What Is Your Favorite Programming Language And Why?

Discussion in 'Programming Languages' started by ozzy47, Apr 19, 2015.

1. ozzy47

ozzy47 Tazmanian Veteran

+4,315
    Mine would have to be PHP, cause it is all I know, and I find it relatively easy to work with vs object oriented programming.

2. Robust

Robust Developer

+665
    Java because it's the one I know best, even though I hate it. Currently learning PHP and it's much nicer.

3. BioWarfare

BioWarfare The uphill battle

+137
    I have to learn Java in school, but PHP is much more useful for me.

I don't know PHP, yet. :cry:

4. ForestForTrees

ForestForTrees Participant

+27
    Why do you hate Java?

My favs are Mathematica and C. C clearly isn't right for most applications, but it's a wonderfully no-BS language and was the first language I had significant experience with, so it still feels like home. Mathematica because it's multi-paradigm and because Wolfram is an egomaniac who wanted to make a programming language that could do any sort of symbolic manipulation that someone might want it to do. It helped me love functional programming and Mathematica itself is a wonderful interpretive almost-IDE that has great documentation and makes visualization fun.

It's super nerdy and windows-only, but I also have a soft spot for Autohotkey. My girlfriend looks down on me for it, because it has some flaws from a language design standpoint because it was never designed for the type of thing that people use it for these days. However, it's got a great community and it is a super easy way to get into Windows application development and automation. The interpreter is open source and it taught me to love dynamic and reflective languages (Autohotkey isn't super reflective itself, but it's reflective enough that in the main AHK program I work on it wasn't very hard to write a very simplified interpreter and execute code in dynamically created string variables).

For web development, I guess I love PHP. It's not a beautiful language, but I do love the ecosystem of all of the free scripts out there and I love how easy it is to extend them. I'm a bit of a noob with Web programming.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  5. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,579
    6502 assembly language is my favourite programming language by a some margin. I was still programming in it up until about 10 year ago. I'm not sure why it appealed so much, perhaps it was because you could achieve so much with so little code.

I'm currently trying to improve my PHP skills which are weak by comparison, it's not a language I particularly enjoy though.

6. Klaatu

Klaatu Fan

+539
    I'm not a coder, but as an end-user I'd have to say PHP.

7. Danielx64

Danielx64 Developer

+1,396
    I also have to learn java at school and I was not happy about that.

My favourite language would be PHP and mySQL since that I know best.

8. Daniel Hood

Daniel Hood XenForo Add-On Developer

+480
    I'm most comfortable with php but I'm in process of learning Java. Unlike most of the people posting in this thread, there's a lot that I like about it in comparison to php.

9. Karll

Karll Adherent

+118
    Python, because, out of the languages I know well, it's the most flexible and powerful, yet simple and easy to use. It also has good and easily accessible documentation.

I don't mind the Java language itself at all, but I'm not a fan of the Java VM concept, and I'm not crazy about the dependency hell which so often seems to affect the Java projects I've been involved in.

Oh, so would you perhaps have experience with the beloved 6510 and the Commodore 64 as well? That was where I learnt to program, originally. Fantastic computer, and an amazing amount of software. Well, games and demos, mostly. I was involved in the demoscene for a while, but without doing anything spectacular. (Rather the opposite :p )

10. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,579
    Yes indeed, I designed and coded a number of games and conversions for a company called Palace Software :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. jekyll

jekyll Enthusiast

+76
    Could this be made a poll? I'd throw in Lisp then. Lisp is currently having its second coming and it's even used for some web development. Like Python, it has a package for virtually anything, and unlike Python, it has been standardized for some decades now.

12. emanuele

emanuele Bugs Developer

+201
    I'm now kind of used to php, but honestly I don't like it (Types? What's that thing? :eek:)
    I'm playing with java these days and I find it much better than php, the only thing is... which god (or demon) should I worship to have a line drawn in a jPanel? Darn!! LOL (Well, I'm just a noob, so it's okay I guess. :p)

13. jekyll

jekyll Enthusiast

+76
    You can use implicit type casting in PHP, but you won't have to. Java, basically, sucks.

14. Frizzy

Frizzy Aspirant

+0
    Java is the #1 for me, always liked it and still do.

15. jekyll

jekyll Enthusiast

+76
    What does Java give you that Perl or Python doesn't?

16. salar

salar Neophyte

+0
    Hi
    my preferred programming language is .Net and Delphi,i use Delphi an .Net because i can fined loads of components for them,in fact yesterday i come up to this site called Mycomponent.net it has a lot of components and applications that all work properly and it gives you a direct download link.

17. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+1,596
    6502 assembly was my first. If you liked the 6502, you should have tried the Z80/8080 and 8086 (and it's descendants) - much richer instruction sets and an actually useful number of registers. That's one thing I never cared for too much with the 6502, though I had a lot of fun with the processor. Take a look at the best low level hard drive data recover program on the market, Spinrite. Written in 100% Intel assembly, it comes in just under 170K, remarkable considering all the things it does.

C, is wonderful to me, but I came from an assembly background. C++ comes 2nd. Then you have all the C/C++ "like" languages. PHP is an example, the syntax would be a mixture of C with the simplified of variable handling of BASIC.

18. Flame

Flame Neophyte

+1
    PHP for me. I've also used Java, Python and ASP and find PHP suits my needs the most. In principle it's an easy language to learn and lots of tutorials on how to learn it.

19. lostone1

lostone1 Aspirant

+4
    Programming languages are for different purposes, CSS for design, PHP for database structuring, etc. I like web programming best at this time as it suits my capabilities and needs. I really like HTML5, especially the awesome projects that can be created.

20. Gosu

Gosu Aspirant

+26
    PHP 5 with oops is a great way to start programming. With this you can get basic understanding of object oriented concepts. Once you learn basic of oops and how things work, you can learn Java or other languages easily. The reason I like php is because its very easy to get into, but the reason I dislike is the same, too many newbies do things however they want and messup the whole code structure.

The web industry is moving to a more and more of client site development with NodeJS and Angular / ReactJS like frameworks. I've been working a lot with MEAN stack lately and it feels awesome!

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.