What is the best strategy for Tweeting?

Discussion in 'Social Networking' started by DanielGarneau, Jul 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. DanielGarneau

DanielGarneau Enthusiast

+47
    The following question was asked in another thread from this forum:"What is the best strategy for Tweeting?
    • Tweet about your site, or
    • tweet about things that people that would enjoy your site would be interested in?"
    I'm turning it into a new thread because I'm beginning to use Twitter a little more than I used to, and I find the results interesting so far. It does seem to bring visitors to my site. But I do wonder what is the best way to use.

Any thoughts?
    • What are your practices?
    • How do you use twitter,
    • For what purpose, and with what results?
    Thank you in advance for your input.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  2. Sim

Sim Coder/Designer

+196
    I usually send a tweet when I get some very interested thread going on. I also tweet my "Forum Categories" every now and then. I also have a "Downloads" section and "Showcase" which acts like a "Game Directory" I tweet every time a new game is added. Of course I use hashtags.

It's hard to tweet about the game directory or "Downloads" to get people to add to it though.

I always use "#Hashtags" of course =}. I get visitors, not many converts.

3. Monkey Wrench

Monkey Wrench Enthusiast

+59
    I mostly tweet news about my niche with a link to a self-written detailed post about said news.

Configuring my site with the right meta tags for twitter cards really helped when I added them a few years ago. Not just the few tags that are needed, all the tags including a relevant picture.

Hashtag has limited result for me. Instead I sometimes mention relevant people in my niche who pick it up, retweet it or reply on it which results in a lot of traffic. But in the end Twitter doesn't get me much conversion.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  4. halley_tg

halley_tg Aspirant

+5
    1. I use Twitter to build my brand, perhaps you too :p
    One of the hottest trends in online marketing in 2014 is focusing on building your brand. Guest blogging gets your name and message in front of a diversified and growing audience. Twitter plays the same role, by providing an important opportunity to join the broader social conversation on your topic or industry. Twitter strategies need to focus on building your brand, which requires you to look at each aspect of your interactions on Twitter as a brand-building activity:
    • Are you vetting the content that you’re sharing for quality?
    • Do you have a Twitter brand guide to ensure that you’re consistently on message?
    • Is your handle and basic profile page aligned with your brand’s visual image?
    • Are you injecting personality, perspective, and insight into your tweets?
    • Does your “body of tweets” help reinforce your core brand positioning and expertise?
    • Have you created a branded hashtag that you own and use across campaigns?
    :v :v :v
    2. Furthermore, I use Twitter to integrate visual content, perhaps it's useful with you too ;)

If your content marketing strategy is evolving to include visual and video content, it’s possible to do cross-platform promotion of that content using Twitter. If Twitter isn’t one of your key channels for visual content, it’s time to change that. The addition of Twitter Cards has enabled users to showcase photos, videos, and infographics in a much richer experience. Think about how you can:
    • Choose compelling images to go with your links.
    • Communicate your brand through individual photos.
    • Curate galleries that use a few different images to give a better connection.
    • Increase interactivity by using Twitter to showcase your video content.
    • Connect your infographics to the larger industry conversation.
    :morganna:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  5. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,184
    - Post announcements. Useful ones, not useless fluff like new threads created (which create considerable noise). Post links to Facebook pages/announcements too, to increase conversions.
    - Get into direct/public discussions with Twitter users.
    - Ride hashtags of popular, ideally niche-relevant news with edgy commentary. Hope it gets press itself ('Donald Trump called Gordon Ramsay fat. You wont believe what he answered').
    - make your tweets count by adding an image to most yours. Text has very little visibility, especially in the timeline.

...that's all, really.

6. martindam

martindam Aspirant

+3
    1. Create and monitor Twitter lists
    2. Participate in (or host) Twitter chats
    3. Publish video
    4. Tag people in photos
    5. Post Twitter polls

7. Harry Pings

Harry Pings Aspirant

+6
    I send a personal message for thankful who becomes my followers. I also do a personal tweet them sometime. I always use Hashtag when I post anything on Twitter. My Facebook account is connected to a Twitter account so whenever I post on a Facebook page, it will also share on the Twitter account.

8. diadi

diadi Enthusiast

+78
    With XF I use the features thread add-on along with IFTTT. Features Threads has a RSS feed I tie to a IFTTT recipe. Threads are features based off of how many likes/views/replies it gets. Only the most popular threads make it to social media. Keeps the fluff off of the social media footprint. I'll also post news articles that personally interest me and retweet/reply to related content from time to time.

