Featured When will you shift from XF1 to XF2?

Discussion in 'XenForo' started by Freelancer, Oct 9, 2017.

1. I will switch immediately as soon as XF2 stable is released

2. I will wait a few months and see how it works

3. I will wait at least for XF2.1

4. I will wait till ultima and shift only when all my add-ons are XF2 compatible

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Freelancer

Freelancer Aspirant

+43
    I would also attest that the XF team is always up to date when it comes to fix any security leaks. So that is not an issue at all.

One essence I have found here from the comments is that when a software relies heavily on third-party solutions to satisfy the admins' needs it is clear that a switch will be delayed and more cautious. The good thing is that XF1 is working very reliable and stable, so that there is no technical urge to upgrade fast.

For me XF2 now needs to prove to be a "better" platform for third-party developers and I will measure it in how sophisticated, stable and fast "next-gen" add-ons will come.

2. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,449
    Pretty much. In the end, I see no advantage to upgrading for me at this time. Upgrading will also be costly for me as I need many custom addons to be rewritten, so I am in no hurry.

3. Mouth

Mouth Enthusiast

+108
    At the moment, it's not a guess of when but more a case of if.
    XF2.0 is not inspiring, and like others have mentioned, provides no ROI or compelling reason to invest the time and money in upgrading.
    I look at alternatives such as IPS, and I see great and inspiring features and core add-ons. They have a staff of ~15 (10+ developers) and thus I see the pace of features and continuing innovation with core add-ons most likely coming from them than XF. It is only a significant 3rd party add-on that currently holds me to XF.

4. Joeychgo

+3,449
    I feel the same pretty much --- but from what I understand, XF 2.1 will bring the new features for users. XF 2.0 is mostly backend changes.

5. bossArch

bossArch Participant

+8
    yet....
    bear in mind that XF2.x is under heavy development.....

Like improved anti-xss, captcha etc

6. ProJules

ProJules Midnight Rambler

+40
    We are already building on it.

7. Mouth

Mouth Enthusiast

+108
    From where do you get that understanding?

8. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,679
    As XF2.0 is mainly aimed at feature parity and lays the foundation for rapid feature development, we can expect a feature waterfall release for XF2.1
    At least that is how I understood Chris D's posts.

9. Joeychgo

+3,449
    Several developers and its been discussed in various places

10. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+5,508
    Well, that is the implication but it’s been a long time coming and very vague - no roadmap, no timetable, no specifics. Team XenForo has been playing it coy for quite a while now.

11. Bionic Rooster

Bionic Rooster Adherent

+202
    I hope the feature roll out goes smoother than the xf2 roll out, a long test and debugging on their test server and only to find over 500 additional issues on their main site is silly.

12. Joeychgo

+3,449
    Yes -- and that has seemingly slowed addon development

13. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,049
  14. Mouth

Mouth Enthusiast

+108
    Could you provide some URL for those places?
    I'm hoping to determine if XF are essentially providing roadmap(s) and functional feature development intentions, perhaps albeit it disparate locations, or if the sense of XF2.1 functional support is just being wish-listed or speculated by clients/audience?

15. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer

+1,754
    https://xenforo.com/community/threads/welcome-to-xenforo-2.132146/

No roadmap, as such, but internally we have a big list of stuff we wanted to do for XF2 but didn't due to time constraints.

Aside from anything else, focusing primarily on the framework to open up future development was the entire point. From January 2015:
    (Emphasis mine).

16. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+5,508
    Was it expected to take this long, or were there one or more confounding factors that slowed down development?

17. Chris D

+1,754
    It was always going to take this long, though we perhaps didn't anticipate it would take this long.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
    • List
  18. Joeychgo

+3,449
    Unfortunately, and I believe unintentionally -- XF created a bit of a mess IMO.

On the one hand, because its feature locked, and because many addons don't have a 2.0 version yet, (and many wont for awhile from what I'm hearing) -- its not prudent or beneficial for many forums to convert to 2.0

On the other hand -- XF isn't really adding much in the way of features for the 1.5 branch, and many mod developers don't want to invest time developing something for a version (1.5) they will have to completely rewrite to be compatible with 2.0. At the same time, there isn't a lot of incentive to write for 2.0 because adoption rate is low at this point.

In short, it seems like we've been on hold for about a year -- and it looks like we'll be on hold for another year or more.

This is a problem.

19. Brad

Brad Meh

+1,266
    We go through this every time a new major version of any forum software comes out. Only a few embarrassments like vB5 broke this trend. Improvements on the back-end will trickle down to the community slowly and the benefits will be seen in time. Concerning the add-ons/hacks; Most of the problems with slow porting/development come from the fact that a lot of them went commercial so now you're relying on one team/person to get around to doing the work. In the old days add-ons that were used by everyone would see quick ports. Either you'd get ad-hoc collaborations to port them over or someone that knew how to do it would have ported it themselves and released it. It may have been hacky and buddy code (at first) but most of the time it would work and any problems would get solved early on. We lost that at some point.

20. Chris D

+1,754
    Frankly, if any developers didn't take the opportunity when it was given them (a year ago!) to exploit the advantage of the developer previews and get a head start on XF 2.0 development then that's on them. Thankfully, I don't believe the image is as gloomy as you make out, because a lot of developers did.

I disagree that adoption rate is low. We've seen far more people bite the bullet and move their existing sites to 2.0 than we ever anticipated and many new customers are coming on board because of XF2 and starting their XF journey with XF2 rather than upgrading at a later date and this is hugely positive seeing as we've not released a stable release yet.

Developers really should not be resting on their laurels and they should be positioning themselves at the forefront of this new era. They should have ideally started a year ago (and many did) but it's not too late.

Incidentally, the resource authors with the most resources represent over a quarter of the total resources available in the Resource Manager. I know for a fact that most of them (the ones who release code based add-ons, at least) have started or are still planning to release XF2 versions of their most popular add-ons.

I'm not worried in the least, but my biggest disappointment so far is how few new styles we've seen for XF2. I can perhaps only put this down to the fact that it would have been hard work during the developer previews to keep up with the amount of changes being made, especially as all preview releases were technically the same version (XenForo 2.0.0 Alpha), and so there would not have been a simple way of merging changes across releases. Even then, we're still making lots of template changes so it's probably still difficult to keep up.

All this to say that basically I don't agree that this should be looked upon with negativity. Everything is moving in the right direction and any challenges upcoming should not be insurmountable.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.