Question What's happening to Admin Zone ?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Jack_Rouse, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Jack_Rouse

Jack_Rouse Use The Force

+162
    It must be getting on for a year now since Sandman acquired Admin Extra, and tried to make it more popular by offering Premium Membership across Zone and Extra for posts on Admin Extra.

At the time Admin Zone was running VB, and Admin Extra was running XF, and it was a failing Admin forum, not long after this the announcement was made that AZ would be migrating to XF, then later AE closed, coincidence mmm.

Now almost a year on, this place is at times quieter than Monastery, today in three hours there have only been six new posts, since midnight UK time about 18, thats hardly a busy Admin forum.

While this forum was running what is still the most popular forum software it was a lot busier, so what's happened to make it so quiet.

It can't be the change in software.... can it ? after most of those using it before were if I remember right VB users.

Or could it be that all this VB bashing on here has alienated the greater number of members ?

It's probably the sum of all parts, the software, the change, and the bashing you get if you dare mention you like VB.

What has happened to posters like Poet JC who used to be on here most of the day ? and others like her, the MOD team has also changed from then, it seems as though all the changes haven't all been for the good.

I would suggest that if anyone wants a lesson in how to kill a forum, they look at the history of this one.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  2. Azareal

Azareal The AtomBB Overlord

+471
    Honestly, TAZ might have gotten a little quiet over the past few weeks or so, but I can't tell you how many dead admin forums I've run into with TAZ being the most active one. The truth is that the entire niche has generally gone downhill.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  3. Monkey Wrench

Monkey Wrench Enthusiast

+59
    The forum thing is getting old for a while. Consumers want more than just a forum, they want the full website experience but without bloatware

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Nudaii

Nudaii Adherent

+37
    Exactly the niche in general has been downhill for a while.

5. Azareal

Azareal The AtomBB Overlord

+471
    Another point is that forum administration and other webmaster topics quite frankly.. Have been discussed to death.
    Most of the topics which could be discussed have been discussed.

It's not like other niches where there's always a new game coming out or a new episode of whatever.
    At most, a new beta of a software might come out every month or so.

6. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,184
    It may be more easily explained with the existence of the shoutbox, as it absorbed some of the chatter. Activity conducted there is less noticeable but stickier for participants.

7. TrixieTang

TrixieTang Politically Incorrect

+2,806
    Activity goes up and down, always has and always will. As has already been stated, the whole admin niche has sort of ended up losing activity in recent times, so it's not just TAZ.

That said, I get the feeling that this thread has more to do with you being unhappy with the software change than it does with TAZ actually "dying" or such.

• Agree Agree x 15
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  8. Adam H

Adam H ** Retired **

+2,685
    People have lives, have alot of work on and take breaks from forums all the time. Much like myself the past couple of weeks i pop in a couple of times a day if i get chance to see what others are talking about but am too busy to commit to responses which i cant follow up on in a reasonable amount of time.

Maybe your mistaking activity with moaning controversial little girls that bitch and moan about everything possible with no real goal other than to troll and cause unrest,...............most of which have been banned which is a sign that taz would rather have a 100 quality posts over 600 posts of adolescent arguments or misinformed rubbish.

Quality over quantity any day of the week.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Tazmanian

+1,800
    I was expecting you to say that.
    It's not bashing when it's true. It's educational.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. WD

WD Enthusiast

+377
    It's not just TAZ like many have said in this thread, the whole niche is dying, nobody has anything unique to offer anymore hence most forums just slowly die till the owner closes them. TAZ is one of the few active forums left, having launched a few webmaster forums myself I don't really see much point carrying on.

Most people are into social stuff now, maybe the way to go is a social network based on admin/webmaster stuff?

11. Anton Chigurh

Anton Chigurh Ultimate Badass

+992
    I've seen the switch to XF from vB kill traffic at more than one busy board. Subjective, I know.

12. Jack_Rouse

Jack_Rouse Use The Force

+162
    Other Admin forums were quiet a year ago, struggling for members, but TAZ was still a lot busier than it is now.
    I'll agree that the niche is "overstocked" but most of those appear and disappear in a couple of months, TAZ has been around a lot longer.

13. Jack_Rouse

Jack_Rouse Use The Force

+162
    I've read other admins on other forums saying the same thing, members use the shoutbox and fail to venture further into the forum.

14. Jack_Rouse

Jack_Rouse Use The Force

+162
    I'm not sure TAZ was ever that bad, other forums in the niche maybe, but what attracted me to TAZ in the first place was that it seemed to have a mature membership.

15. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Tazmanian

+1,800
    Alot of the discussion traffic here is on forums.
    Not much is happening in that space.

- waiting on IPB4 final.
    - vBulletin 5 is dead and IB doesnt care.
    - Xenforo 2.0 is a recode. No CMS. No plans, No timeline. BLah.

Boring.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Anton Chigurh

Anton Chigurh Ultimate Badass

+992
    That's one of the drawbacks of it and also why I don't use it. It kind of defeats the purpose of the forums.

17. Jack_Rouse

Jack_Rouse Use The Force

+162

I was asking the question because most members before the change were VB users, perhaps people are more inclined to be a member of an admin forum which uses the platform they use, case in point is the MyBB board and in the past phpBB communities was populated in the same way, perhaps thats where success lies, in forums dedicated to one particular platform, rather than "general" forums.

18. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+5,518
    What metric are you using, over what time frame? My statistics say otherwise, though as Erika mentioned posting is down over the past couple of weeks. But we're getting more members and guests visiting daily and on a month by month basis we're getting more posts than we have in years.
    :rolleyes_pigeon:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Also Wondering! Also Wondering! x 1
    • List
  19. Jack_Rouse

Jack_Rouse Use The Force

+162
    Just gut feeling watching the amount of new posts being posted over the past week or so, it doesn't seem to be that many on a daily basis, and new posts are what a forum needs to thrive.

20. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+5,518
    It's been a slow week for posting - maybe it's because people are digging out of the snow or something. TAZ has been around for about 580 weeks, some better than others. I think you're being a tad hasty in your pronouncements. If you want, we can discuss it again in another 580 weeks - we'll still be here. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.