9. zoomer_

zoomer_ Aspirant

+7
    I don't know why but to me twitter is one of the hardest platforms to gain followers from and just being active as well. I can't seem to figure out even the use of hashtags and/or content that will interest more people. I find Instagram way easier because is picture oriented. Is it just me?

10. DanielGarneau

DanielGarneau Enthusiast

+47
    My presence on the web is text-based, so I have been using Twitter without all that much emphasis on pictures, although I do take images into account, especially as I share from other users what they posted on Twitter. Otherwise I write short summaries of articles published on my site or on my forum with a link to individual articles.

I would agree with you that it is fairly hard to get followers on twitter. My strategy is to follow people who post material I find valuable and complementary to my own purpose for being on the web. Some of these people decide to follow me in return. You may have a peek at my twitter account, my user name being DaGarneau.

11. zoomer_

zoomer_ Aspirant

+7
    That's an interesting approach you have. I guess, there is something more that can be done for you to bring more engagement to your page, but I think you are doing the right thing. At the end of the day, it is better to have 100 people following you and 80-90% of who are active- read, like, retweet and comment on your content, than having 300 followers with no engagement at all.

12. Dimples23

Dimples23 Aspirant

+2

Track Your Results This should go without saying. One of the best ways to get a... followers is to create a post that...just like bait, but for Twitter. So, what kind of Tweets are bait worthy...

13. djbaxter

djbaxter Tazmanian Veteran

+463
    Follow Trump. Watch what he does. Don't do that. :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. martin smith

martin smith Participant

+5
    Well Explained..Thanks for sharing the post..

15. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman Tazmanian Master

+1,948
    Twitter is best used when you are focusing on building a community out of your Twitter presence itself. Any social media should be a community of its own when using it to develop your brand. Otherwise, the social platform will likely rank your activities lower, if you are just posting external links and content.

So step one - build a brand on Twitter.

Next, focus on making sure that at least 50-75% of content posted on Twitter is unique only to your Twitter page but keep it brand related. This will enable your audience to know that if they follow you on Twitter, they are going to get something that they're not going to get from your other social media pages, websites, forums, etc. (Step 2, be unique :))

Next, engage on Twitter. Ask questions in your tweets, retweet other content, tag others, use hastags, use the location feature and be active on the platform. Follow people associated with your brand and converse with them, like their tweets, share their tweets, comments, etc. (Step 3 - Be active on Twitter)

I feel like the three steps above is a great way to start growing your Twitter page :)

16. BrandonSheley

BrandonSheley loving life

+950
    Are you asking for what content to post with twitter?
    Are you asking what tools to use to help manage your accounts?

For the first one it's really the same as anything in content creation, you want to provide your users with quality info. That may be posting helpful articles for your niche or searching out questions and answering them.

The second one could go on for a while, there seems to be a new tool on the web every week. I like buffer to schedule post, I like tweetdeck or hootsuit if I'm at the computer. Also there are 3rd party analytics tools but twitter itself has a decent one located here. https://analytics.twitter.com

17. Joel R

Joel R Fan

+764
    Be the US President.

18. PoetJC

PoetJC ⚧ Jacquii: Black Kween of TSSN ⚧

+5,327
    Yeah.. Sarcasm forthcoming...

I was gonna say that just tweet the most obnoxious and sometimes most egregiously inaccurate information and lies ever ... And the people will eat it up like Trump steaks before the company went out of business. I mean - who really cares if you get shafted in the process?!... At least you got the complimentary A1 sauce in a small small, very tiny bottle LOL.. Seems to work for the President anyway ((sigh...))

J.

19. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman Tazmanian Master

+1,948
    I use Twitter but find that Instagram and Facebook is way better but I still use it just to use it. I find that tweeting at least 3-6 times a day, spreading out the tweets will allow your profile to perform better.

I tweet in "clusters" though. So that means, I go around liking and sharing related tweets from other relevant profiles and then the last tweet is something of my own so it stays on top.

I'll do that anywhere from 3-6 times a day throughout the day.

I've found that manually tweeting gets me better results than using an automated system - but that may not be the same for everyone.

20. johnmart

johnmart Aspirant

+4
    Twitter is an online news and social networking website, where user post image, short video and interact with friends through tweets. You want more followers, engagement, and more traffic on your content. Get the best strategy for tweeting like-
    - Used Stunning Visual Images
    - Proper Twitter Profile with more Info.
    - Love Relevant Hashtags
    - Create and Monitor Twitter Lists
    - Post Twitter Polls
    - Tag Peoples
    - Participate in Twitter Chat
    - Post Unique Content and Informative

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.