What is your main source of external traffic gain in 2018?

Discussion in 'Increasing Traffic' started by Shawn Gossman, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman Tazmanian Master

+1,948
    Thinking of how you get new members and views nowadays, externally, what is your go to tactic? Explain how you are making it successful. :)

2. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,186
    Publish big news (obscure research, exclusive info, release deals).
    The creation of youtube videos. Hit and miss, still good training for everyone.
    Generally being or hosting the upstream source of industry news.
    Principled organic approaches only, no shady schemes or underhanded seo gimmicks.

Removed by moderator.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2018
  3. BrandonSheley

BrandonSheley loving life

+950
    removed by moderator

To answer the OP's question, Google is still my main source of "free" traffic.
    Of course PPC will trump that depending on your skill set and/or the amount of $ you throw at it.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2018
  4. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,127
    I try to use social media but you’ll need to know where your users are. You do not need to spam social media you’ll need to be picky meaning if you deal in images you look at instagram or 500px for example. Its hard work to draw in people. I am still planning for my new site but it seems to get a large audience you do not have a choice to use other sites. 18 years back you bought 5000 visits to your site and hoped that a few would stick because you could target what you’ll needed but it was crude and inefficient now its better.

5. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,127
    I removed offtopic talk about databases if its not your database its stolen and we do not allow that here and how to find it.

6. johnmart

johnmart Aspirant

+4
    On the other hand, External Traffic Source refers to visitors who came to a page of your website from an external website. We can divide external referrals into two camps: huge aggregators that send large volumes of traffic and incidental links from across the web.
    - News Media
    - Social Media
    - Other Blog or Article Website

7. andieandie

andieandie Neophyte

+3
    I agree that YouTube videos can help, it makes sense since the main way humans retain information is visually.

8. andieandie

andieandie Neophyte

+3
    Posting on forums related to your website's content is a good way to start. I know it may sound like a lot of unnecessary work, but if you become an active member of other websites with the same topic as you, you will find fans willing to check out your website too!

9. GrrasSolutions

GrrasSolutions Aspirant

+4
    All the websites like Forum, Article, blog, Social bookmarking etc.… sites are very helpful to me to get more relevant traffic on my website.

10. overcast

overcast Adherent

+75
    For me I am currently benefiting from posting on devto. They seem to be pretty friendly. And they do look at the content that we post in the article. For consistent traffic it is working out for me a bit.

11. Questlot

Questlot Aspirant

+3
    My main source of traffic is Google, and I get 14% from social media. Am just hoping that my organic traffic will increase for my forum.

12. martin smith

martin smith Participant

+6
    Do promotions on Forums, Social media, Blogs, and social bookmarking websites...etc

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.