What makes your online community appealing to members?

Discussion in 'Managing an Online Community' started by Lisa, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Lisa

Lisa Chaotically Proportional

+8,503
    Obviously, there are a lot of online communities out there and no two are alike. But, with that said, there are many online communities that cover the same subject - so what do you think makes your community more appealing than another within the same niche?

We know what will put people off a community - trolling, flaming, too few members, too few posts, over-heavy moderation, cliques, etc.

So what turns people onto your community? What do you do to keep your members coming back for more?

2. Steve

Steve Administrator

+3,027
    Good content and atmosphere.
    People like to feel wanted or praise, do that with "Likes or reactions" but also being sure to try to keep topics alive. Hopefully the community is welcoming to help with that. Get rid of trolls that disrupt discussions.

3. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,104
    Much the same as SteveSteve. I also do what I can to ensure that the forum platform promotes content rather than hiding it behind a wall of functions. In short I want my forums to be easily accessible to someone who's just bought their first computer/tablet/phone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Joel R

Joel R Fan

+659
  5. Nev_Dull

Nev_Dull Anachronism

+966
    In a word, comfort.

There are much larger forums on the same topic as mine, as well as many other blogs, wikis and sites. And my members visit many of them (as do I). But my members choose to make my forum the place where they discuss the things they find elsewhere. They do so because they feel like they are speaking with friends in a comfortable place where they can share ideas, debate, and disagree without being dismissed or attacked. Many of them have tried to join discussions on those larger sites, and haven't enjoyed the experience.

• Like Like x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  6. Lisa

Lisa Chaotically Proportional

+8,503
    I love this. I think it's my favourite reply (sorry, everyone - Nev_DullNev_Dull won the internet today).

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.