Featured When will you shift from XF1 to XF2?

Discussion in 'XenForo' started by Freelancer, Oct 9, 2017.

1. I will switch immediately as soon as XF2 stable is released

2. I will wait a few months and see how it works

3. I will wait at least for XF2.1

4. I will wait till ultima and shift only when all my add-ons are XF2 compatible

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. tokyoice

tokyoice Adherent

+34
    I absolutely love the look of XF2. A massive upgrade, it's so much cleaner!

2. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+900
    i want to switch now , but the links directory , groups and maps are too much a part of my site for me to go, I'm trapped by third parties , no wonder facebook is kicking everyones ass in the forum world we are our own worst enemies.

I know what I need to do... convert to IPS and bail on software that you have to rely on people who live in 3rd world countries that can barely speak english.

literally the only first party add-on xf has that's worth a look is the media gallery and its so complicated only 1/3 of my staff know how to use it and about 1% of the members ... something about having to click 9 buttons to upload a photo that pretty much makes people not want to use it

I just need to go to IPS and never look back

3. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,161
    Can you expand on that? I understand the problem you have being locked into third party add-ons, I have the same issue but I'm particularly interested in what it is about XenForo 2 that's so compelling.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  4. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+900
    I just need to face the facts , IPS clubs is what my Militia Forum Needs so bad , its features are 100% better than nobita or snogs , looks better runs better , coded better... is first party. The links directory on IPS is so much better than au laits its not even close

Just let me please show you....IM NOT SPAMMING THESE ARE MY SITES...

IPS Links Directory 10/10 GENIUS!
    https://www.progungroup.com/index.php?/links/
    Xenforo Links Directory 2/10 TRASH
    https://www.mymilitia.com/linkdirectory/

IPS Groups 10/10 GENIUS!
    https://www.truckpullers.com/clubs/
    Xenforo Groups 1/10 TRASH!
    https://www.mymilitia.com/groups/

IPS Maps (Never Tested)
    Xenforo Maps - 10/10 GENIUS!
    https://www.mymilitia.com/widget-pages/maps/

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,161
    Thanks, although I'm adopting a wait and see attitude that's pretty much why I'm starting to lean towards IPS in the long term. I've yet to be convinced that XF1 > XF2 is right for me for similar reasons.

6. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+900
    1. xf has better SEO
    2. they have pixel exit and theme house in their corners,
    3. sirupu chat box is way way better than IPS
    4. i like xf template system better
    5. xf admin cp is better

its harder to make IPS your own as you can tell from my 2 IPS sites its default theme with color scheme , i update the sites from my cell phone when im on break at work , takes like 60 seconds and im done.

I know the right answer i just don't want to face it...

i have over 600 links in my directory in xf that will be gone, hundreds of groups gone and learning to use a new map its going to suck to start over , but i do not see a future to where xf can stand alone UNLESS they make a strong effort to integrate , maps, link directory and groups ...im going to have to bow out :(

xf2 needed to be designed for mobile applications 1st to be able to have its corner of the market and be viable ,, it did not succeed and when it comes to a forum power house IPS is KING....

I mean seriously 2018 and no built in push notifications?

May just take a week off work and move the site to IPS and quit crying about it... xf1 is doing its job for me right now but im trapped, its like having a vb 3.x board when 4 came out and we were all just looking at each other like...welp were screwed

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  7. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer

+1,698
    IPS doesn't have push notifications either, btw.

They have desktop notifications which is reasonable, but it's far from the power of push notifications. I might be wrong, but AFAIK they're not supported on Android in that basic form. You have to implement service workers and the proper Push API to receive them on Android. And even then, there's still no support for them at all on iOS (come on Apple...).

The comparisons to VB3 and VB4 are unfair. There's certainly a couple of people (literally a couple right now tbh) who have expressed disappointment, but we've delivered exactly what we said we would, and now we're working hard on delivering XF 2.1 which will be a full-scale new feature release - the exact thing that 2.0 wasn't ever intended to be (but actually had some nice new features above and beyond feature parity).

• Appreciation Appreciation x 2
    • List
  8. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+900
    the fact that out of all the claims i make, you picked a single one that was about push notifications and saying IPS can't do it either.... supports my other facts and even tho you may be right , If i was a betting man , id say IPS will be first to market when it comes to 1st party cross platform push.

Pound for Pound IPS is the clear winner, xf has a niche they need to focus on mobility if they don't IPS will make them obscure and I have been on board with xf since day 1.

