What's a good starter forum?

Discussion in 'Free Hosted Forums' started by EmmaRay, Dec 31, 2012.

1. cheat_master30

cheat_master30 Moderator

+1,082
    You mean unless you aren't making a serious forum, then don't use free forum hosting, right? Because the way you currently worded it makes it seems like you think free forum hosts are better than paid ones...

2. klownz

klownz Participant

+7
    Am using zetaboards and it works a charm, very smooth & easy to work and you get tones of help from the people who run it... I have an active forum and could easily switch to paying for service like vbulletin but don't really see the point one thing with zeta though is you have to pay premium package if you want to enable email notifications to threads you subscribe to but premium package is dirt cheap anyway...

3. Kyrie

Kyrie Designer & Developer

+146
    My host is 58 dollars a month with free domain and let's you install your own message board with one button.

Granted, if you need that you probably can't do a forum.

But anyway here's a link: www.fusionrax.com

4. gogoblender

gogoblender shiny happy pantless

+510

Pricey... least for sites like mine

:foilhat:

gogo

5. Kyrie

Kyrie Designer & Developer

+146
    Oh crap, I meant a year!

6. earlybird

earlybird Enthusiast

+5
    This is probably directly opposite everyone else's opinion, but....
    Use proboards. Proboards you can get a subdomain name ending in .boards.net, which really isn't such a bad option in comparison to some subdomains. It is easy to use for a beginner, and you can get a real domain when you pay.

7. meetdilip

meetdilip Tazmanian Master

+733
    Icyboards is also nice.

8. Darth_Apple

Darth_Apple Adherent

+24
    I'm gonna agree with what many people here have already said. Paid hosting is usually a much better option for many reasons, and as has been suggested before, avoid registering your domain with the same company that hosts your website.

If you are going to use free hosting, I would recommend icyboards. Icyboards is pretty decent and has a $20 database export option, which is a huge plus. I would strongly avoid using forumotion or proboards, however. Both will lock you in and make it very difficult to ever move hosts. It's a rip off in a lot of ways.

9. GTB

GTB Tazmanian

+1,045
    Why do you have this big gripe with ProBoards for? Just curious, as everytime I read you talk about Free Forum Host, you always "slip it in there" to not use them (like you have some big issue with them)?

Did they do you a thick one or something.... at some point?

10. earlybird

earlybird Enthusiast

+5
    There are legal ways to move off the site, you know. It's not super user-friendly and requires tech-savvy members, but it's there. You're not locked in.

11. Darth_Apple

Darth_Apple Adherent

+24
    That is true, but some of those methods are very time consuming as well. It all depends on how much work you are willing to put into a host move I suppose.

According to the terms of service, proboards requires you to copy/paste your user's posts as crawlers are not allowed. That's not too difficult to do with smaller forums, but for larger forums, copying/pasting thousands of posts is not surprisingly a laborious task. I helped someone copy/paste the posts from their forum once, and it took many long hours to get the job done and it was a pretty small forum.

Of course they offer database exports with the latest version of proboards now (kudos to Clinger for that, BTW), but to the best of my knowledge, there seem to still be things in the terms of service that suggest that it would not be considered legal to write a converter for those databases. Of course I also have not read the terms of service thoroughly in a while either, so I could easily be wrong.

12. gogoblender

gogoblender shiny happy pantless

+510

First time I've heard ot this company.If they're still offering data export options very good option.
    We started out on invision free, and they had data export option which we had to pay for.
    Fair price
    I'm not sure invisionfree/zeta offers that now though

:)

gogo

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.