What is the average profit per month on a successful forum?

Discussion in 'Generating Revenue' started by kelsdesj, Feb 13, 2018.

1. kelsdesj

kelsdesj Neophyte

+0
    Hey guys! I'm a student intern for looking to learn about launching a forum for my internship. We are hoping to build a forum for a supportive community of musicians but I have a couple of questions before we are able to get the wheels turning.

What is the average profit per month on a successful forum?

Also,

Does anyone know of any forums that are making money?

2. Ramses

Ramses Adherent

+100
    The chance to make a good profit with a new forum is very low. If you find a niche topic you're chances are better but you have to invest a lot of time and power.
    Do you think you can do better than this for example?

3. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,385
    I disagree. Like anything else, if you work smart and work hard, it can be done.

4. Ankur Saxena

Ankur Saxena Neophyte

+0
    Making money from forum is not an easy task you need to do lot of hard work and patience in order to get first $$$

5. pierce

pierce Habitué

+698
    Average profit per month is between 0 and 1,000,000 a month.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. cdub24

cdub24 Participant

+33
    Technically that's a range.

Really depends on niche. Ad revenue doesn't pay much unless you have a TON of traffic.

7. Alfa1

Alfa1 Moderator

+2,444
    Thats only the positive side of the spectrum.

8. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,758
    Technical speaking the negative side would be a loss.

9. pierce

pierce Habitué

+698
    It's an exact response to the question.

Example. You could have a million a month turn over with a million a month costs equating to 0 profit.

You could have another forum turnover is 10,000 a month and costs are 1000 with a monthly profit of 9000.

The second forum is more profitable but the first is turning over 12 million a year....

So the answer is a range of average profits that could be made from different forums of different sizes of different target audiences.

To add to that the million a month forum probably have staff wages and technically you could pay yourself 100,000 a month from that meaning it's more desirable... But not as profitable.

10. PurpleGemz

PurpleGemz Neophyte

+1
    I don't build forums for profit. I aim for sustainability. That doesn't even quite happen sometimes -- however if your passionate about a niche' you'll make it work :). It can be a very long time before it even sustained itself (and even longer for profit). Just be prepared to put a lot of love and community into the website.

11. woody

woody eternal noobie

+59
    My forum has been my sole income for 10 years.

12. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,385
    Same here.

13. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

+2,057
    That may be true for a few people, but (in my experience) the majority of forums are not run to make money (nor do they).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Philpug

Philpug Aspirant

+17
    We are working on making our forum our sole income..right now it is our main source but as we grow bigger now we will need more people to help so it will be two steps forwards and one step back but it is in the right direction. Our site is than 3 years old,

15. Joel R

Joel R Fan

+515
    There is no "average profit" number that anyone can share. It's not tracked or measured in any systematic manner and, to, be honest, you'll be fortunate to even break even.

16. hellasteph

hellasteph Tech Scum

+25
    Our smallest forums bring in about $1,400/month. Our medium sized one makes about $8,000/month. The biggest is about $14,000/month. (All in USD)

• Informative! Informative! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,758
    Thats a lot of cash coming in but how much does it cost per month to run the forums.

18. hellasteph

hellasteph Tech Scum

+25
    We had all our sites buy (not rent) their own dedicated servers and made sure we have the best operational staff.

Insider tip: we're a network so we work together within the resources to ensure costs are low as possible for everyone by sharing full-time resources.

I'm just speaking from example here but if our smallest forum is making $1,400/month, the cost per month break down is $400 to run the entire forum from start to finish.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.