The writing is on the wall, I should of seen it when 99% of every xf1 install is reliant on BD Widget Framework so much that first party add ons support it, its too late now, but for xf to have ground to stand on they would of purchased the main add ons and made them first party they didn't so all us customers have to rely on each individual developer which does not work its a toxic relationship and im done with it. I have wasted hundreds on software thats not supported and dieing a little everyday...time to cut my losses and jump ship

9. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer

+1,698
    There wasn't really much else worth getting into, tbh, you're entitled to your own opinion but that was the only thing that was factually incorrect, so I thought it was worth clarifying. And it wasn't exactly the only point I brought up, but I'm not going to get into anything with you in detail as I've seen how discussions with you go when someone doesn't agree with you (which I don't) so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

It's unfortunate you're deciding to make the move, powered mostly by some unmet expectations we never set and assumptions about the future which are wrong, but you've got to do what you feel is best for your communities and I respect that, so I wish you the best of luck.

10. Steve

Steve Administrator

+3,050
    Negative ghost ride, maybe for you they are but for the many others IPS loses when it comes to support for admins. One thing I've learned over the years is people want (need) quick support and answers to important questions. This isn't just from my online experience (Pixel Exit) but also my offline business which has been strong for over 20 years.

The difficulty I found with getting responses from the pre sales forum and community developers was highly disappointing. I'll keep on with XF without doubt (hopefully for years).

People really need to lower their expectations on things that were never promised. There are demo's to see what is the best to choose and I'm sure XF developers (Owners, ect..) didn't twist your arm into buying unsupported add-ons.

11. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+900
    xf2 is a major improvement over xf1 , looks and works better, too bad i can't use it because none of the features i need will be ported any time soon , so to make my site better i have to start over in these areas, and since i have to do that i may as well go to a software that supports what i need.

Ive been around the block a few times, I'm not too proud to admit when I'm wrong, If i just look at 1 aspect...my board needs "groups" perhaps the most important thing I need, IPS has groups xf2 don't , so unless you tell me 1st party support for groups is coming this year , i'm a victim of circumstance, i don't want to have to leave but i have to do whats best for my community

12. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+900
    Every time I've needed support from xf or IPS they were there.

13. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,623
    The lack of a good social groups function is a real problem for us as well. Same with PUSH, newsletter, international payment methods, monetizing, languages and all other functions where all addons are very buggy or non-existent. It creates a situation that drives us insane and holds our communities in a deadlock. Its refreshing to see IPS reading the XF suggestions forum so carefully and raising the bar significantly with a plethora of very compelling features.

However, I cant expect that to be addressed in XF2.0
    Admins that face the same dilemma's should not hastily migrate to XF2 now because it will not resolve their problems, but exacerbate them.
    Let's see what XF 2.1 & 2.2 have in store for us.

14. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,161
    I agree, that will be the deciding factor for me and at the moment there's nothing much to be lost by waiting.

15. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+900
    being first is crucial , “sit and wait” is not a effective proactive measure

16. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+844
    Yeah, and ask Apple too. Check to see how waiting and seeing worked out for them in all their markets.

Not downplaying my desire for XF to move forward quickly, just saying that second mover advantage often has huge advantages in the long run if you can refine and better execute on what your competitors have already released.

17. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+900

not for websites , dont apply

who is first wins not who is best

look at how many crappy forums are super active because they were first , there may be 100 competitors and every one is better but all the people still go to the old crappy site

18. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,623
    I am still not following you. Why on earth do you need to use XF2? If you need to release a new site first then use XF1 or XF2 without too many addons.
    I don't see the point in being first on XF2.
    As I see it all you are being first on is presenting your site with less features and your users with more problems.
    Could you please explain what's the point in that?

19. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+900
    go ahead and release a facebook 2

and even if the site was better in everyway you will still fail

i have many many reason im bailing on xf i can list them all , ive been building forums for many years , ive been to the top of the mountain.

the online climate has changed and who ever does not adapt now, RIGHT NOW, will be neck deep in the landfill of forgotten websites

i own a couple of them sites i've tried to kick start them i gave them the best chance to remain viable but there nitche is controled by facebook and nothing i can do to compete they are dead.... this grave yard will be full of vbulletin sites that last post was 2012 and every page features a broken photo bucket image ... its so so sad.... the online climate has changed you either adapt or get ran over.

my militia forum is Risqué enough to survive as a nitche liberal facebook wont touch so for me to capture this and capitalize i have to make my site as friendly and easy to use as facebook and be as cutting edge as possible to concrete my site as the definitive resource on the internet

i cant do that if i'm waiting on resources from third world countries

20. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,013
    Not really.
    Did you try it with VB3 to VB4?
    VB4 to VB5?

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.