What the hardest thing about being a developer?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Danielx64, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman Tazmanian Master

+1,872
    Hmmm. The hardest part for me is figuring out what goes after <?php :p

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

+1,706
    A new line :)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  3. lav

lav Neophyte

+0

Hi,
    i feel difficulty with java especially with importing statements

4. Alfa1

Alfa1 Moderator

+2,008
    I very rarely have shortage of creativity for functional design. I always have a shortage of reliable professional high quality developers who want to manifest those idea's.

5. Antes

Antes Developer

+103
    Go open-source you don't have that issue (mostly) :D

6. Gosu

Gosu Aspirant

+26
    My biggest challenge is product specifications. I like being 100% clear of what a product should and should not do before I work on it. Lets say a client told you to perform an action but the action will open up two cases Case A and Case B and you are in a dilemma which Case is the correct one because sometimes both seem like good options to go with and depends what your client wants. In such cases it is better to have a quick word with your client and clear up the requirement than assuming and adding some unneeded feature, but doing so you have to stop the development of that feature until your client responds.

Then there are third party apis such as facebook, google, etc. They will change their policies overnight and something will stop working.

7. Pete

Pete Habitué

+182
    That's great until you have clients that change their mind about what they want...

8. Gosu

Gosu Aspirant

+26
    Assuming that was a reply to my post. Usually those cases we have to charge them for the extra time since its a feature that was not requested. Most of the features are documented and any changes related to them. Yes there are occasionally cases where client said they wanted Feature A and later said they wanted Feature B if its a small change you can choose to do it or if its a big one then you better have some chat log ready. :p

9. thedarkdragon

thedarkdragon Neophyte

+3
    For me, it has been convincing other developers to be open minded about new technologies. For example, it look awhile for my fellow developers at the company that I work for to try the Golang programming language, but now they love it.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted