Which one is better ? Proboards or Zetaboards ?

Discussion in 'Free Hosted Forums' started by meetdilip, Aug 3, 2013.

1. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Fanatic

+272
    Please point out where I said this...

2. GTB

GTB Tazmanian

+1,045
    Well you give that impression, as you did talk about another company buying ProBoards out and your forum going with it. That was the general jest of what you was getting at, that you board is not safe because another company could buy that one changing things. Because you don't own the board renting a server it's on.

But OK, you didn't say it.

3. GTB

GTB Tazmanian

+1,045
    Read this: http://support.proboards.com/post/5454260

4. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+5,512
    Did you read this bit:

5. GTB

GTB Tazmanian

+1,045
    Did you read this bit.

6. The Sandman

+5,512
    I did read it. But the part I quoted seems to say that if something happens to the forum "which you own" Proboard's liability is limited to at most $50 even if it's their fault (e.g. they breach the contract).

7. GTB

GTB Tazmanian

+1,045
    I know exactly what you're getting at, what you are implying. But that is of course their because accidents can happen and data can be lost you own because of it. But what your doing instead, is reading something completely different into it of a malicious nature.

What you didn't highlight, was what was posted above it I've highlighted in red.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  8. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Fanatic

+272
    My point was that if the users own their own content how can Proboards sell their company? They seemed to have locked themselves in.

9. The Sandman

+5,512
    Not really - they can breach their contract and be out at most $50 per forum. There may be legal remedies to this but they are also limited by contact to arbitration in California (and inability to join claims), and of course would cost time and money.

10. HallofFamer

HallofFamer Habitué

+232
    I did say its not recommended for aspiring forum owners to start with proboards, but I never said building an active proboards forum is completely impossible. If you are experienced enough and that you have strong network, its a good chance that your proboards forum will be way more active than a newbie admin with a vbulletin/IPB/Xenforo forum.

Apparently you've completely missed the point I am trying to make. An orphan kid can grow into a kind, intelligent and wealthy man, he can lead a life better than you and me, but you cannot deny that in most cases the orphans lives could've been way better if they had grown up with their parents. Similarly, you can lead a pretty good life earning $100,000/yr, but you'd be better off with a job that pays you $300,000/yr. Yes you can build an active proboards forum better than most amateur admins, thats no doubt about it. However, I am 99.9% confident that your forums can be even way more popular if you use a paid forumware.

11. meetdilip

meetdilip Tazmanian Master

+733
    Free forums are good if

1. You lack budget.

2. You are not certain about it making the goal.

3. It is just a passion ridden non profit community.

12. snakeair

snakeair Neophyte

+0
    Is this thread on topic still?

I caught a thread over on Proboards mentioning to look at this thread. I've been with Proboards since 2001 and a former Global moderator on there.

The forum company won't be selling out at all. The owner is not like other business owner's who will take a fat paycheck and hand over the company.

Thinking I need a beer before I post my real thoughts.

13. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Fanatic

+272
    So it makes my point that Proboards is trying to act like users own their own content and be a champion of the forum end user while at the same time leaving their options open to screw over not only the members of the forums but the admins.

Reminds me why I was so excited to go to ForumCon to hear this guy speak about managing forums.

14. Y2J

Y2J Enthusiast

+6
    ok. now its time to discuss about pros and cons of zetaboards.

15. meetdilip

+733
    Pros - Free

Cons : Can't share on FB, no sub domain, Invision free is very old version

16. Y2J

Y2J Enthusiast

+6
    sub domain is main problem.:hissy:

17. InspiredSCIForum

InspiredSCIForum Neophyte

+0
    I use ProBoards and I think it's great!

18. meetdilip

+733
    Can you share it on FB ?

19. dscyrux

dscyrux Aspirant

+0
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but I don't feel the question was ever properly answered, as the thread went too off topic. A friend of mine is wanting to host a forum on one of these two sites that is purely for personal enjoyment; no gain will come from it. Which forum has the most customization? Which one has the simplest admin/moderator interface? I could use some in depth opinions on the two.

20. meetdilip

+733
    After trying both, I think better ignore them and head for smfnew or Icyboards.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.