What's the best free forum site ??

Discussion in 'Hosting Discussions' started by sazzywils82, Jul 28, 2005.

1. sazzywils82

sazzywils82 unclue chick !!

+0
    What's the best free forum site ?

i was thinking of starting a new forum but dont know wot site to use

i want to make a free one too maybe to start of as im a newbie to forum making

anyone with any ideas ???

Lasted edited by : Jul 29, 2005
  2. SaN-DeeP

SaN-DeeP TechArena.IN

+4
    Not sure what exactly you are requesting for here ?
    Are you looking for help finding a free hosting provider and/or free forum software script ?

For free forum software I will go for phpbb forums. (although I have seen many major vulnerabilities been rectified in past few months).

If paid forum software is affordable, vbulletin is always the best choice.

3. sazzywils82

+0
    sorry im new to all this

ive noticed since ive joined this site im a total dummy to forum owning and i havent got a clue about a thing lol

well wot im after if it can be done is a professional forum site that is free with a selection off free skins and maybe a domain too i have got a few already but im getting rid of them after using http://www.big-boards.com i noticed that there was sites already done but there was one topic that it couldnt find that i am intrested in doing but i know that if i stick with this site for help i know my forum when done will be great

it would be great if everything was free like the logo as i can design and also custom styles

4. sazzywils82

+0
    wots invisionfree like

remembering im new a this

5. Valis

Valis Andromorphic Man

+0
    May I suggest that "good free forum hosting" is an oxymoron?

In any case, there are a load of free forum hosting offerings to be found on the net. You might try googling "free forum hosting" and "free forum hosting reviews". The latter query should result in some review sites that may give you user comments concerning a number of free hosting sites.

If you don't mind paying something like $4.00-$8.00 a month for a host, then there are quite a few that use Fantastico. Fantastico provides a simple and easy installation of the free forum software they provide. It takes about 30 seconds to install your forum and get it running. From that point, you can then configure the forum to your liking, and without unwanted advertising.

Invision board is very good, and the free version is good enough for most needs. It is offered on a number of hosts through Fantastico, as well. The paid version has many more features, but comes with a fairly hefty price.

vBulletin far and away excels above the rest. However, it, too, is costly. Anything from $85/year every year to $160 to own, plus $30 per year for updates. Nice board, tho.

phpBB is, despite many detractors, a pretty good board for being free. The down side to phpBB, is that you need to add various modifications to bring it up to current standards. Not for the faint at heart, I would say. It is, of all of these mentioned, the easiest to use, however. If you just leave it alone and use it out of the box, so to speak, then upgrades and security updates are pretty straightforward.

Anyway, I hope that offers you a few more options.

6. sazzywils82

+0
    thanx for that it gave gave me some more choice

7. snowcrash

snowcrash loafing

+1
    Well for phpbb, a good free forum host I found is jconserv. You have to put up with google ads though have option of paying a small amount to remove them. And you can use your own domain
    They techs know what they are doing and offer good support. You can request for mods, though it's not often you get them. But still worth going for if you don't want the hassle of hosting your own site and constantly updating phpbb. But like I said, you are restricted to the mods that they provide. Though this I think is true for all (?) free forum providers

8. nerd_patrol

nerd_patrol Nerd Patrol Forum

+0
    i personaly use invisionfree i find it good just cause its free and you have alot of customization and you only have to put up with google text ads and one banner somtimes
    the adds are very random but in the same spot

9. sazzywils82

+0
    hey nerd i like the way ur forum is set out how did u do that

10. shellspeare

shellspeare Uninteresting

+29
  11. snowcrash

snowcrash loafing

+1
    Which ever one you choose, I think it's important that you can download your database and tables (forum posts, members etc). Otherwise you are locked into that board and won't be able to move.
    Some boards don't allow, others for a fee, (and maybe some even for free?)

12. zorg222

zorg222 In The Process

+2
    I would agree that excoboard would be a good choice for a completely free deal to start with.

Although in order to be a really successful board (usually)...you would at least have to get phpbb (I woud actually suggest vb if you had the money), and get some good hosting (probably paid).

13. Valis

Valis Andromorphic Man

+0
    I dunno. I'm just not much into free. We get what we pay for. Generally, I prefer a bit more control over my forums. Still, I won't dis anyone who sees things differently.

14. sazzywils82

+0
    thanx everyone for your advise
    but im having problems trying to get myown domain i tryed yesterday on a site called www.dot.tk and never got my e-amil of them
    and the same has happend again with www.tz4.com

15. gprime

gprime Getting Back Into It

+2
    Those are both low quality redirects. Not real domains.

If you want a proper one, the easiest way is to buy a domain with your hosting package from whomever you host with.

16. sazzywils82

+0
    oh right lol silly me

ill buy one then thanx

17. gprime

gprime Getting Back Into It

+2
    No problem. Just so you know, the link (?) in your sig doesn't work.

18. sazzywils82

+0
    oh thanx for letting me know

19. grillman6000

grillman6000 Aspirant

+0
    forumforfree.com

they offer free IPB's and phpBB's and soon to come vBulletin...

20. Totalwise

Totalwise Games 'N Softwares

+0

VB isn't freeware.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted