1,667
    Using connectors to existing APIs/libraries makes obtaining the same result magnitudes easier, without dumbifying it to the point you learn nothing useful.
    Apps generally need to be coded in one language, but there's nothing wrong with mixing up the formula, even if its as simple as a c# user interface on top of libraries made in assembly.

14. rafalp

rafalp Desu Ex

+310
    What you are saying is covered by the term "programming paradigm". Your examples are respectively procedural and objective paradigms.

I've originally asked about "programming architecture" because not even once I've seen such term in academia or professional world, and wanted clarification.

Thanks ;)

15. pierce

pierce Fan

+461
    Fair enough, its only been 10 years since I was at university and the industry I work in has requirements for software development but not much. Not to a level that requires anything more than 30-40 hours a year. Though could probably do with a few hundred hours of improvements to make it better.

I apologize for the confusion. A paradigm is the correct term I don't know why I was thinking beyond that.

Learning how oAuth works is a pain in the backside. And some api's like Facebook are so expansive they take time to understand.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2017 at 2:04 PM
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted