Featured When will you shift from XF1 to XF2?

Discussion in 'XenForo' started by Freelancer, Oct 9, 2017.

1. I will switch immediately as soon as XF2 stable is released

2. I will wait a few months and see how it works

3. I will wait at least for XF2.1

4. I will wait till ultima and shift only when all my add-ons are XF2 compatible

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Destroy Repeat

Destroy Repeat DestroyRepeat.com

+83
    I have already done it to the 7 websites that I own. Anyone not upgrading is just going to stay stuck with with they have until they upgrade.

I mean, I loved XF1, but even I would know that it had some areas that needed to be upgraded. I upgraded without hesitation. I ran some tests, but other than that, I was really not hesitant.

I even upgraded my backend from MySQL 5.2 to 5.7. Then PHP? 5.4 all the way up to 7.2. :D

On top of that, I grabbed a nice custom skin from Pixel freakin' Exit! :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  2. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+1,991
    I've recommended both XF1 and XF2 to clients, depending on their situation. Generally, I recommend XF2, but in a few cases clients had very specific needs covered by a premium XF1 add-on which doesn't yet exist for XF2.

3. ripptech

ripptech Professional Lurker

+43
    I just made the switch this week. The site looks and acts more or less the same, very minor (IMO) differences but of course the ZOMGWTFBBQ YOU CHANGED IT I HATE YOU started right off the bat. The only thing holding me back before was an adequate replacement for a certain dev's addons that aren't being updated for 2.x. Found reasonable facsimiles and its all good. mostly.

4. esquire

esquire Habitué

+629
    Unless another version adds needed functionality, I don't find any compelling reason to fix what isn't broken and not worth the risk of a premature headache. I don't plan on making any switches until every essential add-on I have has been tested and confirmed to work with minimal fail.

5. southernlady

southernlady Coder/Designer

+156
    I'm doing a test run of 2.09 now to see how it all works. Not touching my original until I figure things out.

6. LPro

LPro Aspirant

+16
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  7. R0binHood

R0binHood Fan

+687
    That's really Sad. I've bought a number of Arty's themes over the years and he consistently released some of the most beautiful XenForo themes available.

I'm glad to hear it sounds like he'll still be working on his Iconify project that will benefit forums though. His icon integration with the themes was one of the best features of his recent releases, being able to quickly and easily insert well designed icons to replace the node images was a pretty sweet feature.

His new Iconfiy project does seem pretty darn cool though, and quite a big undertaking!

https://iconify.design/

8. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+1,945
    A stable XF 2.1 in the new year will make the style makers busy.

9. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,537
    That is clearly a loss to XenForo.

10. Destroy Repeat

Destroy Repeat DestroyRepeat.com

+83
    Russ. Russ. RussRuss! I'm calling you!

*pulls him to screen*

*pulls Mike CreuzerMike Creuzer and points*

One of you should do something here. *slowly whistles and quietly departs*

11. Arty

Arty Developer

+89
    Sorry, but it had to be done. Its not fair for customer to keep promising that I'll update styles when there is no end in sight for Iconify work.

Good news is I'm currently working on integrating Iconify to XenForo, so good old icon picker, but in much much improved format will be available to all style designers and add-on coders. Hopefully you'll see it soon in many styles.

Anyway, this belongs to different topic. I'll make one.

• Like Like x 6
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
    • List
  12. zoldos

zoldos Lord Malleus

+86
    I have one forum with XF1 and another with XF2. lol I've modded my 1.x forum so much that it would be impossible to upgrade. Plus I'm much more familiar with 1's template system. :)

13. Mike Creuzer

Mike Creuzer Developer

+166
    ArtyArty simply put I've been a fan since you first got started. More than 10 years is right, I used your original ColorizeIt system with Simplicity and others. You are an original, an innovator, and a rare talent in not only forums but on the web as a whole. You were one whose work inspired me to get into development and interface design and product.

Blah blah blah super fan aside, I cannot wait to see what you do next. Your icon system is simply amazing and one I intend to use for all my products.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  14. LPro

LPro Aspirant

+16
    I bought UI.X license a few days ago, TH guys did great job with UI.X but Arty's perspective is different he is truly an artist who combine Art and Code

I respect your decision and thank you very much for your years of support
    I wish you good luck with the Iconify project :tup:

• Like Like x 2
    • List
  15. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Habitué

+161
    I'd like to upgrade my site to XF 2.1, but I can't right now, because the content ratings add-on is incompatible and I don't want to lose data :(

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  16. R0binHood

R0binHood Fan

+687
    Yeah, I upgraded without waiting and now I've had to revert back to stone age 'Likes' only until an update from Xon comes out. It's been bloody awful. How am I supposed to express myself without reactions?! By commenting?! Pffftt....:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  17. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Habitué

+161
    Do you know if you upgrade with disabling it first if the rating types would be maintained as reaction types on 2.1? I'm thinking about just upgrading.

18. R0binHood

R0binHood Fan

+687
    No idea. I've got a couple of errors in my ACP, but I've been too embarrassed to post them in the Content Ratings thread because I wasn't supposed to upgrade yet. :whistle:

Been holding out until the update comes before I pester him.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.