What search engine do you use when Google Fails?

Discussion in 'Internet and Technology' started by Alfa1, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Ask

2. Bing

3. DuckDuckGo

4. Wolfram Alpha

5. Yahoo!

6. Yandex

7. Other (post your search engine)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. MagicalAzareal

MagicalAzareal Magical Developer

+189
    I don't think they should destroy any historical or cultural relics, no matter how "unpleasant" they think they may be. They are still a part of history nonetheless.
    It's not like you see people going, "Hey, let's bring back slavery!" either.

Heck, the Roman Empire slaughtered countless and there are statues glorifying them everywhere. You don't see the Europeans going crazy over it.

2. Nev_Dull

Nev_Dull Anachronism

+1,061
    However, unlike the confederate army, the Roman Empire didn't fall -- it just became a religion. ;)

In the video, could it be maybe that because most people use Google, there might be a lot more specific questions that are entered on those topics, which would change the results? The argument isn't helped by including chem trail conspiracies and suggestions that anti-vaxxers aren't idiots.

3. MagicalAzareal

MagicalAzareal Magical Developer

+189
    I think Google is scared of being held liable over what is promoted on their platform, especially with politicians harping on and on about "fake news", "hate speech", etc. and that they're not part of some global conspiracy.

They do have the incentive to downrank results or obscure them entirely.

The other big platforms are like this too and some of them have bigger problems, they span multiple jurisdictions, so they have multiple governments fighting over what people can and can't do.

For instance, hate speech laws in Europe are far stricter than they are in the U.S. but posts are visible internationally.

4. Jura

Jura Devotee

+234
    Bing is my default

Pros:
    It has a better image search interface
    Image search also bypasses Pinterest stuff to make you sign in
    Point system where you can give to charity or spend on Amazon/Target

Cons:
    No reverse image search...not that they're generally any good
    No advanced stuff like putting search terms in quotes, etc.

Otherwise fairly comparable search results.

5. martin smith

martin smith Participant

+5
    I Prefer Bing and Yahoo when Google search engine fails...

6. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,405
    Well I did at least try other search engines but to be honest Google appears to give me the best results every time. I'm sure they are evil personified, using my search results to build a profile that feeds me what they want me to see but to be honest I'm satisfied with those results. In fact I don't give a flying fig :eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.