What to charge for display advertising?

Bikenut

Enthusiast
I have a couple of companies in our forum's niche that want to pay for display advertising on my forums. I currently have adsense taking up the IPS advertising display blocks, but the revenue is less than I want.

The companies are asking for a rate card, which I do not have. Anyone have a rate card that you would be willing to share or any advice to offer? I honestly don't have a clue what to charge.

Solidus

Stupid machines!
I have a couple of companies in our forum's niche that want to pay for display advertising on my forums. I currently have adsense taking up the IPS advertising display blocks, but the revenue is less than I want.

The companies are asking for a rate card, which I do not have. Anyone have a rate card that you would be willing to share or any advice to offer? I honestly don't have a clue what to charge.
You can see how much each ad position earns on Adsense. If sidebar ads are earning $60 a month, try to ask for $70 or $80.

overcast

Adherent
How much your competitors are charging? Find that out and park the number around it.

fixer

I'm In My Prime
ive always been very cheap on ads, even on my big board i preferred giveaways to the members over $ and so did the vendors. i gave away $65,000 in products over a 4 year span and built a community of vendors and members that lived and grew together

what you guys are asking for sponsorships is insane

dont matter what the google ad is earning, sponsors are real people who contribute more to your site as part of it

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
sponsors are real people who contribute more to your site as part of it
not always true --- they don't always contribute and often when they do, its only self serving contributions.

How much to charge depends on many factors. What vertical are you in? Different verticals have different pay abilities. A sewing forum might not support a higher paying ad because the average order they get is small. If you have a similar competing forum, what do they charge? What can you make with adsense in that position? All are factors.

I price my ads high, and I do that because I don't want 50 ads. Why have 50 ads at $300 a year each when you could have 15 ads at $1000 a year each?

GoingRight

Participant
We have potential sponsors approaching us weekly whose offerings we know to be garbage. We tell them they will not be received well but they are adamant to reach our audience. We often sell them a sponsor branded thread that they then get plenty of feedback from our community on why their concept or product is crap.