What keeps you going back to a forum?

Discussion in 'Managing an Online Community' started by Heardy, Feb 2, 2012.

1. cpvr

cpvr Tazmanian Master

+150
    Friendly members is always a nice reason for me to comeback to the forum. I also don't like dead forums, so activity is a plus as well. Because I'm the type if I'm involved on any forums, I like to make new threads for them and participate in whatever chats going on.

I believe activity, layout, and member-behavior are the three main reasons why people come back to a forum.

2. Heardy

Heardy Mindless Junk Founder

+2
    Thanks guys.

I'm just trying to get an idea of what I can do to improve my forum xD

Keep 'em coming!

3. Ricus

Ricus Aspirant

+1
    At mine they only register and never post...

4. tartan lady

tartan lady Aspirant

+0
    my members like the banter and esy going on my site so I have a few loyal ones yest still get ones that come and go cant please everyone i guess

5. Sandi

Sandi Neophyte

+0
    Keep your rules simple. If you make a new rule for everything that happens you will soon start driving members away.

6. Flexin

Flexin Enthusiast

+42
    Normally its the content that brings me in. I do a search for an answer to a question and a forum will be high in the search results.

To sign up and stay I need to be interested in the topic.

To keep me coming back it comes down to activity and members. I have one forum I'm on that I haven't been back in a long while because I don't like quite a few of the members.

I'm on a small forum that did have a lot of traffic but slowed down a lot. I don't go as often but I do still visit the site because of the people on it.

James

7. Morganna

Morganna Mistress of Mayhem

+4,676
    Addiction. Some forums are just in my blood and no matter what I do, I always end up back on them ;)

8. Guerrera

Guerrera Participant

+10
    I keep coming back in hope of signs of intelligence life.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Morganna

+4,676
    You're fighting a losing battle there, my friend ;)

10. Namorat

Namorat Fanatic

+171
    That's TAZ for me. No idea what I am doing here ^^

11. Morganna

+4,676
    It's the Hotel California syndrome. *nods* (I was referring to TAZ also lol)

12. Namorat

Namorat Fanatic

+171
    So Doc and Koto are the "Eagles Pair" for me.

13. GalPal

GalPal Participant

+10
    What brings me back to a website is the subject content, especially if I'm really needing the information which is why I joined TAZ. The "Why not join notice" flashed at me constantly while I was reading the viewable threads.....gave in...*sigh*.... :)

I appreciate the intense work that goes into managing a large board, while providing a service, in this case, a one stop place for information on how to manage a website.

Another aspect of my probable return to a website would be are the members nice, pleasant, helpful, respectful of my views and how they interact with each other is very important. If it's stuffy, unfriendly, unwelcoming then there is the high probability I won't return.

Feeling welcome is really a big deal. If the website is too clickish and ignores your posts then you would have to wonder what you are doing at the website.

Right now I'm a newbie at TAZ and trying to find my way around. I feel the least I can do by having access to all of these helpful threads on the topics I really need to research is offer a few minutes of my day to post, offer help if I can and show my support where needed.

I will continue to return especially if I feel welcome.:welcome:

• Like Like x 2
  14. TrixieTang

TrixieTang Admin

+1,908
    Being a sadist who derives sick pleasure from causing suffering to spammers can make you do crazy things.

15. CtrlAltDelicious

CtrlAltDelicious Bayerische Motoren Werke

+168
    Oh Koto, already having withdrawals I see?

16. Alex.

Alex. The Ancient Dragon

+972
    The unique commentary. Though that's a bit of a stretch, I suppose.

17. Soulwatcher

Soulwatcher Devotee

+185
    If its a new forum, it depends on the admins knowledge and their commitment. If its a old forum, it depends on how friendly the community is.

As a former forum owner, I can tell you this much. Forums take mega dedication and even then there is no guarantee that it will be a success.

Greg

18. rusty105

rusty105 Habitué

+43
    It starts with a question that I need an answer to, such as "What is the proper diet for a (insert favorite pet), or "What is the proper tune up procedure for....." You get the idea. I don't pick just pick the first one that pops up, I will probably check out 3 or 4 search results. And I'll admit, on a topic that I have no idea about I won't go past the 2nd page or so in Google. Now If I am looking for a new source for info in a topic, I will dig much deeper. I might sign up for 2-3 forums on a topic and test drive each for a while. If the content is fresh, and on point, I stick around. if not, I move on.

Some things that also keep me:
    Fresh content
    Little drama
    Quick page loading
    Intuitive navagation
    Multi Media (text only sites should be banned)

Turn Offs:
    Too many ads (subjective)
    Long page loads (due to ads)
    Poor navagation
    Having the same page, or part of forum called 2 different names
    Too much drama (some is good for activity in lounge)
    Big Egos not kept in check
    Mods that are not fair to all
    Too many posts on a page. 20 is nice, 50? Too many

Some things that do not matter:

Forum Script, paid vs free does not matter.
    Fancy, too flashy of a theme (just make sure it is not the default)

I am sure there is more, but that is what I can think of right now.

19. MichaelAllen

MichaelAllen Aspirant

+1
    I guess one of the reasons is that i just completely forget about the forum if I havent checked it in a while. Although I cant stand random emails I will say that if the email is useful simple and to the point, I sometimes will return to these forums as they are good communities I just dont always remember them.

Another main reason is Content and Activity. I have ran across forums that at first glance look good and busy, only to find out that a lot of the categories are filled with post dating back months, at this point i normally leave and never come back.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted