What search engine do you use when Google Fails?

Discussion in 'Internet and Technology' started by Alfa1, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Ask

2. Bing

3. DuckDuckGo

4. Wolfram Alpha

5. Yahoo!

6. Yandex

7. Other (post your search engine)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,663
    Since last year Google search has become much less useful to me. Especially when if comes to search suggestions and giving results from forums. Google results often relate to your location and previous searches which is useless when searching for stuff that is not relevant to this. While Google was way better than duckduckgo before, I'm now using duckduckgo more often and sometimes bing. I'm now trying out additional search engines like yandex, wolfram alpha again to see if these have improved.

What search engines do you prefer?

2. Ingenious

Ingenious Fan

+221
    I have to agree, Google just isn't as good as it was. For me the main issue is the prominence of search results where the target page is stuffed full of rubbish - scripts, excessive adverts, pay walls, pop-ups that obfuscate content, auto loading and playing video... stuff I thought they were trying to discourage, but maybe the bots don't see it the same as the end user.

3. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,663
    It seems to me that Google wants webmasters to start paying for ads on search results.
    I have added a poll for search engines.

4. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+953
  5. haqzore

haqzore Devotee

+1,178
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  6. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,279
    I must admit I haven't even thought about trying another search engine in years. Maybe I should just to see how they compare.

7. haqzore

haqzore Devotee

+1,178
    But if it ain't broke..

8. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,279
    Very true but maybe the grass is greener... :D

9. haqzore

haqzore Devotee

+1,178
    I hear ya. Incase you weren't already using them, check the link I edited into my first reply.

I use the site specific search all the time, for example.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  10. truthingtotruth

truthingtotruth Aspirant

+21
    I use this page from the Hannon Library folks at Southern Oregon University:

http://libguides.sou.edu/searchtools/home

By the way, the discussions at Google about the tweaks to the search product has been quite interesting at times, both the public posts and the ones behind the partition, so to speak.

I've been very fortunate to have a front seat while watching a monster company in this new business change gears, if I can safely use the vocabulary "gears". And I also have one heck of an archive of that front seat view. But that archive won't be released for a fair number of years, mostly for legal reasons. Too bad about that, for sure.

11. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,663
    I consider that basic level stuff and about 20 years old.
    Google's algorithm has rigorously changed in the past 10 months and is still changing. Not for the better IMHO.
    IMO Google used to be 10 times better than the next thing. A day and night difference. Now the difference is not so big.

12. truthingtotruth

truthingtotruth Aspirant

+21
    Uh oh, somebody has been doing the homework. But it actually started in 2017. Just that it wasn't quite so easy to spot in the very early stages.

And I have to agree with you on the 'not for the better' point of view. But if you knew who I was over there you'd understand that right off. But my hiding (so to speak) style wouldn't work if you use my 'forum print' - - - like a fingerprint or voice print - - - to allow you to figure out what my User ID is over there.

13. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,099
    Where they not changing the algorithms before 2017 i can remember that in 2016 people complaint that they where not being found anymore.

14. truthingtotruth

truthingtotruth Aspirant

+21
    The key modifier in Alfa1's post was the adverb rigorously, because they are constantly tweaking the code, but Alfa1 is referring to something more than a tweak.

You know, that search engine code is some nasty, nasty, and nastier stuff to have to work with. You can develop a drinking problem if you have to work with that stuff too long. But I ought to be careful what I write here, correct.

Oh yes, and we_are_borg, the complaining at all the Google products is of a very professional kind. Some of the finest complaining in the world can be studied on the Google product forums. It is a much better level of complaining than at Microsoft or Yahoo. One big reason is the forum platform they used up until the last change. It really was good for reading, responding to, and general handling of complaints. The new platform has them Star Trek machines in mind and isn't so cool as before.

15. KimmiKat

KimmiKat Adherent

+111
    Havn't used Google much anymore. I still remember Dogpile from the old days.

16. FuturaMX

FuturaMX Neophyte

+2
    Mainly use Google, but I'm getting fond of DuckDuckGo lately.

17. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,031
    Ditto.
    I'm trying Bing now.

18. haqzore

haqzore Devotee

+1,178
    Interesting to know.

I for sure use the Google "modifiers" in the minority of my searches, and I guess that's because it usually just works without them.

19. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,220
    I'll sometimes resort to using Bing. I haven't been terribly impressed with DuckDuckgo's search relevancy.

20. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+953
    There's some interesting Q&A's here from the DuckDuckGo founder

https://www.quora.com/profile/Gabriel-Weinberg

Interesting tidbit of information too, the ad network that DuckDuckGo uses to run its ads is actually the Bing / Yahoo search network.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.