Which Forum Software Is The Best?

Discussion in 'Forum Software Development' started by fixer, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Invision Community

16 vote(s)
    18.0%
  2. phpBB

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. SMF

6 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. MyBB

4 vote(s)
    4.5%
  5. vBulletin

4 vote(s)
    4.5%
  6. WoltLab Burning Board

3 vote(s)
    3.4%
  7. XenForo

28 vote(s)
    31.5%
  8. Other

8 vote(s)
    9.0%
  9. nodeBB

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Discourse

3 vote(s)
    3.4%
  11. Vanilla

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  12. Elkarte

4 vote(s)
    4.5%
  13. Don't know

10 vote(s)
    11.2%
  1. Ashley S

Ashley S Adherent

+125
    To be honest I've always liked MyBB it's been my favorite forum software for years.
    Easy to modify templates, moderate the forum etc.

Free = MyBB
    Paid = XenForo

2. gConverter

gConverter Participant

+46
    It depends on your website. If you only use forum I think the best choice is stand-alone forum softwares:
    • Free: phpBB
    • Paid: XenForo
    In case your website is not based on forum only and you run WordPress, the best choice will be:
    • bbPress (light forum)
    • wpForo (full-fledged community)
    Also, another good criteria is the GC-Rank provided by our company. It depends on number of From/To migrations for each forum software. Here are some examples of popular forum software GC-Ranks. The full list is available here: https://gconverters.com/statistics/
    • phpBB - 6
    • XenForo - 6
    • vBulletin - 5
    • SMF - 3

gConverter-GCRank-phpBB.png gConverter-GCRank-XenForo.png

3. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,127
    It was always IPS Invision Powered Services from 2002 its what the company is called. The product is IP.Suite or IP.Blog, IP.Gallery etc if you only want to address one.

4. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated asshat

+3,594
    Actual users of the script have tended to refer to the 3.x line as IPB.... with the rebranding the newer line (which is what this poll was a discussion of) is referred to as IPS - with IPB designating the older no longer supported line.
    This was along the times that IPS processed the changes to allow them to get out of the "life-time" support/upgrades that they offered with the 3.x line that they did not want to carry over to the 4.x line.

• Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
    • List
  5. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,716
    What is the time span of these rankings? If there is no time limit, then it will look very different than statistics of the last 12 months. Take vbulletin for example which was great many years ago, but not doing well.

6. gConverter

gConverter Participant

+46
    These data were collected during last 365 days. It's being updated everyday with each migration project. The time span 365 days. The recent migration projects are listed on right sidebar.

• Informative! Informative! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,716
    • List
  8. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,127
    If they do not track the same domains you will get different results.

9. lordi

lordi Adherent

+28
    none

10. gConverter

gConverter Participant

+46
    gConverter Ranks based on live cases, customer orders, migration projects we do. There is not more realistic counting method.
    To tell the truth I don't see how you compare these too statistic, I think they cannot be compared. They are totally different. The GC-Rank display To/From migration parts for each forum individually, it doesn't compare forums together. The Diagram you've mentioned is a total count and based on unknown method and it based on comparing. Also I don't see the time span there. GC-Rank is counted for last 365 days.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  11. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,716
    Thats a good point. You can click 'show historic charts' which will show you the changes per month. But I am not sure what time span it counts.

12. Douzeper

Douzeper Aspirant

+5
  13. Dragonchilde

Dragonchilde Participant

+16
    I'm currently testing DIscourse for my site's transition from a custom-built (and inadequate) solution to new redesign. We run on Ruby, and our tools have been inadequate to say the lease.

Discourse is making me rethink how I do things; some stuff we've always done because that's how we do it, you know? Discourse works differently, and I think it's going to be interesting. I don't like how some things aren't possible because of the founders' design philosophy (no blocking, because users should be able to drum someone out of the community, or something) but the administrative capabilities are incredible. I mean, really awesome. The tools for moving, sorting, merging, etc, are just the best.

We'll see how it works in practice, though.

• List
  14. Splinter2

Splinter2 Aspirant

+19
    The question's as broad as it's long. Best to use as a member or to administrate?
    I used SMF for about five years, mainly because it's free and I had zero experience in running a forum. It had fairly regular updates, but was a tad limited for customisation (in my opinion). What many members were asking for was an auto-save feature which I believe is still in beta. I liked it overall, but when compared to what's on offer elsewhere, the shortcomings stand out. Support at the SMF forums was however, outstanding.
    I'm currently using WoltLab, since at the time of choosing it was the most cost effective and apart from a recent hiccup, I'm very pleased with with how it performs.
    It's very mobile friendly and the WSC Connect app is superb. Gets my vote simply because I don't have experience with any of the others apart from SMF.

15. Pete

Pete Flavours of Forums Forever

+604
    Limited for customisation? Limited for out of the box configuration, perhaps, and limited perhaps in terms of what could be done with available modifications, but that's not really the fault of the platform since the platform's package management could let you literally do anything - and I certainly did some crazy, crazy things with it. I ported WordPress themes to it readily enough, I made blogs using it (so specific boards were blogs with a blog layout and the rest weren't, including using boards and doing things like tagging posts with GPS coordinates to be able to do a sort of travel blog - on a forum package)

But then again I'm a programmer and can tweak it literally however I like, which may be the difference.

Autosave has been available for many years as an addon, in fact I think there are even multiple addons for it, but it is core now or will be if 2.1 ever manages to get released.

16. Splinter2

Splinter2 Aspirant

+19
    Pete
    Easy for you but not the majority of us who are not programmers and yes, there are plenty of add-ons for SMF but I could never get any kind of auto-save to work and waited patiently for the core to be updated, until it eventually became vapour-ware.
    In broad terms though, WoltLab needs a more varied selection of plugins.

17. Pete

+604
    I even wrote one of the auto-save solutions a number of years ago for 2.0...

2.1 isn't vapour-ware, it's still in quite active development, downloadable from the same place it's been available from for the last nearly-7-years: https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1 - though I won't deny it's taking overly long to get anywhere which is why I stopped and started my own fork of it for my own needs.

18. Vekseid

Vekseid Participant

+20
    Moved my MyBB forum to XenForo. Members were using it in a way that MyBB was simply not equipped to handle.

My SMF forum is going to be moving to Elkarte.

19. Pete

+604
    It’s interesting, if 2.1 ever actually gets released, it will outperform Elkarte in quite a few ways for bigger boards.

The thing about Elkarte is... I see a lot of work but I couldn’t tell you what it actually brought anyone.

20. TrixieTang

TrixieTang Politically Incorrect

+2,806
    Years ago, I never would have imagined a "Best Forum Software" poll getting more votes for SMF than vBulletin.

Never forget that the best forum software of today will eventually be the has-been of tomorrow.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.