What search engine do you use when Google Fails?

Discussion in 'Internet and Technology' started by Alfa1, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Ask

2. Bing

3. DuckDuckGo

4. Wolfram Alpha

5. Yahoo!

6. Yandex

7. Other (post your search engine)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. southernlady

southernlady Coder/Designer

+186
    Since I move so often, I make sure my searches are where I want to look. Not necessarily where I am or it thinks I am. But I still prefer Google.

2. MarkFL

MarkFL La Villa Strangiato

+1,794
    For most searches, I simply rely on google. However, I do make extensive use of W|A (WolframAlpha) for a lot of mathematics related activities. :)

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  3. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,129
    DuckDuckGo is my main search engine nowadays, alongside other privacy-respecting services. For the occasional search on Google, one can simply append !g and it will query it instead.

Using a different search portal is insufficient if you dont change your browsers' default SE from Google and a browser that is especially not chromium based (pretty much leaving only Safari, Firefox and whatever can be bolted on top of edgehtml). The latest developments from google are rearing a future in which we're no longer browsing the internet but navigating inside a closed googlenet just as bad as china's walled intranet...

4. truthingtotruth

truthingtotruth Aspirant

+21
    Oh my goodness, that last observation is amazingly accurate. That is probably the best way I have seen the situations described, and I have been watching this develop for a fair bit. In fact, pretty much right from the beginning before even some of the employees realized something was afoot.

"... inside a closed googlenet ..." - - - Definitely cool!

Do any of you remember what that Nixon fella did to ATT? Nothing really stopping that sort of action from being repeated. I think that was ATT. Was a fair bit ago.

5. bernard

bernard Enthusiast

+16
    Firefox + NoScript + Privacy Badger and default search set to Duck Duck Go.

6. NavyRet

NavyRet Aspirant

+13
    I find myself using Bing and Duckduck more and more often as Google becomes more and more willing to sell space at the top of the search results. Like when I am looking for the address/phone number of a local restaurant and the top 4 entries are ads for restaurants in New York or LA. I live in Minneapolis. So for me, Google is becoming a third or fourth choice.

7. Paul M

Paul M Limeade Addict

+2,148
    I have never known Google to fail, so never had a need to use anything else.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Nerdface

Nerdface Aspirant

+13
    ..but Google doesn't fail, does it? :er_what_Pigeon:

I went through a phase of using DuckDuckGo, but soon reverted back to Google.

I saw https://www.ecosia.org advertised on Facebook a while ago, but I've yet to actually try it..

9. HWS

HWS TAZ Member

+142
    Using duckduckgo since over a year now and today it is almost on par with Google.
    If I don't get good results, I sometimes tried Google but that no longer leads to better results since a few months.

10. Alex.

Alex. The Ancient Dragon

+1,171
    Google. I learned how to use the advanced parameters years ago. I might use DuckDuckGo once in a blue moon.

11. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,160
    It's interesting to compare search results between engines. In many cases the differences are astounding especially when searching a site for images.

12. gogoblender

gogoblender shiny happy pantless

+517
    This

:gogo:

p,.s,. . I guess I'd find it strange if my search results didnt "satisfy" me...but they do. If, i guess, I felt I wasn't being satisfied with search results id use another tool.
    searching, for me, is a very pragmatic thing...I dont search a "right" way..i search to get results and whichever tool works wins :)

13. overcast

overcast Enthusiast

+22
    Duckduckgo seems to be improving a lot lately. I know their no tracking policy limits them from showing local results much like google or bing. But its still better on many ways.

14. cornnfedd

cornnfedd Captain Futurama

+205
    wait there are other search engines besides google?

hmmm ;)

Honestly I have only used google pretty much exclusively for the past 10 years I think, as much as I hate google I do find its the best on offer, well its the easiest for me anyway.

15. 1claire

1claire Aspirant

+1
    Bing is my to go to search engine whenever Google doesn't work properly.

16. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,160
    Interesting. I've been trying alternatives to Google and so far I've found Google never fails to return results I consider most relevant to my search terms. These are search words that are generally unique to me.

DuckDuckGo however seems to dig much deeper and gives high priority to results that I can only describe as weird and wonderful. Far less relevant but in many cases very interesting nonetheless.

Bing seems to be second in line in terms of expected results except for their image search which is rancid :eek:

I might try some others but so far Google wins (but only as a search engine).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Matthew S

Matthew S Adherent

+188
    I had no idea Wolfram Alpha offered a search engine. I occasionally use their mathematical equation solver to check my hand worked solutions.

18. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,623
    This video lays out the difference between Google and DDG and when DDG is better:

In short: Google makes all sort of decisions for you including censorship and hiding results, while DDG uses old fashioned keyword ranking and brings up whatever scores best.

That does bring home what I mean with 'when Google fails'. There are times that Google simply will not show you the results that you know are there and are most useful to your query, because results are omitted. Yet, in a few other cases the algorithm of Google can be better. In general I'm more content with DDG, but will use Google as the alternative now.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  19. MagicalAzareal

MagicalAzareal Magical Developer

+73
    If I'm using Tor, Duckduckgo (otherwise, it kinda defeats the object of trying to be private), although... Their results are absolutely awful next to Google's.

I don't think there really is an alternative to Google, particularly for it's image search (you can literally upload an image and lookup all instances of it across the internet).
    I've tried other search engines, but they tend to bring up really irrelevant results, especially Bing where it sometimes feels like they pulled a bunch of random items out of a hat.

Google's machine learning magic is just far too strong.
    It fails a lot for me, but if it fails, then chances are that no other search engine will succeed either, although it does seem to be hiding a lot of search results this year over any other.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  20. Zero Numbers

Zero Numbers Adherent

+29
    It's a psychological operation.

All these big tech companies and people working in the shadows are silencing the truth and those who speak or give the truth pertaining certain matters. People must to wake up. There's a war on humanity.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.