What matters and what doesn't for Google ranking

Discussion in 'Forum SEO' started by djbaxter, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Silvester

Silvester Enthusiast

+0
    Very interesting and useful information...

2. grishamist

grishamist Aspirant

+0
    Thanks for the information. I really need that info to be on the rankings.

3. LenBackus

LenBackus Neophyte

+0
    Skip H1 and start with H2 ??

4. TVDinner

TVDinner Enthusiast

+9
    great information. thanks for posting it. Makes me want to go back and reevaluate all of my coding and sites.

5. motokochan

motokochan Habitué

+20
    No. Do a proper outline.

In general, your site name/logo will be in the H1 tag, so all major page headings will be H2.

6. LenBackus

LenBackus Neophyte

+0
    I guess this is why I asked if H1 should be used at all.

7. motokochan

motokochan Habitué

+20
    Yes, it should where appropriate. In semantic coding, each tag has a use and a page should be coded with respect to its outline. If you do this, you'll get the most benefit from your site. The easier you make your page to parse, the less the individual tags will matter as the search engine will be able to figure out the structure much better.

(With respect to the h2 tag and below being given more prominence, it is likely due to the semantic coding practice of putting the site name in the h1 tag, which is where it probably should be for most designs.)

8. djbaxter

djbaxter Tazmanian Veteran

+463
    I think it's also due to so-called SEO experts overdoing use of the H1 tag to the point where Google at least now ignores it as a ranking factor.

9. nricklee

nricklee Aspirant

+0
    Thanks for providing that great information.

10. Dodger

Dodger TAZ Razzer

+0
    If that were the case, then one could hypothesize that Google would apply that to all heading tags.

I think it is more like repetitive H1 text that is spit out by popular software solutions such as WordPress et al which use the Sitename in all H1 tags. It is unclear to me why their default themes are coded this way, and why all theme developers continue to code it that way.

My feeling is that a page is a document, and as such, should stand on its own. The site name should have no bearing on that document and therefore should NOT be in the H1 tag.

I am going to take bullet 2 with a grain of salt, but would like to point out one additional thing. Most forum software do not make use of heading tags at all. Figure that one out!

11. izumou

izumou Neophyte

+0
    Thanks for The Information but I am confused in the matter of H1 And H2.I am using smf forum.Does SMF have H2 or H1 tages.please enlighten me more on this matter.

12. djbaxter

+463
    I have no idea but you might post that question in the SMF forum here.

13. Dodger

Dodger TAZ Razzer

+0
    Not in the default themes, no. Most forum software do not use them for some reason. You can always edit them into your theme files however.

I did notice that phpBB3 does have them in their default style now, although it is questionable how theme authors are applying them (ie, one theme I saw jumped from H1 for the board name to H4 for the category names on the index page.)

14. Jiefred

Jiefred Aspirant

+0
    bullet number 3 is correct. Since robots are blind when when reading images, just use alt tag.

15. djbaxter

+463
    I'm pretty sure they're all correct. :)

16. famade

famade Neophyte

+2
    Hi Admin

Thanks for such useful post. I am Charles new to this forum. I am really glade to be a part of this forum..

Charles Steve

17. 3lite

3lite Aspirant

+2
  18. Taulath

Taulath Neophyte

+0
    I'd take the seoMOZ guide over this 'study' any day of the week :)

Example?
    Wrong, wrong, wrong. Take a look at this SERP: http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=eptopic+pregnancy

JustParents.co.uk ranks #2 (at least for me here in the UK), and the only place 'eptopic' is mentioned is in the URL (It's a common typo for 'ectopic'). The same site ranks nowhere in the top 30 for the correct spelling, and so it's fair to say that the keyword in the url is having a large positive effect on rankings.

Most of the findings in the report are otherwise useful --although I'd question stating H1's no longer help with rankings-- but the seoMOZ guide is the opinion of some of the top SEO consultants in the world, and whilst they do not always agree 100% on factors there is a strong correlation in opinion on the most important ones.

Once you have a page which is spiderable and has your keywords in the title and body, 90% of SEO is getting quality incoming links. I wouldn't worry about the small details too much :)

Rob - Search Marketing Consultant for a large UK online agency ;)

19. 4U2NV

4U2NV Aspirant

+0
    I'm new to SEO and this information is very helpful indeed.. Thanks for sharing it to us..

20. Jenie0109

Jenie0109 Aspirant

+0
    keying your keywords on the right place helps you earn big points:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.