What is trolling?

rockerfox

Enthusiast
Because i feel it is a person who posts inflammatory or insulting stuff like saying that someone's hobby/favorite music/video game/band they like is lame or stupid.

But seems some use the term to refer to off topic posts or a topic they don't like.

Anton Chigurh

Ultimate Badass
The definition can be read https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll here. Off topic or topics they do not like is not the same.
Wait.... You're.... Telling us that we can search up any word or term we want to know more about instead of starting a thread on a message board, asking others the definition of words and terms? There's online dictionaries and encylopedias?

This internets thing is flat out amazing!

cornnfedd

Captain Futurama
First time I have heard of the "search" thing and this ... what do you call it "internet" or something?

apixel.nymag.com_imgs_daily_following_2015_11_02_02_troll_face.w710.h473.2x.jpg

Anton Chigurh

Ultimate Badass
For many years I called it 'innertubes' until the trolls swarmed in self-righteous foaming at the mouth protest and flaming. In a continued great act of defiance I did adjust, and now stick with 'internets' and the trolls think I'm making fun of Booooooosh and it's all okay.

When you troll the trolls, what's THAT called?

Anton Chigurh

Ultimate Badass
Actually I love trolls who start threads asking "what is the definition of trolling" I think I first saw that one back on usenet in the 90s... People react differently to it though. I try not to reply immediately, not take the bait and withold biting... But low hanging fruit is always soooo sweet.

we_are_borg

Tazmanian
Wait.... You're.... Telling us that we can search up any word or term we want to know more about instead of starting a thread on a message board, asking others the definition of words and terms? There's online dictionaries and encylopedias?

Its amazing what you can find. But did i help or was this a good troll that i did.

fixer

I'm In My Prime
Look at me i'm rockerfox “What is trolling?”

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
15 years ago, trolls seemed to be a lot more clever than they are now. Now, they're just phoning it in.

mysiteguy

Fanatic

Even more amazing is for people who can't search, there are instructions available (if you search for them, lol):

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=internet+troll

Anton Chigurh

Ultimate Badass
15 years ago, trolls seemed to be a lot more clever than they are now. Now, they're just phoning it in.
In most cases that's probably literal. They're still on dialup internet! Mostly for the same reason they can't troll anymore. They're dullards.

rockerfox

Enthusiast
For many years I called it 'innertubes' until the trolls swarmed in self-righteous foaming at the mouth protest and flaming. In a continued great act of defiance I did adjust, and now stick with 'internets' and the trolls think I'm making fun of Booooooosh and it's all okay.

When you troll the trolls, what's THAT called?
What i consider trolls i think would be stuff on Something awful,Encyclopedia Dramatica or such. Or those monsters from JRR Tolkien and Dungeons & Dragons.

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
What i consider trolls i think would be stuff on Something awful,Encyclopedia Dramatica or such. Or those monsters from JRR Tolkien and Dungeons & Dragons.

To me, the classic troll is someone who purposefully posts things they know will be offensive or controversial in some way to a community, in an effort to stir people up and get negative responses. I saw such a post recently posted here, which I spam cleaned, which berated XF and its fans. It was obvious the sole intent of the poster was to get a rush of community members to defend XF and refute the accusations made towards its developers.

zappaDPJ

There's a certain satisfaction to be gained from a malnourished troll so it's best to completely ignore them.

rockerfox

Enthusiast
I admit i been targeted by trolls in online games who told me "yiff in hell furfag"

I was a once a member of a vigilante group that went after said troublemakers in online games,but good thing i got kicked out of the vigilante group,because most of the attacks by trolls were so bad,they started to enrage me.

Last edited:

Zero Numbers

Adherent
As I said in another thread, the term troll is broad. Those who you may accuse of being a troll may turn out to not be a troll, and those you don't accuse of being may turn out to be one.

Some people are more easy to trigger than others. They'll enforce the meaning according to their liking.

Zero Numbers

Adherent

What about the thing that the camermen are chasing after in this video? Number 5 in the video, the first one.