Question What's happening to Admin Zone ?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Jack_Rouse, Mar 17, 2015.

1. s.molinari

s.molinari Leader of Skooppa

+1,952
    Actually, the developer community are still on PCs (or laptops). They have to be and that won't change for a while. Well, I am betting on that future some. :)

I'd also venture to say, although there may be more mobile devices than PCs, there will always be a "large screen device" market, simply because some things just are a whole lot more enjoyable to do, with a large screen. Developing programs is one example. Playing games is another.

And in general to what you said, "people need to have apps", is one way to put it and I agree. Though, I'd extend that viewpoint a bit. I'd say, people need access to your website and it needs to perform like an app on their mobile devices, for them to use it best. This is why I am not completely convinced responsive design is the best answer to the mobile device paradigm and for every kind of website, especially those which form complex applications, like forums. Responsive design is IMHO a "copout" to serve a mobile device a better mobile experience. Responsive design is ok, if all you have is simple content. But, as soon as a web application gets just a bit complex, then I think an "app" ( an application that works with the device more natively) becomes a necessity.

Building an "app" is just a whole lot more work to accomplish and thus we cop out to responsive, because..... it is easier.

Scott

2. eva2000

eva2000 Habitué

+810
    Really depends on the audience and topic/content of the specific site. For instance, across 3 of my most visited domains, average mobile + tablet traffic is only <2-9%. There's just some content or topics better suited to large screen devices and forums for discussion.

3. Alex.

Alex. The Ancient Dragon

+1,197
    TAZ was one of the very few forums I visited and I curtailed my use of the net when the weather began to warm up here. Suffice to say, it never quite cooled down. Apart from TAZ, I post on a few sports forums and the occasional ESPN article, but I never bother to keep up with alerts about replies or whatnot. I follow the same process with XenForo sites or even the newer vB or IPS sites. I want to peruse a forum or site at my own leisure. Not have likes or replies stroke my ego.

TAZ is here to stay, much to the dismay of a very vocal few who've caused trouble for many years. It'll have its ups and downs, but it'll likely be here in another 10 years unless the world internet backbone implodes.

4. Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman Aspirant

+7
    I have noticed that you have now enabled guest posting. Why is that as I thought most forums did not like to allow guests to post?

5. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+5,518
    It's not really guest posting - guests can compose a post but must then quick register for it to appear.

6. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Tazmanian

+1,800
    but you can post anonymous
    upload_2015-4-30_9-37-28.png
    but the admins and mods know who posted it.

7. Lisa

Lisa Chaotically Proportional

+8,476
    What does that have to do with guest posting?

8. ozzy47

ozzy47 Tazmanian Veteran

+4,329
    In his eyes someone said post, so guest posting and anonymous posting is posting. :p

9. tomk

tomk Adherent

+180
    Post! Someone said Post!

Weather is finally nice here in DC.

(not everyone will get it)

10. Alex.

Alex. The Ancient Dragon

+1,197
    I'll take a stab. A weird It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia reference?

11. Brad P

Brad P Coder/Designer

+58
    ive been a member here for not even 24 hours and cant get enough of it. some great content for me to read up on

12. ozzy47

ozzy47 Tazmanian Veteran

+4,329
    Glad you are finding some useful info on here. :) Welcome to TAZ.

13. Brad P

Brad P Coder/Designer

+58
    There really is. Im only a newbie running my site so i need help on building traffic and ive found a great tutorial on it here TAZ

14. MantraGaming

MantraGaming Aspirant

+3
    Regarding the first post i think that changes,even radical ones has an incredible power. People want to see new things and that avoids to get bored.

15. CrazyTech

CrazyTech Enthusiast

+30
    I've been registered at this site for 10 years now (just realized it's been a long time!) and it honestly remains my goto for forum advice above blogs, ecourses or anything else. If there is not a current discussion on it (and let's face it, current discussions are generally limited to the latest software comparisons and questions or certain current trends), then I probably don't need to be worried about it. I come and go as far as lurking and posting, but I've always found discussions to enter into on the site each time I visit. Part of the beauty of forums is that they're much friendlier (IMHO) for looking at past discussions. Social media is very much about the here and now, giving the impression that older data is less valuable. Some of the trends we've experienced end and things revert to normal. Some don't.

I think we have to be careful of buying into everything always being a progressive trend into the future. Yes, forums are generally dying in the sense that many markets are over-saturated and shrinking due to the influence of social media, but it's a refiner's fire of sorts in that the community that remains is generally very intimate and organic. Social media is great for talking to people who you already know or maybe getting a word in with a celebrity or company, but how many have developed lasting relationships with random people you engage? In my experience, if I meet someone through social media, that relationship develops on other venues like email. My friends on my forum are still on my forum after years of contact.

That's how I view TAZ.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Alex.

Alex. The Ancient Dragon

+1,197
    Personally, I love visiting because I'm guaranteed to see at least one smackdown a week. Some drama is always good for a forum.

17. Danielx64

Danielx64 Developer

+1,395
    And it no fun when people are beating up something that you are a developer for and you have to deal with all the crap goes with it. In other words, being in the middle of the drama is a bad thing.

18. ozzy47

ozzy47 Tazmanian Veteran

+4,329
    Well some of that is to be expected posting a project on a site such as this. :)

19. Danielx64

Danielx64 Developer

+1,395
    While that is true, it seems that some people get it more than others, and that can sort of put people off from posting more about the project.

20. ozzy47

ozzy47 Tazmanian Veteran

+4,329
    I can totally see that, as it has happened recently with Christos. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.