Which one is better ? Proboards or Zetaboards ?

Discussion in 'Free Hosted Forums' started by meetdilip, Aug 3, 2013.

1. InspiredSCIForum

InspiredSCIForum Neophyte

+0
    Yes I can.

Here's my almost 5 month old ProBoards forum (which looks better for registered members) - http://www.inspiredsciforum.com

2. meetdilip

meetdilip Tazmanian Master

+755
    In just 5 months 7,000 + posts ? Wow !

3. InspiredSCIForum

InspiredSCIForum Neophyte

+0
    Yeah it's not doing too bad :)

4. Y2J

Y2J Enthusiast

+6
  5. HallofFamer

HallofFamer Habitué

+211
    lol proboards user review is at 4.5, clearly that says a lot so I dont need to add more.

6. Y2J

Y2J Enthusiast

+6
    i can share my ZB forum's link on FB

7. DirtRider

DirtRider bah humbug

+522
    If you ever decided to move from Zeta boards you can forget about getting your database from them so you will be starting over. It is just far better to get your own hosting these days and do it your self

8. Nogitsune

Nogitsune Unleash The Beast....

+412
    I really don't understand why people would use a Free hosting forum.

There are hosting packages that are cheap as sin and Free and you can still use free software like Mybb, SMF, Phpbb3 and Vanilla...aka MODERN software that actually has a great 3rd party community.

Why would anyone willingly use proboards, zetaboards, forumotion, etc etc?

For me, I'd probably go back to forumotion ONLY because i started there in 2011 before moving to Premium software(Xenforo to IPB) and i still frequent a few forums that use Forumotion.

I never liked Proboards or Zetaboards from an Owner perspective or a user perspective. They just feel extremely outdated to me(not saying forumotion isn't).

I do like the fact forumotion gave me a FREE .com after being with them for 4 months(Granted they owned it but stilll.)

If you cant export your data and move from a company at anytime, i do not see how they are any good to use. Even if you have no intention of moving, anything can happen...your data can be lost. I'd never trust a company who didn't let me export my data or back it up where i wished.

Yet they claim you "own" your site. K then.

9. Chrisy__1

Chrisy__1 Participant

+1
    For me it's ZetaBoards, the setup is simple, interface is clean and the support is great.

10. eurotopia

eurotopia Enthusiast

+3
    Been on ProBoards for 7.5 months and been smooth as vanilla.

I seriously gave VBulletin a thought but I'm not at the point where cost would be met by myself or the membership.

11. HallofFamer

HallofFamer Habitué

+211
    You will soon regret your decision to use proboards if your forum is serious business rather than just some admin training practices. Even for free forums you have way better alternatives.

12. GTB

GTB Tazmanian

+999
    If you want a free forum, then ProBoards is the best one. So you made a right choice.

13. HallofFamer

HallofFamer Habitué

+211
    Nope, proboards is by no means the best one, and moreover it is clearly below average. Id choose freeforums like zetaboards, invisionfree or even forumotion any day over proboards. The features are similar, and the others do offer a way to acquire your database file backup(though not free) if you want to move away someday.

14. pclinger

pclinger Aspirant

+17
    While your post was true a couple days ago, this is no longer the case. We just launched a new service, Forums.net, and ProBoards forums are able to upgrade to our new service. The new service does include the ability to get a full export of your forum's data.

15. meetdilip

+755
    What is the lowest price available at forums.net ?

16. pclinger

pclinger Aspirant

+17
    $9.99/mo

www.forums.net/plans

17. meetdilip

+755
    It says 50,000 page views but no mention about bandwidth. So no matter how heavy the page is, you allow 50,000 page views ?

18. doubt

doubt Fanatic

+1,475
    Because this thread is about Proboards and not Forums.net:
    Does it mean that Proboards doesn't exist anymore
    or
    It's possible now to get the database backup from Proboards now
    or
    Have to pay the fee for Forums.net to be able to get the Proboards database backup?

19. pclinger

pclinger Aspirant

+17
    Yes, the only thing we measure bandwidth for is attachments.

ProBoards still exists, these are two separate services. ProBoards is free hosting, Forums.net is paid with additional features and some changes. You can pay to switch from ProBoards to Forums.net.

20. meetdilip

+755
    I am confused. How much bandwidth do you provide if we use that term ? Or am I to understand that only text gets free bandwidth ?

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted