When did theft become okay and even acceptable?

Discussion in 'Internet and Technology' started by Anton Chigurh, May 24, 2019.

1. Russ

Russ Administrator

+1,770
    It could be age, maturity or something else going on. I have a sneaky suspicion the user would not have appreciated someone else copying the custom work he did previously. When they first started off, they were clearly passionate about the project and was excited to post about the updates which were refreshing to read about.

I've had a client in the past where his custom style ended up ripped on a warez site weeks later, I felt devastated for him because he was extremely excited about the style and the project.

2. Nev_Dull

Nev_Dull Anachronism

+1,037
    I think there's a lot of cognitive dissonance that goes into this behaviour. It's the only way I can understand it. I know people who are "good" citizens, who work hard, teach their kids to be honest, etc., and will casually discuss all the movies and programs they've downloaded from torrents.

Maybe there's also something about the nature of the medium at play. Perhaps we can't yet comprehend digital assets as being the same as tangible property. Not to pick on PoetJC but the fact that you can rationalize using pirated software as a sort of try before you buy experience is a good example of how we view software. I suspect, Poet, you wouldn't use the same rationalization to take a car or a television without paying.

We're all a part of it. Even when we know it's theft, we make excuses for people ("Well if they're broke", "Maybe they don't know any better", "As long as they admit it and apologize") Maybe that too is just rationalization because we know (or don't believe) we can do anything about it. Or maybe it has just become a part of online culture.

3. Steve

Steve Administrator

+3,141
    If it’s true that Resetera gave the permission to use it I think that’s a huge mistake.

4. Anton Chigurh

Anton Chigurh Ultimate Badass

+991
    It kind of.... emboldens and rewards theft, doesn't it? Especially if the thief then gets away with claiming the permission came before the fact.

And not for nothing, a designer friend told me that whole incident put a little damper on sales, people hesitant to buy custom styles seeing one from a prominent design house, just blatantly and unapologetically stolen.

5. Anton Chigurh

+991
    I could give some forgiveness for the transgression, if the bolded above condition were met. But I would never actually make any excuses for it.

People make mistakes, we all do - but there's the segment of lowlife scum that would never own up to it, would never take the least bit of responsibility for their mistakes, would only inform us that it wasn't really a mistake, in their addled brain. We're not all a part of that segment.

6. Solidus

Solidus Stupid machines!

+332
    I'd never pay for most products that come out of Hollywood, and I wouldn't feel bad for it either. If only something decent came out of it. However, when it comes to software, themes, plugins and so on, I pay.

7. Kevin

Kevin Oooh, something shiny!

+1,184
    So some theft is OK as long as the product isn't "decent" in the persons view?

8. Solidus

Solidus Stupid machines!

+332
    No, nothing to do with the product itself.

9. Anton Chigurh

+991
    I think he meant, "worthwhile" in that context. And not sure he is saying he steals, I read it as he does pay for some products from there, but not most.

I'm the same way, but if I don't want the product I simply do just fine and dandy without it.

10. Kevin

+1,184
    Then feel free to clarify your comment about Hollywood.

11. Solidus

Solidus Stupid machines!

+332
    I don't support evil.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. Kevin

+1,184
    The part about not feeling bad about not paying for it would seem to imply otherwise. It should go without saying that a person should feel fine for not buying a product they don't like if they also, of course, don't use it.

13. Anton Chigurh

+991

14. haqzore

haqzore Devotee

+1,178
    Do you consume the product?

15. Nev_Dull

Nev_Dull Anachronism

+1,037
    You're in the store to pick up a couple of things, when you receive an important call. A few minutes later, you realize you have walked half way to your car with the items still in your basket, so you go back in and pay for them. That's a mistake. Going online to a site that has nulled and pirated software, downloading and installing it, isn't a mistake. It's a deliberate act that can't be washed away with contrition and shouldn't be forgiven. Maybe there isn't much that can be done about it legally, given the complexities of jurisdiction. At the very least, though, that person's name and image/avatar should be posted all over the place as someone to be aware of. Maybe we need an internet database of scumbags.

16. Solidus

Solidus Stupid machines!

+332
    Never. Hence "If only something decent came out of it"

17. Anton Chigurh

+991
    Right, but... The entity in question didn't do that. Was only asking how they get away with it. Unclear still whether it was asking how the warez sites get away with theft, or how the warez users get away with using the stolen stuff without getting caught and/or getting malware. Also still unclear whether it's asked just from idle curiosity or for schooling knowledge.

The JoyThief, the one who ripped the custom style, definitely fits your scenario with intent. For me contrition doesn't "wash away" the act, it's still outright lowlife theft, but it shows at least some modicum of realization that the act was wrong. If they man-up and admit what they did and apologize, I for one can consider the case closed - but would never trust said person and would still warn others about him.
    :ROFLMAO:

How bout:
    Code:
    internetsuckfish.com
    Could be a team of volunteers who go around screenshotting the stuff like this, they see online. To keep for posterity and put the scum on blast!! And for the membership to comment on. Could even have a "Contrition Forum" where the suckfish can come in and apologize, explain, make amends!

Brilliant idea! We could get PoetJC to design the suckfish caricature logo and do all the branding!

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  18. MagicalAzareal

MagicalAzareal Magical Developer

+129
    Theft is probably one reason (among many) why SaaS (Software as a Service) is becoming a big thing over selling licenses and what-not for people to use on their sites.
    People can charge $100/month right off the bat or other marked up rates for businesses and they don't have to play a game of cat and mouse with pirates.

19. PoetJC

PoetJC ⚧ Jacquii: Black Kween of TSSN ⚧

+5,322
    Touche.
    And you've made some quite interestingly compelling post.
    Only one thing ... I definitely would use the same rationalization ... IF I could get away with it. And so would many many many many many many many others.
    Only thing is - at the end of the day - I would feel compelled to make it right by making the purchase.
    Others don't, haven't and wouldn't. And therein is a great distinction even though 'thou shalt not steal' is commanded of us. But yeah... Whatever...

I am definitely a Volunteer of the great Volunteer state ==> Go VOLS #VFL #GBO...
    But I will most definitely need my money for this branding package LOL

J.

20. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,663
    Yes, this is true. Due to the overreaction by Joyfreak here, I contacted ResetEra to inquire if full permission was granted and if it was before or after the imitation. The admin was happy to answer and to let me know that they did recently give JoyFreak permission to imitate their design as long as full credit is given to them. JoyFreak did not originally have their permission -- They were completely unaware of his site until others brought it to their attention.

• Informative! Informative! x 2
    • List
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.