Featured When will you shift from XF1 to XF2?

Discussion in 'XenForo' started by Freelancer, Oct 9, 2017.

1. I will switch immediately as soon as XF2 stable is released

2. I will wait a few months and see how it works

3. I will wait at least for XF2.1

4. I will wait till ultima and shift only when all my add-ons are XF2 compatible

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. zoldos

zoldos Lord Malleus

+92
    I don't see any issue. I've been on forums before that were running highly outdated scripts and everything was fine. I plan to pay the $70 one last time so I can at least get the latest updates/security patches. I'm currently running 1.5.18. It' runs great with a fully dedicated server and PHP 7.0.33.

2. DaveL

DaveL Habitué

+203
    In the process of sorting out a test site with xf2. 1. Must say I'm loving it! Just waiting for a few more template edits and should be good to go live.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  3. dvduval

dvduval Adherent

+9
    I switched maybe 6 months ago, and the transition was easy. And I really like the software. It's fun to use. I make software myself, and I really like what they did.

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  4. MikeDance

MikeDance Aspirant

+6
    I've upgraded to it but I don't see any improvements. I also can't get Font-Awesome 5.11.2 Pro working because Xenforo refuse to let us have an easy way to do it without themselves upgrading FontAwesome in the next version of Xenforo with no option to use the Pro.

5. Russ

Russ Administrator

+1,833
    I think I gave you instructions on how to do it?

Screenshot_2.png

Seems to be working just fine.

6. MikeDance

MikeDance Aspirant

+6
    Yeah mate thanks you showed me and I did get it working on the front but the admin area was screwed up with boxes everywhere. It's so complicated to get it working when it should be something out of the box in 2019 21st century... and the staff couldn't care less about making it easier. So going back to IPB and selling my first ever license with Xenforo.

7. Russ

Russ Administrator

+1,833
    Just read your post.... adding your CDN into PAGE_CONTAINER for the front end should not change the backend at all, something was definitely off.

In regards to your comment about they choose the version for you.... XF backed Font Awesome early on in the Kickstarter process and obtained a "Theme License" which let them release Font Awesome files with their software. They're not allowed to use a CDN for everyone to use. The good news... everyone in XF can have Font Awesome Pro without purchasing a license, the slightly negative side is they just simply need to update to the latest when they can. I think the good outweighs the bad for the majority of forum users.

If you're anxious in upgrading, it's literally a one-line edit to add your own CDN. That being said, best of luck on IPB. Looking at the official forums... looks like they're running 4.7.0? Not sure if it's an option for a newer version.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  8. Xon

Xon Adherent

+447
  9. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+1,033
    I'd expect there always to be a fire to put out somewhere if there's constant space battles occurring! You'll have to tell them to hold fire for a while to ensure it all goes smoothly :)

10. Xon

Xon Adherent

+447
    SpaceBattles has been on XF2 for a week now. Beyond some recently reported bugs, the core XF is (now) quite stable. Lots of minor styling complains but the team (aka not me) is slowly working through them.

Because we aren't using guest page caching; Most of the performance improvement from the XF1 to XF2 version of the site actually comes down to a hardware refresh. Dedicated AMD hardware instead of paying the horrible Intel side-channel migration tax in a virtualized environment.

I did run into a MariaDB 10.4.x bug/performance regression where join_cache_level > 0 causes catastrophic performance issues when some of my add-ons where installed. 0.002 second query turned into a 3 second query :(

• Informative! Informative! x 3
    • List
  11. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Administrator

+2,279
    That's good to know. I was considering moving from MariaDB 10.3 to 10.4 by the month's end, so I'll hold off until I've seen this is addressed.

12. Dan18

Dan18 Fan

+263
  13. Xon

Xon Adherent

+447
  14. \o/

\o/ an oddity

+52
    Technically, the xenForo manual suggests that MySQL (Oracle's version) is the only supported database anyway. Which is a pity.

15. Kevin

Kevin Oooh, something shiny!

+1,225
    MariaDB is a dropin replacement for MySQL and there are several threads on XF confirming that it works fine.

16. \o/

\o/ an oddity

+52
    I never said otherwise.

Mind that there are incompatibilities.

17. Kevin

Kevin Oooh, something shiny!

+1,225
    Then why even say it?

As long as a dev codes any XF add-ons using the XF standards then it's not an issue (and many of us are using MariaDB and have been for some time). Any add-ons that aren't coded to standards or are doing something above & beyond the XF environment then that becomes a compatibility issues with that addon/dev, not XF.

18. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,701
    MariaDB does not only work fine, its highly recommended for medium to large xf boards.

19. SteveAR

SteveAR Aspirant

+4
    I'm not gonna lie I like xf1 mobile version better than xf2

20. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Habitué

+165
    I think that XF2 is better on mobile.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.