What is favorite thing about starting a message forum?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Shawn Gossman, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman Tazmanian Master

+1,927
    If you've known me for a while, you know that I have made a lot of forums... One could easily call me a 'forum addict' and they wouldn't really be lying. Maybe, just maybe, my love for forums is unhealthy, lol.

But that brings me to an idea for discussion...

In your opinion or views, what is your most favorite thing about starting a message forum? This could be anything really, it could be something internal having to do with the forum or something external, having to do with the forum but done away from the forum.

For me, it is getting that first real member who had found the forum and joined without me exchanging posts with them or something like that. That is what excites me the most, I think!

How about you all?

2. ozzy47

ozzy47 Tazmanian Veteran

+4,320
    I think just building it from scratch is fun. Everything from getting the domain, loading the site, building the forums, styling it the way I want then adding content.

3. m0ldy

m0ldy Participant

+8
    Starting something from nothing. It's hard to get things together, but the work is exciting when it pays off. I had a successful blog before, and a failed forum, I'm trying for a new forum and not giving up. Passion for the technology is also a big drive.

4. Kaynil

Kaynil Aspirant

+7
    Many things excite me from when I am building up to after I release it, but what you said it is definitely one of the best moments I can feel. Specially if said member becomes active.

5. Maxxamillion

Maxxamillion Gaming Geek

+1,317
    People interacting and using the site I also love it when members are really great and give some positive feedback and that the enjoy the site

6. Alycium

Alycium Aspirant

+7
    It's a great feeling to come up with an idea and to make it happen. It's a lot of work but a lot of fun along the way. It's also a wonderful feeling knowing others are willing to join your community because you share similar interest. It's nice to see others just as passionate as yourself about the website/forum.

7. fbmac

fbmac Aspirant

+2
    How do you kickstart a new forum? I find it that hardly other people join if you're the only person on a forum, and most advice is from people trying to sell you something.

8. JaySV

JaySV Aspirant

+2
    i have the same problem, an addiction to creating forums haha

the most fun part for me is to build something new on a different 'category'.

I had few game forums, aswell as IT forums (just grudated it this january)

9. Jaymz

Jaymz Neophyte

+1
    I love building them up and tearing them down, which is one of the reasons I've lost most of my members.. I've migrated from PhpBB, vbulletin, UBB, Kunena, Buddypress, Vanilla and finally now XenForo...

I hope this is it.. for real (don't show me any other software!!!)

10. .Rogue

.Rogue The Thinker

+15
    Same as ozzy. I love putting it all together from the installing, creating the forum sections and setting up all the board features.

11. Empire

Empire Devotee

+508
    The banter and community.

12. StaticAge

StaticAge Enthusiast

+27
    I haven't had a forum since 2012/13-ish, but the thing I miss most is tinkering with everything. Like suddenly getting a random idea for a new feature or something to do with the style and getting it to work/look good. Definitely miss that stuff :(

13. Tomat0

Tomat0 Neophyte

+2
    To me, the very moment you get your first real member (assumming it's somewhat accepted/okay to help establish the conversation first and push some fake ones at the beginning? Not sure at the moment) is defeinitely the most exciting.

14. Senpie

Senpie Aspirant

+7
    Watching the community grow and everyone come together.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.