What's a good starter forum?

EmmaRay

Enthusiast
I might be setting up a small community forum for my local area with a friend and we were looking at free forums like myfreeforum and proboards and so on.

Is there any particular one that's better to use? My only real 'want' is that it have the option to transfer all the users/posts/info etc in the future - I don't know for sure if we'd ever need it but it seems sensible to start somewhere with that available just in case!

Otherwise, I'm just after something that's relatively simple to use and has some upgrade options like a domain name etc etc. Any suggestions?

cheat_master30

Fanatic
Don't use a free forum host, it means you're stuck if you ever want to get your data back without a converter program.

But if you do have to use one, I'd probably recommend Invisionfree/Zetaboards (which will give you your data for a fee and have a significant amount of useful features and things). Stay away from Proboards, the staff are arrogant and seem to think they own your forum and content and impose stupid rules and pricing schemes on it.

EmmaRay

Enthusiast
If possible, just use free software, not a free host.

I've seen people say this in other topics but I have no idea how it works. Presumably I'd still need to get hosting somewhere but separately? Are there any guides around on how to go about that sort of thing?

bauss

Adherent
I've seen people say this in other topics but I have no idea how it works. Presumably I'd still need to get hosting somewhere but separately? Are there any guides around on how to go about that sort of thing?

You'll need to download the forum software from the forum website, and then proceed with the install instructions they provide. It's very easy.

I recommend MyBB - http://www.mybb.com

POD

Enthusiast
How to build a completely portable free forum:
1.get a freedomain from dot.tk
2.set up a database at myfreesql.net
3.sign up for a free hosting account that supports php
4.download filezilla and install it
5.download smf 2.0.4, unzip and upload to your website.
6. if you start having trouble with your host go to smf site and download settings_repair. go sign up for another free host. download everything from the public_html folder and delete account. login to your new host with your new credentials. visit dot.tk and change your name servers to the new host. upload everything from the old public html folder to the new host. wait a couple hours for the dns changes to take effect. now go in and fix your forum with settings_repair, or manually change the attachment,theme, smiley, and avatar directories. you don't have to worry about moving the database because its hosted by a 3rd party. if everything went right, you have successfully moved your forum to a new host.

meetdilip

Tazmanian Master
I too am against free hosting and free hosted forum in future perspective. Get a domain from a local provider (trusted) and hosting too. Some offer domain + hosting package which is good for beginners. All these may cost you some 20 dollars. Choose wisely, people here can help.

PS : I too think SMF is a good option.

Last edited:

ph3s

Participant
Like ^ said. If you a little bit serious about that forum stay away from hosted forums.

.tk domain is not a good idea as well, you won't get indexed well.

Get own domain, own hosting, myBB is easy to learn. That is the way if you want to have own forum not a forum that no one cares about.

Or better yet start with downloading xammp and myBB to see if you really like it.

meetdilip

Tazmanian Master
I am not pro but I have heard that free hosted forums don't allow us to migrate to our own set up. I was using 000webhost.com in the beginning. They once suspended my account saying that I am running a mail server at a time when I don't even know what is a mail server. I never sent mass mails. Also I am not sure if free hosted forums allow our own ads. There is alway a catch.

gogoblender

shiny happy pantless
If there was a free forum hosted solution that allowed users to port away their dbase for a fee, would that sound fair to you?

:)

gogo

POD

Enthusiast
Like ^ said. If you a little bit serious about that forum stay away from hosted forums.

.tk domain is not a good idea as well, you won't get indexed well.

Get own domain, own hosting, myBB is easy to learn. That is the way if you want to have own forum not a forum that no one cares about.

Or better yet start with downloading xammp and myBB to see if you really like it.

lol, why don't you go to bing and type in "trollzilla forums" and tell me again how you wont get indexed well.

POD

Enthusiast
I too am against free hosting and free hosted forum in future perspective. Get a domain from a local provider (trusted) and hosting too. Some offer domain + hosting package which is good for beginners. All these may cost you some 20 dollars. Choose wisely, people here can help.

PS : I too think SMF is a good option.

:biglaugh:
NO NO NO. Incorrect. A wise man always separates his registrar, hosting, and sql servers. that way they can't leverage you. i can tell that most of you are a bunch of noobs with no real insight. my entire forum operates completely for feee because i know the simple laws of covering your ass. you're an idiot if you get your hosting, database, and registrar at the same place. you gotta keep em separated.

ph3s

Participant
lol, why don't you go to bing and type in "trollzilla forums" and tell me again how you wont get indexed well.

What are the keywords that your forum works for? What place on google your forum will appear if I simply type Troll.

Don't know about the sq l(can't even imagine why would I keep it separetly?) , but register your domain separately I agree and here is why.

Most of that hosters that give you a doamin for free or register it for you actually have the control button and as soon as you decide to live them , you will be forced to pay for that domain or live it which is never good if you work to rise a project on that domain name

POD

Enthusiast
What are the keywords that your forum works for? What place on google your forum will appear if I simply type Troll.

Don't know about the sq l(can't even imagine why would I keep it separetly?) , but register your domain separately I agree and here is why.

Most of that hosters that give you a doamin for free or register it for you actually have the control button and as soon as you decide to live them , you will be forced to pay for that domain or live it which is never good if you work to rise a project on that domain name

because if you keep the sql database on a separate host you can move the site with ease, simply by copying the entirety of your public html and pointing your name server to a new host and uploading there.

ph3s

Participant
because if you keep the sql database on a separate host you can move the site with ease, simply by copying the entirety of your public html and pointing your name server to a new host and uploading there.

Now I see. Tia for the tip.

meetdilip

Tazmanian Master
:biglaugh:
NO NO NO. Incorrect. A wise man always separates his registrar, hosting, and sql servers. that way they can't leverage you. i can tell that most of you are a bunch of noobs with no real insight. my entire forum operates completely for feee because i know the simple laws of covering your ass. you're an idiot if you get your hosting, database, and registrar at the same place. you gotta keep em separated.

That is why I add " choose wisely ". In case of a good registrar that won't be a problem. Believe there are many resellers which gives good option deal with quality customer care. I agree that separating them would wise but at the beginning nothing much to worry about unless you are gonna make a serious fight.

@ gogo allowing our own ads looks like a better idea for me than porting the DB. They can take a share or provide their own adsense or other profit making solution on their forum. Then there is no problem of moving away arises.

POD

Enthusiast
That is why I add " choose wisely ". In case of a good registrar that won't be a problem. Believe there are many resellers which gives good option deal with quality customer care. I agree that separating them would wise but at the beginning nothing much to worry about unless you are gonna make a serious fight.

@ gogo allowing our own ads looks like a better idea for me than porting the DB. They can take a share or provide their own adsense or other profit making solution on their forum. Then there is no problem of moving away arises.
good point. i just tend to err on the side of caution...

techzechz

Aspirant
Unless you are making a serious forum, you should not work with free forum hosting services. If you still can't afford hosting (which costs a few bucks per month), then get free hosting, but expect your site to be sluggish.