What to do with duplicated content?

Discussion in 'Forum SEO' started by Sylvain, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Sylvain

Sylvain Enthusiast

+61
    I've been posting news on my Wordpress blog for many years. I was cutting text on the original site and then paste it on my blog. I didn't realize it was duplicated content.

Now, what can I do with this duplicated content? If I add a "noindex" to my news category, will it fix the duplicated content?

Thanks

2. MikeDVB

MikeDVB Fan

+38
    Do you mean to say you're being penalized for duplicating pre-existing content? If so - having it not indexed may or may not remove the penalty.

Honestly it's always best to have original / unique content. Copying content from other places isn't really a legitimate way to grow your site in most cases.

3. Sylvain

Sylvain Enthusiast

+61
    I've exclude the category in my sitemap config. Now I guess Just have to wait and see what will happen.

4. princenuce

princenuce Neophyte

+0
    I think if you fix it now and wait for google update, it will not matter what

5. ManovikasSociety

ManovikasSociety Neophyte

+0
    Spine the original content and post

6. BrandonSheley

BrandonSheley loving life

+844
    Does the content mix in with everything else on your site?
    ..eg if your site is about ford trucks is the content your coping about ford trucks as well?
    If so I wouldn't do anything about it, let google see it all.
    Also this assumes the content your coping is a small percentage of your overall content on your site.

If the only thing on your site is copied content, then you might be screwed.

7. BGObsession

BGObsession Participant

+39
    Not to hijack your thread, but I've always wondered how 'duplicate content' is defined? When we create original content on my site, typically it might be posted as a blog, but we also post it as a discussion thread (because we find that folks won't comment often utilizing the vBulletin blog software), and also as a homepage article. Technically, we are 'duplicating content', but I don't know if that would have any negative impact in regards to search engines?

8. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,083
    In general, duplicate content is not a problem - I've written papers about this before.

For example, I once shows several examples where both the original and the archive thread were page one for a search query.

For years vb forums had an archive and there were no dup content issues. The only problem was that often Google would list the archive version much higher then the actual version. I believed this was because the archive was a much lighter page.

Posting an article isn't a problem, especially when there are posted responses that follow. Worst case generally is, Google wont rank that page very high. But as long as your whole site isn't duplicated content, you shouldn't have a problem.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. tieuthao

tieuthao Neophyte

+0
    delete or repair this article then addurl to google index again.

10. DanielDP

DanielDP Neophyte

+0
    There are two ways to handle duplicate content :
    _ 301 Redirects : This method informs users and Google Bot that your webpage or website has been permanently moved to a new address.
    _ Canonical Tag : This property notifies Google Bots that the content on the page to which it is directed is the original content.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted