What was that?

VICE

tool
I can't believe my eyes.

I just read a thinly veiled rant from Dragonball Z - vB's most prolific premium modder (well, apart from Black Sabbath) - against IB management.

This isn't good at all. What will be left of vB5 if Dragonball Z also leave? Well, nothing much actually. The way I see things roll, it is clear that vB5 is slated for the cloud hence third party addons is pretty much irrelevant.

Just my opinion though.

PS: I've been wondering, can vB/XF/IPB/BB/etc. adopt features from third party addons without their consent? Somewhat a moot question, anyone knows the correct legal position?

Danielx64

Developer
Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page.
Please try logging in or logging in as different user Login or send a message to the admin

VICE

tool
Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page.
Please try logging in or logging in as different user Login or send a message to the admin
I'm still not sure about linking and quoting stuff, if Joe said OK, then I quote.

BirdOPrey5

#Awesome
I have no authority to grant nor deny you permission to post or quote anything.

TrixieTang

Custom Usertitle

VICE

tool
Fair enough :)
Basically DragonBall Z isn't happy with IB neglecting the modders by not fixing ancient issues and is adopting user tagging without DragonBall Z's consent.

i.e. instead of creating environment for the modders, IB is adopting their mods straight into the core.

Paul M

Super Moderator
What isnt cool ?

IB has every right to add any feature it feels users want, just because someone created a mod for it in the past doesnt mean they cannot.
Many features in vbulletin (and other software) existed as mods to start with. There have been many requests for user tagging since 2012.

Its already a common feature in many pieces of software (twitter & facebook for starters) and doesnt XF provide it - it seems to work here.

BrandonSheley

loving life
here is the post linked above..

ai.imgur.com_ufUTgih.png

So they are upset that user tagging is in the core? big deal...
Also I know ozzy has posted on vb.org that hooks aren't in vb5 which makes it harder for coders.. this would be a better argument.. but I'm sure db tech is just upset they may lose money..

Last edited:

ozzy47

Tazmanian Master
So it is Paul, I did not notice that it was in the vB5 alpha/beta testing area.

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
While I agree IB has the right to add any feature it wants, I agree with what dragonbyte said here:

Though I will say that IB copying major features of a mod exactly (though not the code) without any sort of attribution to the original designer/coder isn't exactly the best way to foster positive relations with the modding community.

IB has lost enough mod makers, and even though I'm thoroughly unimpressed with dragonbyte and their mods, it seems IB could and should do a little better job of taking care of their mod makers.

At the same time, I don't recall seeing dragonbyte's attribution to XF, twitter, facebook, etc

ozzy47

Tazmanian Master
So they are upset that user tagging is in the core? big deal...
Also I know ozzy has posted on vb.org that hooks aren't in vb5 which makes it harder for coders.. this would be a better argument.. but I'm sure db tech is just upset they may lose money..

Well yes and no. It is more of the fact that they are adding stuff to the core, rather than making it possible for developers to make mods for the system.